Pre-release & Ordering Hype Megathread

But old things don’t hype. They tower and soothe.
And our yearnings look elsewhere.

2 Likes

norns updates would like a word :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I am here for old-things hype!

Personally pumped for this instrument, “used by all the principle concert troupes whenever attainable.” (supply-chain shortages as old as time)

7 Likes

Post-release Hype Megathread IS IN THE HOUUUUUUUSE

6 Likes

I have nothing to say I’m just writing a post as you’d cast a spell to keep the hype away.

9 Likes

all right, let’s try it! Old Things Hype Megathread

17 Likes

Buchla/TipTop collab available for pre-order at Control. What do y’all think of these? I’m so blinded by the hype that I can’t actually decide if they’re worth picking up.

Link

9 Likes

Leaving aside that these are based on Buchla designs, these seem more affordable than average Eurorack modules for the same functionality. If anything I would have thought that these might be a little more expensive than average, considering I assume TipTop must be splitting profits or paying some sort of royalty to Buchla USA.

11 Likes

I’m sure they could’ve charged more of a premium, but my guess is that they are trying to beat Bhuclinger to the punch.

8 Likes

“For all of those asking “how can I make sure I don’t miss out on these”: We made a large quantity of each, and they will ship to the shops in three batches, first one at the end of this week, second will be around early/mid Feb and a third one around March. The first batch is ready to ship on time, the timing of the second seems ok too, the shipping date of the 3rd batch might be affected by parts availability.”

^ In regards to the TipTop Buchla Modules :slight_smile:

11 Likes

naah, I personally have zero sympathy for the ongoing reissuing trend of “classical synths” but you do you. For me the modern Buchla modules look much more interesting, especially 252e, one of the last modules Don designed…

2 Likes

Thanks for this, good to know I can wait til i get paid to grab a pre-order

2 Likes

edit: well, the oscillators are back in stock at Control… the moment I got the email I made the snap decision to go grab one & a Function Generator too! I was going to wait til the second batch, but this one just really checks the boxes for me.

I think this is how I will rock until the LPG drops:

10 Likes

Reporting back: I definitely notice the latency when playing live, especially more percussive sounds. I could probably configure Live to have less latency, but it feels like the hit is on the beginning of the release and not the initial attack. Its quick enough that you can compensate but it definitely feels off. For sequencing I don’t notice the latency at all.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. I might hold off for now and circle back later in the year.

Did you catch this on the WR website?

We’ll be closed from February 1, 2022 through May 1, 2022. New creations are in the works, and they need undivided attention. Support requests will be handled one day a week. Thanks for your understanding & look forward to sharing more soon.

Missed oppertunity from the latest batch, not looking great for getting any WR gear in first quarter of 2022. Oh well!! Announcement of new works is very exciting!!

8 Likes

I found this blog post that describes a scale for hype:

I think it might be relevant to this discussion.

6 Likes

I read some of it up to “…creating new markets, making you heaps of money…” and promptly backed the F out.

4 Likes

what would be considered Level 5 right now? New WR modules?

1 Like

Excited about the possibility of new WR, I’ve not been paying attention for any of their previous releases. How do they usually release? Does something just appear all of a sudden or do they tease it?
I’m also not sure if they’re working on something for a few months now whether we should expect something new in May or whether it’ll be next year before anything becomes available. I realise it’s all speculation anyway but would be good to hear from anyone who has witnessed their release cycles before.

1 Like