Polyphonic earthsea for trilogy/ansible and er-301/just friends/txo

hard to say at this point, archipelago is still quite far away, too many other things that need to be dealt with first (some of them are really exciting though!)

3 Likes

Finally got my hands on a Meadowphysics to dedicate some hardware to PolyES :slight_smile:

Regarding sharing the I2C bus with a teletype… theoretically a DPDT switch for the I2C lines should work to switch the SDA/SCL pins between the 2 different busses? Im thinking a small 1u panel with 2 switches that moves the JF and Txo between a Teletype and PolyES bus. Im starting to use quite a few faderbank reads at fairly quick metro speeds so im not sure how the Teletype will handle being on the same bus as PolyES if thats doing a lot of I2C sequencing too! This seemed the simplest option

0 Likes

before you do try using both at the same time and see if you run into any issues - in my tests i was able to do that (even sending from both polyes and teletype to the same txo). i didn’t run any extensive stress testing though, so possible it locks after a few minutes. make sure to save your work before you test just in case!

0 Likes

No rush! Was just wondering. Still so much to explore with polyes and Norns to keep me busy for a while.

1 Like

Bumping this because Polyearthsea together with the 16n on the er301 is all i care for.
Both options would work for me. Thanks for your continuous effort! :bowing_man:

1 Like

yeah, 16n approached fast! i’ll see if i can make a quick change next week as it’ll likely be some time before i get back to working on polyes.

2 Likes

a reminder to folks that @bpcmusic’s TXb module can be used to turn your old monome trilogy or ansible module into an i2c leader when running polyearthsea (i’ve tested this with a TXb prototype). basically, with something like white whale + TXo + TXb you could have a 4 voice polyphonic set up in 12hp! get it while you can: https://store.bpcmusic.com/

and @okyeron’s tt-busboard-jr is another option which is also available now: https://denki-oto.weebly.com/store/p1/TT-BusBoard-Jr.html

4 Likes

Why would one need a TXb together with a White Whale and a TXo to have a 4 voice polyphonic setup?

0 Likes

because you can only control TXo from a teletype, or white whale (or earthsea, or meadowphysics, or ansible) running polyearthsea firmware. and for the latter you need something to power the i2c bus and provide pull-up resistors as trilogy/ansible modules don’t have that. TXb provides that.

a lot more detailed info in the i2c guide

4 Likes

Before I get deep in the weeds, can someone confirm that JF vox can be detuned using the PES mod matrix? Seems like the JF. SHIFT Teletype OP plays nice but it shifts all 6 voices :frowning_face:

0 Likes

you can transpose individual outputs by semitones but can’t detune. i might add a general parameter but would need to think how would it fit with the overall voice assignment approach (say, how would you decide which voices it’s applied to etc)

1 Like

Thinking about this again last night, I came to the conclusion that adding a “voice 1-6, or 0 for all” argument to the JF.SHIFT OP would be the most graceful solution. But at the PES level I guess the JF.VOX messages could be individually detuned. My chords are just too concordant! :joy:

0 Likes

do you have teletype as part of your setup? if you do perhaps JF.TUNE chan numerator denominator could be used to detune?

0 Likes

Yep, I’ll test it and get back to you! I’ve been extensively using JF.SHIFT with PES so far. The TT’s message tends to get dropped if it comes in at the same time as a note press though.

0 Likes

PES is so great that it’s distracting me from patching the rest of my system :sweat_smile: Grand plans of algorithmic sequencing melt away…

@scanner_darkly, is there currently a way to decouple a pattern from the clock and reset inputs? I’d love to be able to loop an unquantized pattern over a clocked one.

EDIT: Did some research; pretty sure my answer is no. And a source code review leaves me thinking that the clock function would be difficult to disable on a per-pattern basis.

2 Likes

i think it’s doable but yeah, the codebase is getting to the point where such changes are tricky and can lead to some difficult to find bugs. it could really use a rewrite, but then i might as well just start working on archipelago.

1 Like

Trying to update my WW for poly es today worked on MP but won’t work on WW I’m using terminal and OS X 10.11.6

Just curious if I might need a older version or?

Thanks for your time!

0 Likes

can you provide more details on what exactly is not working?

0 Likes

Sorry! Of course it seems I can’t get the device to be reconized therefore cannot update firmware on my white whale.

Seems to work on Meadowphysics when updating but not with whale

Hope this clears it up

0 Likes

so when you connect ww module in flash update mode to computer it’s not recognized, but mp is? are you using the same cable for both? try connecting it first, and then powering the module (with the front button pressed), and try it with powering the module first and then connecting.

0 Likes