Plonky

Sorry, yet another dumb question; can I change the mx samples voice within Plonky? I can only seem to get a violin sound, even when I’ve gone back into mx.samples and changed the voice to a different instrument. Thanks

1 Like

You don’t need to go back to mx. In plonky, go to the plonky parameters, and you can change the samples there.

1 Like

Thanks @Jensu , but I’ve tried that, and I can’t seem to figure it out. Can you explain exactly where to go and how to do it please?

1 Like

Edit: Sorry for sideways and dust:smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you! Really appreciate it.

Also, are more samples like these in a depository somewhere? Kind of like .sfz soundbank files? Or is it just these ones?

1 Like

I believe that for mx.samples @infinitedigits has to prep and add each sample pack individually. But i think there are instructions for hw to do so in the Mx.Samples thread.

2 Likes

Ok, cool. Thanks Jensu

2 Likes

its not a well-named parameter, sorry about that! that number is the number of notes in the scale between a note and the note directly to the right. so for example, the default of +5 means that if you play a C somewhere on the grid then the note directly to the right of it is +5 notes above C - a G. +5 is sort of a “mandoguitar” type tuning which I find the most intuitive.

oh no! I didn’t think about that. so are you trying to do the cc learning and its not staying on the right parameter?

3 Likes

mx.samples update v1.2.0

just cross posting here: Mx.Samples - #114 by infinitedigits in case plonky-people don’t see.

if you use plonky and are getting freezes or pops/clicks from too many instruments at the same time, then try update mx.samples to the latest version out now (v1.2.0). I hopefully fixed lots of problems occuring “at the extremes” with this latest iteration.

4 Likes

wow. this latest update fixed all the pops and clicks for me. i can’t tell you enough how incredible this script is, thank you.

1 Like

Arp / Arp+Latch doesn’t seem to work for me now after updating. Has this functionality changed somewhat and is no longer activated by just selecting the option with encoder 2/3? The lights on the grid run as if the arp is playing but there is no sound.

I also seem to be having some issues with notes not firing even though the pad lights up on the grid when just playing normally.

Let me know if you need videos of these behaviours?

Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve been very unfashionable and have not installed Plonky until now. I think I got it in a MIDI feedback loop between two MIDI devices. The drone is great, but might damage people’s hearing.

I apologize i didn’t catch any possible error messages in Maiden.

2 Likes

Made my first attempt at loading up all 8 voices at once today and really enjoyed it. Was thinking that some other timing divisions for the arps/sequencers would be cool to get some more gradual phasing to happen. (Probably a good place for me to look at the code and try to kludge something if I can get a few minutes of clear brain)

2 Likes

hi - first of all : love Plonky a lot have been stuck with it being the main thing i load on my norns shield for a while now - i get some unnexpected (i think behaviour) and i tried to scan the thread to find other examples - on changing a voice to one of the MxSamples i often get two voices plying over each other : so the Dictaphone playing over the felt for example - and sometimes the original voice is the only one I get - i am assuming this is perhaps weird behaviour and was wondering if there was a trick or something i have done wrong - check in Maiden and nothing unusual seems to pop up -

and i also often get different notes playing when i hit a grid key (diy neotrellis) - for example the screen shows i am playing B0 and plays what i imagine a B0 sounds like but will often also play a much higher note - i actually kind of like this as a thing but also wanted to check it wasn’t connected to the above

thanks (for the script and for the help)

1 Like

sorry for the slow reply - I’ve been in a wormhole of sorts. is this still the case?

what kind of midi communication is happening here?

you can add all sorts of divisions here, just change these two lines: plonky/plonky.lua at main · schollz/plonky · GitHub

the first line is the actual division number, the second line just shows the name of that division (make sure the indexes correspond, so if you add your new division to the end, make suere it is the end on both).

are you using midi or the grid to play samples? both of your occurences are really weird to me and I’m not sure whats going on, so any extra info is helpful.

2 Likes

Hi - thanks for getting back - i’m using a diy neo-trellis grid - i did wonder if maybe it was sending some unexpected notes but the expected voice (ie whether i’m playing a key on the left half or right half of the grid) shows back in the interface and the notes are consistent

however having just rebooted post update - it would appear my issue has disappeared…

so i think ignore me -

1 Like

Excellent! Works great just throwing in a few additional whole numbers (3, 5, 7 …) Also trying plonky as a sequencer for jf for the first time and loving it!!!

Time to stop messing around with things and hit record before I miss the sweet spot.

3 Likes

Oh dear. Sorry. There is no issue. Everythink works I was just confused!

1 Like

Is it possible to add this to the general menu under each voice? It would make programming long droney pieces so quick while allowing faster melodies on top. I’d love it!

2 Likes

What about add some percussion sounds to mx samples? Love it to play in plonky! Wonderful script! Congratulations!

4 Likes