Prototyping Nearness, a minimal panning mixer module

Quick question: where did you buy the gold nuts?

1 Like

i just cannibalized them some some stereo switcher thingers i had laying about

0 Likes

Ahhhhhh I’m lookin’ for them and can’t seem to find any for sale…

0 Likes

That looks so sleek. Love it. The gold nuts are perfect!

1 Like

Something beautiful in the mail.

10 Likes

Hi there. A quick note that I’ll be opening up my store on Monday at 2 PM PST with a bunch of 2HP Nearness (TXn) for sale. Full details are here:

7 Likes

So top/bottom is output. is that corresponding to L/R in stereo? The middle inputs will be ‘centered’ and the closer you get to the outputs they are panned more to that direction I’m guessing.

“The closer you are to an output, the louder your signal will be there (and the quieter it will be in the corresponding output).”

So this means the middle will be the loudest and the more you pan to L/R it gets quieter? Have a ratio for this?

This seems like an amazing module! Just bought it. :smiley:

0 Likes

You got it!

The pan law closely approximates constant-power, so if you’re monitoring the two outputs in stereo, all inputs should sound about as loud (electronic, acoustic and psychoacoustic caveats apply).

As for the spacing, I’ve been meaning to write about this, but in brief: imagine seven speakers arranged in a semicircle in front of you, 22.5 degrees apart. Nearness is a simple model of that.

6 Likes

Been reading through the whole thread in an attempt to figure out if the module is — in its latest incarnation — DC or AC coupled (personally would prefer the latter, since Mangroves tend to have a decent offset …). I assume it is now DC coupled?

@bpcmusic How did you implement it in your version?

Many thanks for all the great work and informative insights further up this thread, @billyhologram! :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I implemented the panning portion exactly as designed by @billyhologram. My version only reduced the size of some of the parts and swapped out the power section for the standard one that I implement in 2HP. I don’t have the schematics handy, but I seem to remember @billyhologram making it DC coupled prior to releasing the schematics.

4 Likes

Yup, it is indeed DC coupled.

5 Likes

wasn’t sure whether to post this in the Telex thread or this one, but anyway, received my @bpcmusic TXn today and WOW…panning all 6 voices of Just Friends, sequenced by @scanner_darkly 's polyphonic earthsea. I’m not really in the business of spamming instagram posts here but I was too blown away by how cool this ended up sounding. JF and TXn are a match made in heaven. (side note so happy that Instagram is now stereo!)

24 Likes

Wow @n-So, that is fantastic! JF sounds amazing!!! Definitely a “headphones required” listen!

Kudos again to @billyhologram for the amazing design and being willing to open source it for everyone to enjoy. I can’t imagine patching without it.

Opinion: Nearness’ panning behavior and patching configuration are a work of art; it works exactly as it looks. This may seem obvious now - but scroll back to the top of the thread and take a gander at the first prototype. The initial placement of the outputs were side-by-side on one end. It took hard work, iteration, and inspiration to bring it to the final version. Major respect to @billyhologram for this. Simple is damn hard.

Right now the TXn are landing all over the world, improving stereo fields everywhere with @billyhologram’s magic!! Can’t wait to hear all the results. :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Yes nearness is really the perfect minimal mixer.
period.
p.

3 Likes

This is beautiful, @n-So!

Very glad that the TXn are out in the world and becoming part of people’s setups now. Huge respect for @bpcmusic for making it possible!

3 Likes

@bpcmusic this might be an annoying question given how busy you’ve been lately, but do you plan to do more TXn’s in the future?

if not, no worries, and maybe I’ll DIY one when the 2hp files are released. thanks!

1 Like

Nah. Not annoying. :slight_smile:

I do. I have parts, panels, and PCBs for more units already on hand. I’m not sure when I plan to get around to it (playing catch-up with so many things) and how I’m going to go about doing it (maybe a few every now and then). Depends on demand … and my stamina. :slight_smile:

Hoping to get the GitHub up soon. I have some business travel this week…so maybe after that.

6 Likes

Any muli-output oscillator will be happier with a TXn.

9 Likes

Getting a QPAS tonight at CTRL. Can’t wait to try it out with the TXN. :drooling_face: All those stereo filter outputs… :drooling_face:

1 Like

I’ve uploaded all of the files I used to build the TXn to GitHub. This includes all of the assistive aids (build guide, stencils and frames, alignment blocks, …) and things like the panel files and BOM.

Having built a bunch, I can credibly say that the TXn is a pretty fussy SMD build with many opportunities to fail. If you are interested in building your own Nearness, I highly recommend you consider the 3HP version. The layout is cleaner and the assembly is much simpler. Not that making a TXn is impossible - just a PITA. :wink:

You can find my files here: https://github.com/bpcmusic/TXn

Long live open source!!!

17 Likes