0 0 1
0 1 0
0 0 0 
1 0 0
1 1 0
1 0 0
1 0 0

?

Is anyone else having trouble leaving the script? I press key1 and the menu flashes on screen briefly, then it’s back to the punchcard interface. It seems I can still navigate the menu… though it only shows where I am in brief flashes just after a knob turn or button press.

I have this as well but I’ve not been able to figure it out yet. Matt, are you running the last full release or the current norns master branch? (I thought it might be some new-ish code being glitchy)

1 Like

I’m on the last full release, I think. Well, I installed on both of my Norns, one of which I am pretty sure is on the last release.

Edit: @okyeron, I was definitely on the last full release. I have just pulled norns, and the problem persists.

I’ve looked everywhere for that issue with the menu, can’t find it. Press K3 to pause the script before quitting, that’s the only solution I got :confused: I had an issue before where I had a global called id and that was overwritting something in menu.lua, I’m surprised that menu is using globals, it makes it really to break things.

@glia Because bits are right aligned, so I think this better translates to down aligned. Otherwise, vertically, a sequence of numbers would look like 87654321.

2 Likes

Pausing the script with key3 works for me.

I’ve been looking through the script/libs, and I am at a loss. At least there is a work around :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same issue here. Hit button 1 and get flashy screen until successfully starting another program.

There’s no solution for that now, just press K3 before leaving the program is paused.

:+1: in twenty characters

I ran into this when debugging less concepts + ~ r e f r a i n. I had issues with calling redraw() functions between the two lua scripts – it really felt like swapping between multiple redraw() functions was overriding the system menu redraw somehow.

Oh, you might be onto something. Could that be because I’m not overwriting the public redraw() function?

goes to test theory, brb

edit: Nope, that doesn’t fix it, but it reveals that even tho nothing in my script is calling the public redraw() function. When I add these lines to punchcard.lua:

function redraw()
  screen.clear()
  screen.move(0,0)
  screen.line(100,100)
  screen.stroke()
  screen.update()
end

and press K1, I see a line draw on the screen, so I’m guessing the menu is writting a redraw(). Bizarre.

2 Likes

sounds like this is a @tehn question (to see how this is interacting with menu)

Okay, I figured it out and pushed a fix. So we should NEVER do screen operations outside of the main public redraw() function. I’ve moved all my class_name:redraw() instances back into a single public redraw, and that fixed the issue.

derne-stitky

7 Likes

Yay! Looking forward to really diving in now :partying_face: Thanks, @neauoire!

Edit: working just right over here!

1 Like

While this is an interesting concept for a monome patch, it’s not meant to be a super useable music tool, the way I see it, it’s a very simple way of handling livecoding in monome user-space. I’ve been writting little IDM break beats since yesterday and it totally feels like work, like okay, “how can I most efficiently utilize these 16 instructions”, not “let’s experiment with music!”

Now get back to work,
and don’t forget to punch your timecard on the way out.

45bd1116e49a45eab504ce6288e9df3f

9 Likes

This is something I’ve also noticed through trial and error while working on scripts. I wonder if it would be possible to throw an error or warning to maiden if it detects you are doing something like this that you shouldn’t be doing…might speed up the scripting process. Maybe also there should be a list of reserved globals that you’re prevented from referencing within scripts.

I say this having no idea how to implement it, but maybe someone who knows more about norns internals will have some thoughts…

1 Like

I just stumbled on a list of globals!
This suddenly explains so many of the issues I had.

4 Likes

haha, welcome to our dirty secret :slight_smile:

working on that.

correct re: screen and redraw(), i outlined the functionality in the battery message issue on github.

4 Likes

I will familiarize myself with the menu code implementing the battery warning :slight_smile: