Polyphonic earthsea for trilogy/ansible and er-301/just friends/txo

please say yes, please say yes

interesting, didn’t realize this could also be an option. looking at the docs it does mention the pull up components, so in theory it should work. this is just my guess though and i can’t say whether it will work and if it’s a safe thing to do - hopefully more knowledgeable people will comment!

There are 5 components to add to the board: a 3.3V Voltage Regulator, 2 bypass capacitors (0.1uF), and 2 resistors (2k2 to 4k99). These components provide pull-up resistance.

Yeah, looks like it has it all!

wow, more than a month since the last update, definitely wasn’t planning on that. multipass refactoring took significantly longer than expected, and there were a couple of very stubborn bugs. hopefully the bug fixes and the new features will be worth the wait:

• 2 new speed runes - increase/decrease by 10%
    you will now see 4 speed runes. the brighter ones will work as before, doubling or halving the speed. the 2 new ones will increase/decrease it by 10%

• octave range expanded to 5 octaves

• midi recording
    with midi keyboard plugged in use the front panel button to record. pressing it will switch as follows: playback -> stopped -> armed. since there is no visual indication, if you’re not sure if it’s armed or not just cycle through the modes until it’s playing.

• midi learn
    when it’s armed for recording moving any knobs will work as “midi learn” - knobs will be assigned to mod buses. i’ve also changed it so now module knobs will be assigned to mod buses starting with bus 1, and controllers will use the remaining knobs (so on white whale the 2 knobs are assigned to mod buses 1&2, and the rest is available for midi, for instance).

• midi channels are mapped to patterns
    when using different midi channels channel 0 will use voices enabled for the currently selected pattern, and channels 1-16 will use the corresponding pattern voices.

• fix: midi will use the current pattern voices only
    previously midi would use all 8 voices. now it will be limited to whatever voices are enabled in the currently selected pattern.

• fix: midi notes raised by 2 octaves
    midi range was off, fixed

• ability to deselect leader pattern
    to deselect a leader pattern press and hold the leader selection button and then press on the leader pattern.

• ability to use leader pattern as the master clock
    previously leader pattern only reset other patterns. now it can be used to reset or clock other patterns, or both. this is controlled by the 2 buttons below the leader selection button. you can use this to record a pattern and then use another pattern to change the timing - especially cool if they have different number of steps…

• fix: hanging txo notes
    finally! this was annoying. a super obvious bug that shouldn’t have taken 2 days to fix…

• fix: txo parameters not properly initialized
    txo parameters (waveform etc) weren’t properly initialized until you change one of the parameters, fixed.

• fix: external clock is not half rate anymore
    so i think this behaviour was there in ansible earthsea too. basically, it was counting note off events. to fix this i had to make a change - now when clocked externally it will use variable gate length (set on the gate setting page) instead of the original timing.

• fix: pattern start not working when on another pattern or ext clock

• UI improvements
    some tweaks - made mod buses blink on device parameter page (this way it’s easier to see what area is available for actual parameters), and when using help buttons it will also blink the buttons that you can use in help mode.

new betas are posted in the op!

what’s next: adding the ability to assign controllers to outputs - this way you could assign, say, shnth pressure to CV outputs. and major improvements for mod bus system - some very interesting features planned! don’t get too used to the current way of assigning modulation as it will change :slight_smile: this also means that i need to redo the video, so sorry, no videos until it’s done. this is the last planned update for polyearthsea though, so after that i can concentrate on videos. in the meantime feel free to ask here!

oh, forgot one more thing: added shnth support. you can use bar pressure and antennas as parameters (will be assigned to available mod buses automatically), and you can use buttons to control playback of patterns 1-4 - the top row will start/stop, the bottom row will pause. this is slightly wonky, sometimes it doesn’t register a press, i’ll try to fix in the next version. for antennas to work you need to press the red button!

Last planned for this year or forever?

the expansion into archipelago awaits!

yeah once modulation changes are done it’ll be a good place to stop and switch to other projects. i’ll continue fixing bugs, of course, and adding documentation / videos. and anything added to multipass (like support for other controllers) will mean it’ll likely get added to polyes (one of the benefits of using multipass).

@scanner_darkly do you have any further information on being able to squeeze the ARC code in with the PolyES firmware?

if you mean combining polyes with other ansible apps - yes, at some point i’ll see if i can get this working, but will be likely a while - after the next polyes update i need to work on multipass and grid studies (that’s the plan right now).

Forgive my ignorance but does this work using a cable or through the bus board someway?

can you elaborate, not sure what you’re asking?

To get JF to operate in Poly ES etc. What are the connections for this? A cable between the two modules, or?

Just read about i2c that’s what I would need correct?

you will need to connect i2c pins - SDA to SDA, SCL to SCL and GND to GND. check this page for detailed information: https://monome.org/docs/modular/iiheader/

the above page talks about teletype, with teletype you can connect just friends etc directly to teletype. in case of polyearthsea you will also need a powered i2c board: https://github.com/scanner-darkly/polyearthsea/wiki/i2c-set-up

Thanks! Will I need Teletype or will this work with WW? Thanks again for your help here!

polyearthsea runs on white whale or meadowphysics or earthsea or ansible and can control just friends or er-301 or telexo directly via i2c, teletype is not required.

I see. Thanks again for your help now to find some i2c cables, module!

I have been considering doing a ‘depth year’ in 2019 and the fact that I am still to even try PolyES has convinced me!

Thanks for making this happen, PolyES is amazing !

could you explain this a bit more :

what are the two buttons doing exactly ?