Please Share/Start Your Blog(s)

Bring out your blogs. This is a thread for sharing your blog, should you happen to have one, and to encourage starting one if you don’t already. (Like the threads for sharing Bandcamp/SoundCloud pages and Instagram presences.) This year, 2019, marks the 20th anniversary of the word “blog,” a practice that, of course, predated the word itself. I wrote an essay over the past week reflecting on the benefits of blogging, should it be of interest. I’m not a big fan of the word blog, but I am of the activity. I think blogs, for Lines members, are great places to document your musical practice, and to meditate on subjects of interest to you. I’m also a firm believer that self-publishing is at the heart of a healthy internet. Thanks. (If you’re looking for a definition of a blog, I’d say something with an RSS feed is a helpful way to think about it.)

24 Likes

Maybe this is a dumb question, but since I’ve got you here…

How important do you feel topicality is for a blog? I keep having problems deciding what my blog should be “about” because I have so many interests…

1 Like

Just to get the ball rolling, I regularly read

@Ethan_Hein’s ethanhein.com

@bassling’s showcasejase.blogspot.com

@darwingrosse’s blog.alllthingsmodular.com

Just to name a few.

3 Likes

I’m not sure there’s a “right” answer, but in a pinch I’d say it’s great to have an identifiable focus, and then to deviate from it on occasion. I have way more interests than fall within Disquiet.com’s purview, so I mostly keep Disquiet.com to what it is, but when things beyond Disquiet.com correlate in some meaningful way (like representations of sound in novels I’m reading, for example), I do mention them.

1 Like

Thanks for starting this thread! Looking forward to blog links. :slight_smile:

I’ve been in writers-block mode on this project for months so I haven’t written here since last year, but I started a blog basically braindumping my process of working on a generative retelling of one of the Pippi Longstocking stories here: http://blog.southseas.fun/

The story itself so far is running on a loop here: http://southseas.fun/

4 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Blogging platforms

(mod edit: split the discussion as to not ruin @disquiet’s original thread intention, which is a list of blogs made by people!)

5 Likes

Mine wasn’t even originally about music necessarily, it was about a lot of other stuff. Music became the focus because that’s the thing I’m most interested in, and it’s the direction my professional life took. But all the other stuff has a way of relating back to music anyway. I find I don’t always recognize what the point of a post is until after it’s public, and I have rarely regretted following an instinctive urge to write about something.

3 Likes

Thanks, @tehn. That’s a great idea.

For completely random stream of consciousness, one-off asides, unfocused political rants, etc, I use Twitter. For the blog, I like things to have at least some vague thematic connection,

1 Like

Hugo is a nice platform for building blogs… https://gohugo.io/ (I built my blog using Hugo: http://blog.reverberate.ca, but since having a baby it has been stuck in limbo)

1 Like

Yeah, Twitter is very much my public notebook. Frequently when I feel like a thought of mine has congealed on Twitter, I then flesh it out into a Disquiet.com post.

1 Like

What constitutes your blog’s audience? Your Twitter feed’s?

I have a hard time wanting to start a blog or Twitter feed because of the near certainty no one would read what I wrote.

3 Likes

My belief is blogging is valuable even if virtually no one reads it. It’s an important part of reflection. I elaborate in that post I linked to in the first item on this thread. It’s not for everyone, but like exercise and diet and meditation and book-reading, it’s for far more people than currently do it.

14 Likes

Ok, you’ve inspired me! I’d given up due to feeling like there was no audience, but I agree on the reflection front.

4 Likes

I used to write a private journal, then an online journal on my own website (mostly about the game I was developing), then LiveJournal (mostly personal stuff), then moved to Facebook (mostly complaining and posting links and little of consequence). Then I moved off Facebook and started a blog at blog.starthief.net

I find that writing for other people helps me clarify my own thoughts, even if there are no actual people reading it. It’s like “rubber ducking” in programming. There’s no feedback for 99% of my posts and I’m fine with that.

Mostly I write about music (gear, process, thoughts, feelings, whatever) but it’s not specifically a music blog.

5 Likes

Thanks Marc, I keep a few blogs on various themes.

You mentioned showcasejase.blogspot.com, which captures a variety of personal stuff – particularly family and work and passing interests in-between.

I also try to write a haiku each day as a kind of reflective process, which end up at highku.blogspot.com

My musical adventures, including the Disquiet Junto, goes to bassling.blogspot.com

Then there are a few blogs for photography, including landscapes at hghlght.blogspot.com and Australian natives at shotwildlife.blogspot.com and sometimes live music at http://firstthreesongsnoflash.blogspot.com/

A couple of the best things about blogging is the note-taking and the connections that opens, whether for me to find again or for others. I’ve been surprised at how some obscure content will take on a life of its own.

3 Likes

I don’t have a very good memory, so I write short memos or reminders for my future self on wordpress. Readership is not quite zero (thanks mom!!), but it’s a good way for me to keep track of things and can help organise my somewhat jumbled thoughts.

I tend to base my music on literature and just wrote a short piece about Ovid:

The whole Ovid project would have been impossible without LINES, where I met no less than seven kind and talented collaborators!!

4 Likes

As for blogs I read, some of my favourites are those by friends.

I’m kinda reluctant to share them because I’ve been using their phrases in song lyrics, but Alicia’s words I’ve acknowledged elsewhere: wakinginanna.tumblr.com

Aside from those already mentioned, I regularly visit musicofsound.co.nz

3 Likes

Thanks for inviting us to share. Here is a blog I co run with me immensely talented partner, David Sheppard - author of the brilliant Brian ENO biography On Some Faraway Beach

https://www.snowpalms.co.uk/

1 Like