Puredata! (thread)

yes…:grinning:
I’m seeing modules in this set for organelle
and midi
wondering if there’s similar modules for monome grid or serialosc

The gridstudies zip that you can find at the link directly above contains a serialosc.pd patch that you can use for connecting to the grid. Highly recommend checking out grid studies.

ha I’m in a different cycle with similar tools

had an sp404 which was my safety blanket for sampling & fx
sold it + am coming to grips with sampling via ableton and using pedals and software dsp stuff (like pd) for fx

I might try Max again but love PureData and Supercollider

watching the video of the class, great one, what more can you ask then to learn Pd from the creator itself? thanks for sharing!

That looks interesting.

Right now I’m working on a multi-channel audio installation that uses three RPi’s. One of them connects to a number of sensors and sends the data to a PD patch using pyliblo (OSC Python library). The patch uses the sensor data to generate a combination of audio, and also send commands to the other two boards that run other channels of sound via wifi.

So far it’s coming together fairly easily, although I know we’ll run into some sort of issue at some point :slight_smile:

I’m pretty curious about
https://www.netpd.org/

Thing is, the regular weekly jams start at 8am GMT on Tuesdays. That translates to 1am PT, which is pretty much out of the question for me on a weekday. If anybody else is curious about this and wants to try to make it work in a more agreeable-to-PT timeframe, please let me know.

Network Music

Though I played with Pd in the past, this year I’m trying to delve deeper and learn more. And Automatonism looks great, just had a short session with it, but seems like a lot of potential there. Reminds me of Michael Hetrick’s fine Euro Reakt in the Reaktor User Library. https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/9093/

I’m working on this outdoor six channel audio installation right now, with each two channel pair being controlled by a Raspberry Pi 3. I’m experimenting with using Automatonism to control the audio portion of the patch, and so far it’s awesome.

Right now I’m reading sensor data via a Python script into PD (OSC), then using that data to control aspects of Automatonism and sound file playback. So far so good!

I’ll post some sounds when I have some.

Are you using any special methods of normalizing the 5v usb channel with sound cards? Or has the RPi grown that much to tackle this?

There’s a Bela+Pd workshop at Superbooth in case you’re going anyway:

https://www.superbooth.com/de/eventdetails/bela-embedded-platform-diy-workshop.html?day=20170421&times=1492765200,1492779600

If anyone is looking to do things on the commercial end with, for example, libpd, I’ve been slowly putting together some basic band-limited oscillators under an MIT license.

I’ve only implemented the sawtooth so far, but it sounds much nicer than the built-in phasor~

me too, but it was 1996. I got to use pure data on SGI instead because we had an extra 02 in the lab they let me use

I spoke with Tom Erbe earlier this week and he said he was intending on open sourcing the pd soundhack plugins and sent me a .c file of the +pitchdelay~ external. is anyone on here ood with compiling externals for Arch linux?

Last night I hooked up pd and Automatonism to my physical modular via an Expert Sleepers ES-8. Worked great! Automatonism doesn’t have a calibration tool like BEAP / Reaktor / Bitwig / Silent Way, but that’s not a show stopper IMO. Nice toolset, feels like a good jumping off point into further pd studies. Also - totally superficially, I like the aesthetic of Automatonism way more than Reaktor. BEAP is somewhere in the middle. Really dislike realism / skeuomorphism in computer interfaces. I like the Tron-like Automatonism vibe.

I just wish I could put bends in Pd wires so they didn’t cross over controls. I realize this is my OCD talking.

this is totally freaking me out as well, but I guess I’m an OCD case as well…

It depends which platform you started with. PD was my first, so I still find it really wrong looking when I see curved or bent lines in Max. :slight_smile:

and anyway… you can tidy things up a lot by using send/return symbols in objects, and subpatches.

Do sends in Pd suffer from the same order of operations (bottom up, right to left, but good luck with making sense of nested patchers) problem that they suffer from in Max?

I like writing code using text!

But Pd has awesome power, can’t deny that.