Print zines and publications

In the spirit of organization and an informed community, I propose a single thread for those of us publishing/interested in print zines. I’ll start:

Deft Esoterica is a print-only zine focused on experimental music and sound art. Issue one has interviews with our own @philmaguire , the lovely Iranian duo NUM, and Portuguese drone mastermind Angelo Vicente Jr. Reviews of albums by:
Amulets
AsthmaFilm (Brandon Auger)
@benjamin_mauch and OAHU
Calineczka
Chemiefaserwerk
David Applegate
Ludwig Berger & Veronika Ehrensperger
Mark Lyken
Matt Norman & Max Hamel
@midcenturymodular
@mlogger
Pain Chain
Snmtmns
Vansky
@zuliani

Of course some of my own thoughts are in here as well! Long live the printed word!

32 Likes

My zine is called Corrigan’s Erratic Manfiest.

You can read a “review” of it from January of this year here. You can see the covers of previous issues here.

I’m delighted to be able to share it with a number of members of this community - thank you Claude for starting this thread.

22 Likes

Very excited to read this, thanks so much for including a review of my record (I’m midcentury modular btw)!

I really like zines! Similar to cassettes, I feel like they allow someone to create a physical edition of their art and thoughts with a small upfront cost and the ability to not make a ton of copies to reach some sort of scale where it “makes sense”

Here is my small collection.

7 Likes

^^^ It me + thanks also for reviewing my cassette!

“Deft Esoterica” is definitely worth a read. The interview with NUM is bonkers.

3 Likes

Do they have to be music/modular related? I do a lot of print stuff, but it’s all funny/weird bits and bobs that doesn’t have anything to do with music.

6 Likes

Can’t speak for anyone else but I would definitely love to see them!

I do my own bits and bobs and fun typography zines as well as some photo and graffiti zines. All about sharing the arts : )

4 Likes

@zaneschaffer @tomlxndr I would love to take a look at both of your zines ~

Also any tips on printing and binding techniques?
Saddle stitching is ok but I love cleaner/more original looks (specially for 100+ pages) and would love to hear how others do it.

2 Likes

Don’t know if these are ‘zines’. I tend not to do multiple issues. One idea, a few copies and then on to the next thing. I’m very much about short print runs though. I’ve been running a physical mailing list for 3-4 years now, sending out things now and then.(Trying not to post too many images, but…)

This is the seven days in the life of Solomon Grundy, presented as sticks of gum.

A tiny piece of adult entertainment for rodents.

Pamphlet recasting drum and bass as a 17th century political movement.

Latest project is a collection of forms for the reader to fill in, imaginatively titled ‘Forms’.

@nonwaved I’m not the best to ask about binding techniques, tbh. If it’s more than I can staple, I usually get it printed and bound out of house, either by print-on-demand providers (‘Forms’ was done with IngramSpark) or smaller copy-shop style providers (Doxdirect in the UK). I was going to go on a bookbinding course next month, but I forgot to book it and now it’s sold out :frowning:

30 Likes

They are

and I love them

4 Likes

Wow. I am … blown away.

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s nice to hear. I’ve been trying to be less shy about sharing work, both online and in person. Does anyone know of a lines-like community for print?

2 Likes

A photozine I put together for my recent cassette release. Risograph w/ some full color pages:

26 Likes

Gorgeous!
What is risograph?

2 Likes

Thanks! Risograph is a printing process that falls somewhere between screen printing and xerox copying. The machine looks like an old xerox machine but you print 1 spot color at a time like screen printing

3 Likes

Can you feed legal sized paper into a Risograph?

1 Like

I really need a copy of The Tenets of Junglism!

2 Likes

Tenets of Junglism-wm.pdf (256.1 KB)
(double-sided, tri-fold)
Big up ye chest!

8 Likes

This is incredible. Thank you for sharing.

3 Likes

Wow, I am taking a break from packing some zine orders and just have to say how cool this thread is already! Thanks for the kind words and for sharing everyone!!!

1 Like

Simple answer yes

From memory width of paper matters more than length

But i think the machine might be more likely to jam with legal sheets

2 Likes