qremote

qremote

remotely control your norns with a midi controller.

I have my norns up on my desk on a stand so it’s angled towards me and is easy to see, but difficult to access the buttons and encoders so I made this mod to enable me to be able to control the encoders and buttons using a midi fighter twister or the OMX-27.

Requirements

A midi controller. [Midi Fighter Twister, FaderFox UC4, and OMX-27 Unreleased Alpha FW have been confirmed to work]

Documentation

Clone repo to dust.

Enable the mod in the mod menu, connect a midi controller and restart.

For button CC’s you should send a 127 for button on and 0 for button off. For encoder CC’s you should send a 65 for CW and a 63 for CCW. This is easy to do with the midifighter twister but may be more difficult with other controllers.

The default midi channel is 10

The default cc’s for the encoders are 58, 62, & 63

The default cc’s for the buttons are 85, 87, & 88

You can change these in the parameter menu. Or edit the script to change the defaults.

Install

from maiden type:
;install https://github.com/Quixotic7/qremote

Download

v1.0.0 - initial release

github

midifightertwister template

46 Likes

Nicely done. Can’t wait to hook up a foot controller with this. Thanks for the contribution.

3 Likes

:clap: Thanks! Just installed and mapped my UC4. Been meaning to fix a jumpy encoder on my Fates but this does the trick.

2 Likes

Awesome, happy to hear it works with the UC4!

1 Like

Still waiting for my norns, but this looks really useful. It’s also causing me to wonder whether one or more norns midi ports can accept a connection to a powered USB hub, thereby allowing more than one midi device to connect to that one port.

Or must each device be plugged into its own midi port?

Thanks!

2 Likes

many thanks, this will fix a bad encoder on my (older) Shield! don’t have my soldering gear to do that at the moment because of relocation, this is super handy!

2 Likes

You can use a usb hub with norns to get more than 4 devices connected. I think you can have up to 16.

3 Likes

That’s frikken brilliant!!!

2 Likes

probably should be noted that the OMX-27 mode for this is currently not yet released - Alpha and in testing

If the hub is powered, it should work just fine with any of norns USB ports. Were you sometimes run into problems is when there’s multiple power-hungry devices on the Pi’s USB ports.

4 Likes

Yes, the OMX-27 norns macro mode is still an early alpha experiment, please join the OMX-27 discord if you’re interested in testing it.

1 Like

LOVING the Alpha and as I shared with @Quixotic7 I’m already developing muscle memory with the mod and OMX-27. Highly recommended.

2 Likes