Puredata! (thread)

Nice one, thanks. Right now all I need is stereo out (no ins). The Pisound looks ideal.

fixing/testing pure data patches for the particular environment usually.
in an ideal world, i develop it on the mac, chuck it on the pi/organelle and it works, in the real world, I sometimes have to resolve issues… usually related to externals rather than PD patching, and in this case i need PD in graphical mode, so i can debug it.
(note: these externals are often mine, and so ‘under development’ too)

how do you do this platform specific testing/dev?

i will say, i do try to minimise this though, e.g. recently Ive started proxying OSC messages on the Organelle, so I can now test the organelle oled display and controller interaction whilst still on the mac :slight_smile:

Just trying to get a handle on a minimal setup right now, and so far have avoided Pd in favor of Supercollider because of these types of questions. So, in other words, “I don’t, yet”.

the -stderr flag may help debugging without X
(at least it’s been sufficient for the few times i needed to get a patch running on an RPi and forgot which non-vanilla object i left in)

sure for some problems. but as i said I’m developing externals too, so sometimes they are just not working ‘as expected’ … anyway , i just don’t see why I would try to avoid running PD in graphics mode for testing/dev… its so easy, flexible, useful.

stepping back a bit, I get why not to run the X server during performance, but why are you trying to avoid whilst not in ‘performance mode’ i.e. test/dev? and if you really want a ‘clean environment’ (understandable) why not have a 2 sd cards, one for performance, one for dev?

SC vs PD, I think that’s more down to what your trying to achieve…
I will say, I don’t write much PD code, I tend to prefer writing externals, and then gluing them together in PD… I guess i could do similar in SC, but I didn’t find its handling on live midi input/output as intuitive… but perhaps need to give it more time :slight_smile:
(is there an equivalent to a PD ‘external’ in SC?)

I’m not aware of any.

Client side control is typically handled in SCLang in live coding or by writing classes.

Server side stuff can be customized by writing unit generators in C++.

Just a little bump for anyone that tried the puredata ‘grid classes’ external after I posted the github link. @sno very kindly helped me out with some testing on mac OS, which uncovered a pretty lazy/boneheaded mistake in my grid discovery code affecting all platforms. That’s now fixed & pushed to master on my github. Also:

• outlets were moulded into a more idiomatic pd style based on my initial jams controlling midi synths
  • some bugfixes
  • updated help scenes

interesting… (not just from organelle point of view) - so does a pd patch launch sc? How’s this handled? Do you have any communication possibilities between the two (I only know of OSC). Can you connect to pd-launched sc from emacs or whatever? Can you present sc-defined pd objects (with idiomatic inlets, outlets, signal/control handling etc) by writing sc code?

I’m really into the idea (mooted, discussed & developed here a few months back) of using pd to handle setup/teardown & internal routing of complex setups potentially encompassing:

• C-language grid apps
  • ‘traditional’ pd patch logic
  • scripting language (e.g lua, picolisp)
  • softsynth/DSP (e.g sc, faust)

though I’ve barely touched sc, it’s ecosystem has piqued my interest lately!

No, I’ve updated the organelle ‘launcher’ to launch supercollider , or Pd depending on file extension.
(and also a shell scripts) , main change was to track pids to ensure I could ‘kill’ relevant sub processes.

on something like organelle/rPI you don’t want extra processes like Pd running unless absolutely neccessay - wastes scares resources - the organelle ‘mother host , is a lightweight c++ app

Yes, communication with hardware is via OSC with the organelle.

Found via @reaktorplayer on Twitter.
http://paresys.pagesperso-orange.fr/ARGOPd/

ARGOPd is made of real-time sound and visual synthesis modules.

Web page seems to indicate that it includes 200 modules, and 300 example patches!

A bit like Automationism but seems slighly more “low level” and based on Pd extended.
looks pretty interesting, nice find @jasonw22

Had a bit of a breakthrough in my Pd’ing during a hotel stay at a conference with lots of drinkin’ and minglin’, I don’t drink and I’m terrible at minglin’, so I spent a solid couple of hours in my room pushing through some mental barriers I’ve had with Pd. Built my first FM synth, built a OP-1 knob controller object, got some cool graphs of the wave forms going, added some filtering…noise! glorious noise!

Screenshots!

First one is the guts of the FM synth, second one is an phasor~ controlling settings on the synth. The leap into graph on parent was big for me, seems super simple now, but…it was revelatory. My arrangement of objects looks like Peter Blasser circuit board designs (hope that isn’t an insult, I know he thinks his out, I’d like to start doing the same…if I’m going to use a graphical language instead of a typed one, I plan on my graphs being based on interesting geometry rather than something that looks organized)

I understand that these are super novice patches, but…feels like a good first step in the right direction!

Based on a comment in Using grid as patching cables?

Anyone ever host a VST / AU plugin inside of pd? That would really open up some ideas for me…I’d love to be able to control Aalto / Kaivo inside of pd…I know it’s possible in Max, but I’m trying to keep my mind focused on pd. Open source!

Using grid as patching cables?

https://puredata.info/community/pdwiki/Vst

You forgot to say, “let me Google that for you.” :slight_smile:

I did find that on my own, just got wary based on the 11 years since the last edit and broken links to binaries.

I found some other folks mentioning random stuff on the pd forum, just trust the recommendations I get here more than in the wilds of the internet. :bowing_man:

I believe I’ve heard positive reports of its use before. I haven’t tried it myself. If it is broken, someone should fix it, because that is indeed the way it is done.

It’s a bum link above…used the pd search and found this, https://puredata.info/Members/thomas/vst

Which has working links. Looks like Google is messed up. /shakes fist.

Thanks sir

Yeah, sorry about my lunchtime googling. Glad you found what you needed.

ah, come’on…no need to apologize. I was just kidding. All is well. :hugs: