Polyphonic earthsea for trilogy/ansible and er-301/just friends/txo

this version has everything that ansible earthsea has (except scale based key maps) plus:

• simultaneous multiple pattern playback
  • octave and transposition can be set for each CV output
  • each voice can be assigned to any combination of CV/gate outputs
  • pattern start triggers can be assigned to any gate output
  • each voice can be used as a modulation source (x/y/key)
  • modulations can be assigned to CV outputs or any of the 8 mod buses
  • mod buses can be used to modulate any output parameter (including octave for CV outputs)

^ this doesn’t include any i2c related features (full list is posted in the op)

i’m also planning to add preset/pattern copying and arc support. maybe more.

Fantastic work! I’m working on a mostly non grid/monome project right now (my day job), so I won’t be able to delve into this yet, but I will do so ASAP. This and Just/Friends/Type should be amazing…

does anyone know what happens with 2 jf’s on the same bus?

new versions posted! changes:

• pattern copying
  • preset copying
  • arc support
  • bug fixed: pressing half speed too many times would result in pattern not playing
  • bug fixed: switching between arc/grid caused freezing
  • bug fixed: rogue LED on gate settings page
  • bug fixed: not being able to select fixed width of 1
  • bug fixed: glyphs didn’t save

pattern copying: press the pattern you want to copy in the left square, press the destination pattern in the right square.

preset copying: load the preset you want to copy, then press and hold the destination preset (i think this how it already worked in earthsea, i just didn’t implement it properly). this will save the destination preset.

while fixing grid/arc switch bug i added arc support to multipass, so thought might as well take advantage of it. you can now use arc - encoders will be assigned to mod buses 1-4, so you can use it to modulate any of the output parameters (such as octave or telex waveforms, for instance).

added a tip on creating chords from a single voice: https://github.com/scanner-darkly/polyearthsea/wiki/playing-chords

also updated the i2c setup page with a link to i2c busboard DIY instructions: https://github.com/scanner-darkly/polyearthsea/wiki/i2c-set-up

Αρχιπέλαγο…:slight_smile: looking forward !

Wooooow what a moment to chime back in.
So…uhm about the Just Friends Interactivity…not sure i get it.
This most likely cant do Just Type things, tune indeoendent voices??
No i am sure thats not even really possible.

So the interaction would simply replace the need of patch cables
ansible->Just Friends?
Or does/will this wiring internally offer any extra functionality?

In any way. Really amazing. I am fine with this replacing other Ansible Firmware. Good Time to really learn this thing

it uses just type for full individual control of all 6 voices. this is done by connecting trilogy/ansible with just friends via an i2c powered board.

you can play and record each voice individually, or play it polyphonically. you can also assign one voice to multiple just friends outputs, and set octave/transposition/volume individually for each output (so you could play chords from a single note).

You Sir are a mad man:D

Is there presently any source to get that i2c board?

as far as i know there are no assembled versions being offered at the moment, so your options are finding one used, DIY or waiting for @bpcmusic’s upcoming txb module. more info here: https://github.com/scanner-darkly/polyearthsea/wiki/i2c-set-up

Quick realitycheck for myself, since happy using ansible ES with an old 64 greyscale grid. Will i run into bad limitations/confusion with this ES and old grid?
Came to think of it by the separation of left and right square.

yeah, i’m afraid all the new i2c / output parameters / mod buses functionality requires a varibright 128 - there is a lot of information to display… i might consider including a way to turn on i2c with a preconfigured set up that would work on a 64 at some point.

Yap just studied the btw clear pad layout. Too bad.
An oldschool64 version, maybe reduced functionality would be a dream for me. Nice to hear you might give it a chance.

Maybe a switch? A function toggles between L/R kind of faking 128 by using the same 64 pads? Just thinking out loud

it wouldn’t be very usable - in most cases you select something in the left half and choose a destination in the right half.

creating a cutdown “64” version is essentially maintaining a separate version of the app for a very specific and small use case, not a feasible proposition i’m afraid.

to clarify, what i’m considering is simply adding a button that will enable i2c and configure it for just friends without having to use the new voice mapping screen (which requires 128).

If such a cutdown by button preset isnt a big issue/ much work to you and general functionality of the app for non i2c devices would be given, it would be just perfect. I do realize that only a couple of users would need it of course, so thanks for taking it into consideration at all!

added a new tip: adding variations

i’ll make short videos for all the tips hopefully this weekend as they are super easy to set up but text descriptions make them look more complex than they actually are.

I’m a little late to the party due to being out of town, but holy smokes, this is amazing @scanner_darkly! Hoping to get to try this out this weekend! I do hope you can fit all the original apps back onto Ansible but this is looking like it could merit a second if not.

Is this config still working well for you @unity2k? Mine wouldn’t have as many i2c devices but would otherwise be similar. Are TT and Ansible PolyES both able to be master in this setup as long as they are not trying to control the same things at the same time?

yeah, it should be fine. in one of my cases i had tt / txo / jf / mp all connected together and i was even able to send from both mp running polyes and teletype at the same time and it seemed to work which i didn’t expect. it’s possible though it might cause some issues (including freezing tt). you can always switch i2c off on polyes if you need to use it for teletype (this actually changes polyes to be an i2c follower and it should respond to earthsea ops from tt - i haven’t tested this yet though).

@scanner_darkly is it possible to set the range of jf voice transposition? I cant seem to get it to work

transposition is the only parameter for which you can’t select a range (i should add it to the wiki). i just thought it wouldn’t really be all that useful (it would make more sense if you could also select a scale). but maybe i should add it just so that it’s consistent with the rest of parameters. another option i’m considering is allowing to select several values instead of a range, and then modulation would be applied to those values only.

re: your earlier question about 2 just friends being connected at the same time - not sure what would happen actually! possible they will both respond, or maybe it wouldn’t work at all. curious if you tried it?