Pre-release Hype Megathread

Dedicated Beads discussion thread started by @xidnpnlss:

4 Likes

That’s great. Very interesting to read and see illustrations of the design process and the decisions made to bring the module to life. I really love this kind of openness.

Be good to move that post to the Beads thread before it gets swallowed up here.

2 Likes

Agreed. I for one would like it if all the post-release info and videos were in the Beads thread. Might be a big chore though.

There’s a wormhole between July 2019 and July 2020 :slight_smile:

Maybe she took a gap year? :rofl:

Well the first half of 2020 wasn’t exactly ideal for supply chains of boutique musical equipment, among other, more important things haha. Also had blades to finalize too.

1 Like

Thank-you.
I think it’s been released now.

you were right

https://disquiet.com/2021/02/14/gallery-grid-refinement/

22 Likes

The grids are complete as an instrument. I would be shocked if features had been added at this late stage. There is a whole ecosystem (and arguably mindset) based on “it’s just a grid of buttons”. Adding a significant new feature like pressure sensitivity or colors or whatever would introduce the need to rethink a number of projects and code bases and just introduce a ton of coding work for both monome itself and the surrounding ecosystem. I get the sense they want to make time for new things. The grid is good as is. Making it more like the other grid instruments seems counterintuitive to me.

10 Likes

i agree! i would still love a pressure sensitive grid :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

You’d probably have to implement the API yourself but you could get there with the Linnstrument. The firmware is open source. Though it isn’t buttons as much as a huge sensor so it feels different. Launchpad(s) might be the closest option but you might have to script the lights via MIDI which might require optimizations vs the “refresh the lights” approach most seem to take over the grid’s serial connection.

Interesting! @tehn will you be publishing details at some point soon?

when the time is right— but yes, please don’t expect radical changes— why mess up something that is basically perfect? :wink:

42 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLpMuMGhx4v/?igshid=1byetwpph7ouk

Looks like a granular mode is coming to the Disting EX :heart_eyes_cat:

15 Likes

demoing the Vortices here

6 Likes

New York Modular Society did a special show with SSF last month to showcase the Vortices and it was really dope! All the sets are on the YouTube!

4 Likes

I completely agree except one thing : I would argue that “pass on some price savings.” is quite a big feature improvement for the grid !

You mean like Maschine/Push sort of thing? (ie. post pressing the button) It could be nice it’s true. But it’d be a complete redesign (because it wouldn’t be interesting if it’s not per-button sensitivity, with poly aftertouch).

The thing is I wouldn’t really care for velocity sensitivity but it could be enjoyable to have pressure sensitivity (because the buttons are too small for that mostly) so it’s a bit of a tie.

2 Likes

will have to check those out!

1 Like

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 11.46.52
now it would be good time to start the promotion

3 Likes

Ohhhhhh Myyyyy Gosh!!!

Purchased following this demo, insane sounds.

Peace

3 Likes