Phil Maguire - ijzer en staal (or, more songs about mining and pigiron)

Coatbridge is a town in North Lanarkshire, Scotland. It has a rich history of industry, particularly iron works, at one time being the world’s largest producer of pig iron. Products made on the Clyde from Coatbridge Iron helped build the industrialised world, and by extension, empire. The history of the town is a patchwork of divides; poverty, greed, industry, technology, heritage.

Sometimes known as the Iron Burgh, Coatbridge went from a single house on a fork in the road, to vital centre of the industrial revolution, to struggling post-industrial town in less than 150 years. It is also my family’s hometown.

Next month (10th April) I’m releasing the second album examining these personal and civic histories on my label verz. Titled ijzer en staal, this diptych, realised on Serge synthesiser, ruminates on the themes from 2020’s Bairds of Gartsherrie (Beartown Records), turning the lens towards the physical processes involved in the production of iron. Monolithic forms writhe and swell, mapping mining for ore, hot blast process, growth/decline.

ijzer en staal is available on CD and digital, and was lovingly mastered by Jos Smolders. The layout is by Rutger Zuydervelt.

10 Likes

Excellent, looking forward to hearing it :+1:

2 Likes