Puredata! (thread)

I can’t seem to find a download link for that context sequencer, any word on if it’s publicly available yet?

fantastic! seems i checked the wrong liam goodacre on github. gonna check it out.

i’ve been trying to start work on an embeddable sampler module myself (attached to this post). pretty much ganked all of the code minus the sample cutting from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boX0v54SqtU&list=PL12DC9A161D8DC5DC

tapedeck.pd (6.2 KB)

a month or two ago, a large chunk of aleph BEES was made to compile as a pd external for linux… Including all the grid operators. I’ve just sat on it, not quite knowing what to do. But this code does enable an intrepid soul to run meadowphysics, whitewhale & kria within puredata!

The software should very much be considered ‘alpha’. But putting it out there anyway, since it’s just been sitting around gathering rust… Here’s a zipfile with the .pd_linux & a .pd used mainly for debugging, but hopefully showing enough to use BEES’ kria or whitewhale as sequencers in your pd scenes.

1. fire up serialoscd (make sure serialoscd is running & monome plugged in before opening the pd patch)
  2. download zipfile here http://nshgrtha.net/pd_bees.zip
  3. put bees_op.pd_linux in your pd externals directory
  4. open up bees_ops_grid.pd
  5. bang one of the messages marked ‘focus’ for a particular grid op to snatch focus

the source code is in directory modules/pd of my most recent aleph ‘non-release’ http://nshgrtha.net/aleph_sktk1a.tar.gz. ‘non-release’ means I don’t have the energy or time at the moment to document my work on free sofware. Especially if I’m the main/only user! That goes for this pd external too, but feel free to ask any questions & please do report back if it simply doesn’t work on your machine. I only use desktop linux & an aleph, so obviously can’t help compile this external for mac, and guess it probably doesn’t work on organelle?

Not quite sure where to take this project from here… Obviously it needs a lot more work, and was developed mostly in order to develop & debug aleph operators ‘offline’. In my opinion this work suggests kind of a new or different direction in terms of grid/pd interaction, particularly:

• build maintainable ‘apps’ with complex logic in C, rather than having a huge tangled mess of patching
  • focus swapping between apps
  • retaining ability to create featureful monome pd patches without C coding (for those who prefer this way)

How much of the pd extern part is dependant on unix/linux? I’m interested in getting the ops to work on Windows 10 since that’s what I’m mostly using nowadays.

Thanks for sharing,

(I’m not a C guy as I mostly work with JVM, CLR and high level based languages, but I’m interested in the effort involved in making this compile to Windows, if possible at all)

this uses liblo - dunno if that works at all well on windows… Otherwise I guess the rest of it is basically all standard C and API calls to puredata. So don’t forsee any major obstacles once you successfully hook into a library for OSC…

Hey there! Mark from Audulus here. Just piping in to say that I was first attracted to Audulus for its compositional aspects. I mean, just look at any of the clips on the Soundcloud - those are all, for the most part, automatically playing patches that use step sequencers and random chance in interesting ways that get you out of the MIDI piano roll.

You can also watch an entirely self-playing patch here and turn on CCs for commentary.

This patch that was showing off an update was actually wired up before I even heard what it sounded like - I just made simple subtractive synthesizers and set the sequencer to run in a generative way, and this is what it came up with:

If you need any help building any kind of generative sequencer/arranger, let me know! It’s what I love doing most :slight_smile:

You can post about it here or on www.forum.audulus.com, or just email me personally mark@audulus.com

Hi Mark! Glad you’re here. I will say - one positive about Audulus is the community, which Mark manages very well.

My favorite software tool nowadays is CV Toolkit, specifically because it only deals with control. I’m a bit weird in that I get annoyed when there’s features of software or hardware that I don’t use, so I prefer hyper focused tools that I use at near 100%. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

Regardless - Audulus is an impressive tool with a fantastic community.

Aww thank you! I’ve been meaning to come over here for a long time, but finally signed up today!

Have you seen this topic on the Audulus forum? It’s about developing Audulus modules that match up with the ES-8 perfectly so you could, for example, plug in your iPhone, set it aside, and use the ES-8 as if it were that module, without needing to look at the screen.

There’s a couple things like autotuning that other digital CV tools do that Audulus will be able to do in version 4 when we implement the data node, which will be able to record, store, playback, and export data and audio in the form of .wav files.

getting a bit better-ish at programming with puredata. ended up being able to translate a max/msp tutorial patch into something fun!

karplus sequencer

patch is attached to this post :slight_smile:

karplus_sequencer.pd (3.4 KB)

@zzsnzmn: thanks a lot for sharing!
For some reason purr-data (nor vanilla) does seem to have the rand~ object… is that some exotic external thing?

rand~ appears to be part of cyclone.

Ah yeah, I’ve installed cyclone, mrpeach and markex in my puredata install. If you’d like to skip that and want a similar result you can unplug the rand~ and plug the noise~ in.

I’ve got cyclone installed, weird…

edit: no I don’t thought I had it, but must have removed it for some reason…

I’ve added it to my path by default, you might need to add an [import cyclone] somewhere in the patch.

Recent adventures with Pd-vanilla have caused me to repeatedly arrive at this page, so I thought I’d share it in case it’s helpful to someone else:

thanks a lot, very useful!

I’m curious about the pisound as a vehicle for running headless sound patches on a rPi easily. Sample manipulation, granular synthesis, etc. Is the pi a viable platform for this kind of stuff?

Anyone have any experience running pd on pi?

I’ve run Pd successfully on small systems even less powerful than an RPi 3.