Polyphonic earthsea for trilogy/ansible and er-301/just friends/txo

thanks! i will try to score a trilogy ES :slight_smile:

Any news on that 64 JF sidehack? Also if news means no.
I think i am kind if of making my decision to keep jf or not on it.
With such a small user case i might better not counting on i guess

to answer with the best of my knowledge at this point i would say that the 64 mod is not likely to happen (for the record, what i said was that i might consider it but there were no timelines given). it’s not that difficult but it is a pretty special use case. and it’s not just the case of “if it’s easy why not just do it then” - any code that is added means more code to maintain and more documentation to write, so even smallest features must be carefully considered.

i just want to say in general i can only provide very vague timelines. i work on firmware in my spare time, often an hour or two after my coding day job. so it’s very difficult to plan even the things i actually want to work on, other things come up, my plans change etc etc. i understand people want to have some idea so they can plan their purchases but those are your decisions in the end, and i cannot provide any guarantees on when things will get implemented, or if they even will.

Just trying to make sense of this and forgive my noobness. Can I use this with any monome module like white whale, ansible etc?

Just about to take the leap into monome thank you all for the knowledge!

forgot to reply to this - it could be done but the big question is how would it work? one way could be recording a pattern while you have an external clock plugged in, so in addition to notes it would record the phase relationship relative to the clock and then somehow preserve it during playback. this would be difficult to implement, and not sure it would provide satisfactory results anyway. a simpler approach could be simply treating the ext clock as pattern start and stretching/shrinking a recorded pattern to that.

the easiest option might be adding runes for small speed adjustments (i think this will be very useful regardless), and using ext trigger not to clock but as a pattern reset. so, record with whatever feel you want to have, then sync pattern playback to ext trigger and adjust speed to taste.

polyearthsea will run on any of the trilogy modules (white whale, earthsea, meadowphysics) or ansible. if you’re not planning to use i2c then the obvious deciding factor is what outputs are more important to you (CV or gates).

Thats why i asked because the same was my guess of the situation, in no way it was supposed to be pushy or the like and hopefully didnt come off such way. I am a happy camper with polyes Ansible, its not limited at all to i2c and an awesome archievment

this sounds perfect.

Ok and just to clarify Earthsea, white whale both send cv meadow physics sends gates?

I apologize again if this may be a dumb question. :joy:

earthsea: 4 CV outputs, 1 gate
white whale: 2 CV, 4 gates
meadowphysic: no CV, 8 gates

Will the new orca then be able to have 8 tracks when you release it? I’m looking for a way to use one of the monome apps/modules to do pattern based trig sequencing to replace my varigate 8. Will be used to mostly trigger envelopes and sync LFOs. I tried doing this on meadow physics but am having a hard time getting patterns I’m trying to get, probably due to my inability to imagine how my patterns look like in that app. With kria is much easier, and now with you saying that you’re only doing it for orca, I’m hoping that could maybe work, though speaking as someone who has never used orca.

yeah i’d like to be able to take advantage of more voices for orca. but while it’s definitely possible to create interesting polyrhythmic trigger patterns with orca it doens’t work as a regular trigger sequencer - white whale might be a better fit for it as it will give you 4 trigger tracks with various playback options and probability.

But the 4 track is a limitation, would prefer something with at least 6-8…

How about with TT, would it be easy to program something like that? That uses JustType to trigger the 6 envelopes w or w/o Grid ops? I still don’t have TT, is arriving soon, so have to just try to imagine what could be possible.

I’ve been having fun using (Ansible) Meadowphysics for percussion sequencing by patching a slowish clock into the Reset (2) input to define the length of a bar, then starting from a baseline sequence where all the active rows are in the same column. Then I can set some rows to different columns to deviate from this straight rhythm. It’s maybe not as direct as programming triggers in Kria but it’s a really fun interface - you can quickly change up the pattern or sorta add fills by tapping a button that’s already active, especially if it’s resetting other rows with similar lengths.

YES! After posting the last post, I was trying it out again with Meadowphysics with a reset and it is usable for what I’m trying to do, will post a video later, quite happy with the results of Kria + MP.

it would be very straightforward to program a trigger sequencer with teletype grid ops, see this: https://github.com/scanner-darkly/teletype/wiki/TRIGGER-SEQUENCER

a gentle reminder we’re getting pretty off-topic - might be a good question for a separate thread.

Sorry for carried away, apologies!

It really does! I like that it has a tape loop feel. Really hope this happens.

yeah, runes for smaller speed adjustments are definitely coming, likely in the next update. i’ve been making some major changes in the code to make it more stable and prepare multipass for public release so the next version is taking a bit longer than expected. i’m hoping to have next beta available early next week with the main focus on fixing outstanding buts, but some smaller features (like gradual speed runes) will likely make it too.

i’m thinking +/-10% adjustments should work?

newby question but I though this was done through i2c so what do the gate and cv outs of the modules get used for? Thank you in advance

you can configure any of the following:

• note
  • note key
  • note x coordinate
  • note y coordinate
  • pattern start

to be sent to any of the following:

• any CV/gate outputs (whichever are available on the module)
  • jf/txo/er-301
  • or any combination of the above

this is completely configurable. you could use all available CV/gate outputs for notes, you could send notes to i2c devices and use CV/gate outputs for modulation and triggers from notes and patterns, you could split - use first 2 CV/gate outputs for notes and the rest for modulation. you could send the same voice to multiple outputs too and (by setting individual transposition) you’ll get chords from single notes. any possible combination really.