Performing Modular Live

in a bit of a documentation rut – any shot you’re still willing to post that?

1 Like

You can def do that. First of all one of the amazing things of the OT is that it can record and read from the same buffer simultaneusly. So if you place a rec trig and a play trig in the same position on a track (and make sure the assigned sample in the flex machine is the track’s recording buffer) you get that the OT will record and simultaneously play the recording it’s making.
From there you can do anything you can do with flex tracks including setting up slice markers on the recording buffer and then play back the slices all shuffled up. Though one thing I have noticed is that it will not keep the slicing info when you switch the thing off.

3 Likes

Awesome man. I’ve been trying to get at the sound of slices with simple freeze delay on the main track, but having something with a bit more control is awesome. I loved recording a sample 64 steps long, slicing it up and playing it back with a random LFO, cool to know that can be done live too!
Thank you!

0 Likes

Ugh. This makes me want one.

4 Likes

Please correct me if I’m wrong, there’s no way to use only one machine to playback the “smooth” sample and use the crossfader to switch to a randomized version, right? Gave up on that some time ago, but would welcome feeling like a fool if it meant having more tracks free.

I’m using my OT in the same style as @marcus_fischer and one thing that I’ve found useful to squeeze some extra field recordings at once is mixing them down to mono and using the spatializer to mix them live while playing the other effect / timestretch if using a flex instead of static. I generally only use one track of this because it’s mono, but setting up contrasting samples and crossfading between them works pretty well live IMO and can be a real life saver. Great for transitions too of course.

1 Like

I never use the time stretch feature. I disable it on every machine and really wish you could turn it off on the pickup machines. That and the ability to turn off the auto BPM feature would be by top two requests for a firmware update

2 Likes

OCTATRACK // uses / tips / tricks //

Ok, let’s make a petition, because that’s the two things that keep bugging me most as well.
You can save a project and use it as a template, so you don’t have to reset all the settings on the machines every time.

What you can do is the following: you slice the sample in say 16 slices. then create 16 trigs and have each play one slice (going linearly from 1 to 16, which you can do from the slicing menu using the “create linear locks” command).
Then you set up a random LFO and assign it to modulate the start parameter. Assign the LFO amount to a scene and off you go!

0 Likes

btw. if there’s any mods reading this: it might be worth to split this thread to a new one called “using the octatrack with the modular” or something like that…

0 Likes

Eh?

2 Likes

Right! Totally forgot about that (and I even posted there). So let’s move the discussion to over there! thanks @shellfritsch

3 Likes

@jasonw22 @Dan_Derks

live patch documentation:

i made this up as i went along. not convinced it’s the best system, or very efficient - but i had fun and it’s enabled me to tear everything apart with confidence.
green=cv
purple=audio
each color is a separate layer so i can hide things for clarity. only labeling relevant i/o.

this performance patch feels very structured and controlled. lots of i2c com and presets. a departure from my studio patching, where things are always changing and following new ideas. i’m looking forward to evolving this patch to inject more surprises and expressive interaction methods. i already use a foot switch and am currently thinking about incorporating ribbon & breath controllers.

not performance oriented, but here’s a mini patch note i made when i finally got a TZFM setup i liked:

16 Likes

Thanks @shellfritsch! I really like the simplicity of this approach.

2 Likes

Even if you’re not into techno, there’s a lot to be gleaned from this Surgeon live-set walkthrough:

5 Likes

What is this module on the edge (with 5 push buttons), next to Tempi?

1 Like

Looks like an Antimatter Launch Codes…pretty cool module! Thinking about picking one up to trigger my ER-301.

0 Likes

This thread is great. Thanks for all the insights.

I’m currently working on my live setup as well and am still unsure what route to go. My studio modular system has between 10 and 14 voices, depending in how I patch things.

But I don’t want to lug so much stuff around and ideally find a 3u system that works well and offers a decent compromise between portability and flexibility of sound.

Which also puts me in the looping camp to compansate for the lack of voices. As I only have a Macbook and Ableton that would be up to the task, I’m wondering if any of you guys rely on a computer while playing you modular live?

If so, what kind of controller are you using to play out? Push is great but also huge and heavy.

And a general question to the looping crowd: How do you go about EQing of the individual loops/layers? I find that when layering modular sounds, the lower mids get mushy pretty fast.

0 Likes

For lightweight, I get a huge amount of utility out of a midifighter twister. Three banks of 16 rotary encoders with push/switches. Each rotary’s leds can be individually coloured and have active inactive states which is super handy. Probably the lightest piece of kit I have.

Edit: Sounds like you need a monome though right?…

1 Like

Confirming its the Antimatter Launch Codes, amazing module like everything Antimatter. This together with one or two Brain Seeds is a sequencing powerhouse.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input. And yes, I do need a monome. And money to pay it :slight_smile:

0 Likes

@laborcamp Can confirm. It’s so fun. You can just bang in your rhythms and it takes care of the rest (including quantization).

0 Likes