//// pictures ////

llllllll

#2504

sp1200, not drumulator…
close!!!


#2505

This is my studio.


#2506

Little handmade 42hp case. Plenty left to learn, woodwork wise.


#2507


#2508

my last performance as a college student (on graduation day no less!) was last night at the boston musuem of fine arts


#2509

after pondering various portable cases options i ended up going the diy route.
The result is far from perfect but given my woodworking skills and the absence of any other power tools than a drill, i’m rather happy with the result.
I wanted a shallow case for it to be comfortable on my desk, and a deep lid to allow vertically putting stuff like a grid, a keyboard, patch cables and power brick in the compartment on the right. There is room for 7Ux84hp of modules, while keeping the thing light enough to carry.
I side-mounted the power module to spare 5hp and minimize unwanted encounters with the power button.


#2511

Lovely! Looking at making something like this soon. Any plans for a tutorial?


#2512

My approach was:

  • Buy pre-cut 42hp rails with threaded inserts
  • Assemble into rectangle
  • cut some old MDF - maybe 10mm thick - to size. Try to do it really precisely, realise you don’t know how.
  • try to glue and nail together
  • realise that splits the MDF, so drill holes and screw
  • realise this means you have screw heads all over the front of the case
  • chuck on some eggshell paint
  • try to design a new version of my USB power supply
  • when that doesn’t work at all, put in a 4ms row power

If I was doing it again, I’d plan a bit more, allow a bit more space around the rails - build a box they’ll fit in, vs trying to build a box onto them.


#2513

That sounds like how my woodwork projects go, only I have a few extra steps were I swear a lot and lose my temper.


#2514

Great pics! Congratulations!


#2515

Great, thanks! Did you mount the row power into the side of the case?


#2517

I drilled a hole for the power jack, wired & soldered that to the spare solder points on the Row Power PCB. The Row Power busboard is exactly 42hp long - although I had to put it in at an angle to make space for the W/ pcb which is the deepest in this case.

I then used a very effective and structually-sound method to attach the Row power module into to the bottom of the box, alongside the rails, under the modules.

It was definitely not a few blobs of Blu-tac. Definitely nothing like that.


#2518

looks beautiful! i also have very minimal woodworking skills and recently built a 7Ux84hp case and mine doesn’t look nearly as good. the compartment and side mount are great ideas, i wish i would have thought of that! maybe in v2…

a few questions:

  • is the power module mounted directly to the side wall or is there a bit of rail over there?
  • how deep is the skiff side/how deep is the lid?
  • would you mind sharing the source for those corner protectors? i had a hard time finding some that were just the right size.

#2519

thanks!

For mounting the power module i drilled two 3 mm holes, and fixed the module with M3 screws long enough to go through the material and put some nuts on the screw on the other side. I put the screws “backwards” so that the nuts are on the outer side (just in the very unlikely case they would go loose during a transport, so as to not have nuts potentially short-circuiting something. The screws “bites” into the wood enough to not move by theirselves.)

The depth of the lid is ~8.5 cm and the skiff is ~6 cm.

Here are the references of hardware i used:
2 x Penn Elcom Hinge Hook Over Heavy Duty Black 57mm wide P0625K
1 x Penn Elcom Strap Handle Black 7" H1007
8 x Penn Elcom Flat Corner Black C0670K
2 x Penn Elcom Mini Butterfly Surface Latch L0914K
Corners and latches need M4 screws, the handle and detachable hinges M5.
The corresponding claw nuts actually had all their claws removed; trying to hammer them in valchromat just results in the butt joints breaking. I added metal brackets inside the lid to help the joints.
And, yes, i forgot to buy and fit rubber feet ><’.


#2520

I added an Ambika to my family of walnut mutables. Man this synth is amazing! It was a pain to put together, but totally worth it.

The design lends itself perfectly to having a clear acrylic back. I was originally going to do this with my Anushri, but decided to mount that in a rack rather than make a standalone box for it.

Next project: a 6U 84HP eurorack case made out of Purpleheart (I ran out of walnut, and have a masochistic streak).


#2521

That’s a 20-character nice case!


#2522

Trying to compose something outdoor only with an Axoloti.


#2525

would love to hear some of your work on this setup!


#2526

loving the vibes that this little ikea lamp provides - especially with all other lights in the room off. the system is coming along - several pieces still being sold, others soon to be acquired…always a process

//
the latest addition to the family…:kissing_closed_eyes:


#2527

hey phil! of course!

i’ve got some wip’s/ideas/sketches/demo’s or what ever on my soundcloud. working on a new tape… and looking for a label that want to put it out.

here:

more to come!