//// pictures of our sound-making machines ////

What the hell? That’s cool!

I swear I recognize some people in some of those photos from hanging around Perfect Circuit!

I like that piece you have with the Monome gear.

Is there some other source for details other than Instagram?

Hmm. Maybe I SHOULD buy that Intellijel 7U case after all.

What place did you use?

This place:
http://www.cutadub.com

The shipping was really fast, and the thing looks indestructible too.

I’ve sent them a message since I’m hearing some warbling on the more pitched material (I don’t know if this is normal for dubplates), so will see what they say.

1 Like

king tubby
https://youtu.be/oMOl5eqJ-lc
'circut bending, soldering, 'making his own gear- all on a small island
¡oh, and getting world class sounds :slight_smile:

4 Likes

damn, i’m actually in LA. bummed i missed this!

pictures, gents, pictures! :wink:

7 Likes

this arrived today.

23 Likes

are those 3.5mm to mini jumper cables? if so where did you find em? or is there a decent diy how-to somewhere? would love a bunch of those.

No, this is just a mix of regular 3.5mm cables and some jumper wires for Folktek Matter.
BTW, Matter controlled by arc is super exciting. Send it all through 3Sisters, and it gets very cool!

7 Likes

running parc on grid 256 sending midi > Doepfer A-190-4->MI Rings>MI Clouds

9 Likes

20 Likes

Care to compare and contrast your Jones and Mordax?

I want one…but not both.

1 Like

haven’t used mordax enough yet to be able to judge fairly, and i really only use the oscilloscope mode on both so can’t compare them in terms of other modes, but i think both are very capable. if i had to pick one i would go with mordax simply due to the screen size and the fact it can display 4 signals at once - this is essential for firmware development. 6 is even better for something i’m working on but once done o’tool can move to a different case (likely next to modcan quad lfo…)

2 Likes

My Quad LFO often ends up hooked up to my O’Tool too :slight_smile:

I’ll be interested to see how you get on with the Mordax in the long run. I was interested when they announced it, but one of the nice things about the O’Tool is that it’s really easy to use as there aren’t many options. Alas, the £ to anything exchange rate is kinda awful now, so I couldn’t really justify one if even if I wanted to. I have an oscilloscope that I can haul over if I need to go deep anyway.

Do you have a mini rig for developing with? At the moment I’ve got a 3m USB A-A cable from my computer to the other side of my room. It’s a bit awkward really.

Anyway pictures thread…

5 Likes

i actually have an old oscilloscope i got via craigslist for $50, love the old CRT display but it’s too big so it’s sitting in a storage. i could replace it with something more modern and it’d be likely cheaper and more practical than o’tool or mordax but i really like the convenience of having it as part of my firmware dev rig (the main modular is also within reach from computer but it’s nice to have a small skiff that is dedicated to development).

mordax definitely wins in terms of being able to display 4 vs 2 signals - i found it to be a must when i have to track 2 CVs and 2 gates simultaneously. it also has more display options which should be super useful too. they also mentioned having additional modes where you can use it as a quad osc (if i recall correctly) or clock div / etc, hopefully simultaneously with visualization, which increases its usability in a small dev rig.

1 Like

Finally finished building this at the weekend. It’s… really very competent; I’m currently mainly running it as a Quantermain, which, though I knew it was a four-channel quantiser… I hadn’t realised that mode also had built-in turing-machines and bytebeats. Hunh.

Full disclaimer: I only ended up with this when I realised how beautiful the Magpie panels were.

9 Likes

Man. I somehow busted an encoder just this morning trying to build mine. Also, I seemed to have ordered an incorrect set of caps. I’m a little suspect of my soldering on the DAC to round things out. Looks like I’ll have to wait for another Mouser order to find out how I did.

that TSOP DAC is a PITA to solder. I had to get a hand with it and possibly lifted a pad - fortunately, wire to the rescue. Otherwise, smooth sailing.

What’s the one that’s not an op1?

Nm I e the answer later. Need to keep up to date in this thread haha!

1 Like

Yeah.
By posting some pictures!
:slight_smile:

3 Likes