//// pictures ////

llllllll

That’s often a good approach to take as it gives a fresh perspective and new/interesting avenues to peruse.

It’s always nice to come home a bare workspace after a gig, as it opens you up to do some long-overdue reorganization, but I also like how the acquisition of a few new toys does the same.

Had to re-shuffle my road case after buying a mini Flashback and Ditto off an old friend when I was back in Canada in December, and I finally bought a proper power supply as an Xmas present to myself. Really got tired of the mess of 9V adapter cables and trying to fit them on a power strip. Also pictured is a Moog Mother 32 that I have as a loaner from Muzan Editions co-conspirator @endurance. Barely started scratching the surface with what I can do with it, but I’m looking forward to getting past the RTFM stage and just started making some sweet multilayered drone with it through my FX rig. The Mother 32 definitely feels like training wheels for what seems like the inevitable descent into modular.

That’s a lot of delays! Nice!

How do you like the little Behringer mixer? What is it doing in your setup?

The Behringer mini is pretty handy. I usually run a main instrument through it to the Zoom/Boss DD20/Ditto X2 chain and I like having the option of putting different things like contact mics, electromagnetic pickups, cassette tape loops, etc through the main FX chain as well. The Zoom Multistomp is there for Reverb mostly, and even though it’s a little hissy/dirty in spots, I loooove the DD20 for its stereo delay, plus there’s a headphone jack in the back so I can run whatever’s happening in there through the other delay and Ditto as well. Good fun and works nicely for layering drones.

Finally I found the strenght to add my piano to the setup. Ah well, it has wheels…

Great sized piano. Perfect for the modular to sit ontop of. Do these types of upright have a name?

Yes it really is the perfect size for a piano. These were really common in schools in Sweden back in the day. And this piano was taken from a school for five years ago, I saved it from getting tossed.
We usually call them school pianos over here, but I don’t know if that’s the correct name for them.

That is a great piano! I would love to have found something like that! Real pianos just have such character, and they just always look great, whether they are real beat or real clean and shiny. Nice stuff!

Usually these squatter pianos are called “overstrung” which is actually a technical term for the string/mechanism set up which can be any size, but is usually used to refer to this kind of size.

I had no idea this type of piano existed! I haven’t wanted a piano in a long time, because they are so large and heavy. Reconsidering now…

That’s amazing, thank you. I wonder what the impact on sound is on these smaller units. Interesting.

We have a space at the top of our stairs that is about an inch shy of being perfect for a piano, and we have failed thus to find a full piano to put there.

I had a hard time finding one of these but when I did, it was for free. I don’t know if these are as common in the states as they’ve been over here??
A school out of town, where my wife was working at the time, was renovating and threw some old stuff away. She knew I wanted one of these so we went there at night and took it.

(It felt like an adventure; that we were stealing, but she had asked if it was ok…)

The Nord Piano Library has one of these sampled:

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/nord-piano-library/baby-upright

You can get a feel for how it sounds by listening to the mp3 examples there if you don’t have a compatible Nord keyboard to play it on.

piano shoppers:
in US at least, you see these terms too:
“spinet” : 40" or shorter
“console” : 41" - 45"
“studio upright”: > 45", may possibly be straight strung

(“overstrung”: bass strings cross in front of mid/treb. i think this is the norm for all uprights post 1950 or so. it doesn’t sound worse; it usually sounds better cause it means the bass strings can be longer.)

i’ve seen great sounding and bad sounding spinet pianos. there are a large number of cheap ones on craigslist in most major cities.

spinets have the action under the keys to save space and have distinct feel from larger cousins. (as pointed out below, the drop-down action in spinet pianos is more complex and liable to have issues.) look for a “console” piano instead if you prefer a normal action (which you probably do.)

Apparently spinnets are notorious for being hard to maintain as they are complex due to their miniaturization at least compared to a studio or full size.

often not as “Bright” as strings can be shorter and slacker, but there are a hundred and one things that contribute to the tone of a piano.

Also can be a bitch to record as there’s not much room for classic mic placements.

Just realized my An1x has a little lip on the right side top panel that holds Norns perfectly!
[edited: previous shot was way too blurry]

What about the Leploop? :sunglasses:

with the wood shell removed and muting I prefer these over an actual piano anyday. the action feels highly different but I learned on this so I’m not affected - I kind of embrace the lil bit of unpredictability it brings with it. I think the room and mic’ing is usually more important than the piano when it comes to sound.

bass is overstrung and sounds like crap but that’s what we have synthesizers for.

with two moves it cost me about a norns in total I suppose, probably worth it.