Polyphonic earthsea for trilogy/ansible and er-301/just friends/txo

will take a look!

yeah that’s because that button is already used for pattern start/stop. it’s a tough question because you’ll likely want stop to be pretty instantaneous too. but being able to restart from the beginning is very useful as well. you could sorta do it with a quick double press (not ideal though).

that’s the keymapping feature. basically, you can draw your own keyboard maps. 2 levels so you could show root notes etc.

that’s a neat idea!

Hey, this looks pretty interesting! I just updated to Ansible Earthsea two weeks ago and it runs almost already stable.

Though I am reaching a point now where it would be pretty helpful if we had a way of USB backup for all Monome modules. Would make it easier to try new firmwares and help debugging if it wasn’t always bound to loose all my stuff…

super amazing, appreciate the work!

jwill the original sequencer still exist for example on an white whale. Or will earthsea be the only program.

thanks!

this is INSANE!!! now i need another monome module, damn :smiley: :smiley:

Sorry for the dumb question but how does polyphony work with the earthsea Module and this firmware? How would I achieve this? Do I now have another reason to just finally get a just friends?

soo amazing!
i’ve dreamt of multi pattern recording and playback on earthsea since i first used it. can’t wait to start playing…

one question:
can txo be used as a cv + gate output instead of a voice?

thanks for all your hard work!

Thank you for the work on this! How’s that patreon/paypal link coming along? :wink:

Do you think that the lit-up fretboard style will come to polyearthsea at some point? It makes note orientation on the grid very nice! No worries if not, looking forward to checking out Orca once it is ported to Ansible!

From the “user manual” :

for txo there are 2 columns because you can use it either as a sound source or a cv/gate source

it will replace the original firmware completely (but you can restore by reflashing the original firmware). for ansible i’ll see if i can add it to ansible firmware.

you get 4 CVs but only 1 gate output on earthsea, so yeah you’ll need an i2c sound source for polyphony. but you could do chords with this set up easily as all 4 notes could share the same gate. basically, you map a voice to 4 module outputs and set octave/transposition for each output.

yeah as @unity2k mentioned you can use it either way. and you can mix&match - you could set up outputs 1&3 to work as oscillators and 2&4 to work as CV/gates, for instance.

this was done using kria/mp scales. as earthsea itself doesn’t have scales this feature is not supported, but you can still map keys manually - with a stopped pattern press and hold the top right button and then press any keys you want to highlight (and you get 2 brightness levels).

added a page for i2c options: https://github.com/scanner-darkly/polyearthsea/wiki/i2c-set-up

this would be a dream come true! i cannot give up on kria, too good a sequencer to not use it :slight_smile:

Excellent work as always @scanner_darkly!!! I’m a little confused as to what the powered i2c board is- can the Teletype iiBackpack be used for the connection? If not, what exactly do I need to get to make it work?

yep, you can use the teletype iibackpack! and you don’t need to disconnect teletype either, you can have everything connected to the same bus (you can even try sending from polyearthsea and teletype at the same time but the results will be unpredictable and teletype might freeze).

ah thanks!

i missed the “documentation” link first time 'round.

Awesome thanks for clarifying!

so cool, thank you x 1000 for all your hard work.

loaded it up today and maybe I’m misunderstanding some things. trying to play JF via i2c, here’s what I have going on:

powered i2c backpack on teletype
ansible connected to i2c backpack
JF connected to i2c backpack

and I’ve gone into the voices page, turned on i2c, as well as the JF mod button on the bottom row. I did see JF flicker it’s lights for a second I think after I touched the i2c button.

I then “mapped” the voices to what I think it looked like in your video, but don’t seem to be getting any response from JF when I play stuff. Thanks in advance for any help! I’m sure there’s just some step I’m missing here.

do you have teletype connected still? if you do try sending something to JF from it (try JF.TR 1 1 and then JF.TR 1 0, that should turn the 1st trigger on/off).

when you play do ansible outputs get updated?

doing so freezes teletype

it sounds like i2c might not be connected properly. can you double check that GND on each device is connected to GND on the backpack? you could try with ansible disconnected first, confirm with the above ops, then add ansible and try again.

double-checked all connections, including flattening the cables and tracing them back to each source to make sure they are connected properly. they’ve all worked fine as they are in the past for other situations as far as I can remember.

with ansible disconnected, JF.TR 1 1 did exactly as it should.

powered off and added ansible. without editing anything in the voices page, JF.TR 1 1 works fine.

As soon as I hit the i2c button in the voices page, all JF lights flicker, and another attempt at JF.TR 1 1 freezes teletype.