Qu-Bit Nebulae V2

At the very least, there only seems to be an OSC message on a change.

I was thinking of settings things up so that the SuperCollider script sends an OSC message out for a dump of all values, but if the values could instead be send continuously, that might be a better solution.

1 Like

Commenting these two lines out turns the OSC messages into a continuous stream: https://github.com/CarlColglazier/QB_Nebulae_V2/blob/technobear/Code/nebulae/scsender.py#L49-L50

Testing on my system, I did not notice any significant effects on performance.

Just as a heads up, you dont need the full version of kontakt for Cycles, only Auras - Cycles runs in Kontakt Player :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Question for @alext or @TheTechnobear

So I’ve installed alext’s firmware, which is said to incorporate all of TheTechnobear’s firmware changes and add some additional changes on top of it. Now, what would happen if I were to install some of TheTechnobear’s alternate instruments (his “slice looper” is what I have in mind)? Would it essentially be running fine, with alext’s firmware modifications + TheTechnobear’s instrument modifications working in harmony (i.e., some overrided, some left alone, but nothing weird or harmful)? Or, in contrast, is installing that something that would be highly discouraged and may break something?

That should be fine. My firmware changes (i.e. non-instr changes) are 90% UI and incorporate a control scheme for the alternate pitch mode I described above. This alternate mode will be available in other instruments, but won’t have any effect (you can change its value, but that won’t do anything). I think I am understanding your question correctly, provided that “technobear’s instrument modifications” are just new instr files

1 Like

I ported the Mutable Instruments Supercollider UGens for use on the Nebulae v2 alternate firmware.

To see this in action, here’s a patch that runs Rings:

See the README for installation instructions: https://github.com/CarlColglazier/MI_Nebulae_v2

9 Likes

just wanted to say that the May 13 firmware update is amazing. I got my Nebulae yesterday and I can’t stop smiling when I’m using it. I can play with this thing for hours straight with just one buffer. Anything i send into it from my Digitone turns into magic. Unbelievable. Thanks for the effort you guys put into this.

I also have a question: if I add technobears alternate firmware, will it overwrite the original firmware and remove the normal granular looper instrument (1)? I would like to keep the functionality I have with the update I did earlier today but also add functionality for clds and the mi ugens if possible. As far as I understand, I would be able to switch between instruments but I’m just not sure what exactly loading another kind of firmware does to the existing instruments

1 Like

the original granular loop is still there after my firmware.

my firmware does not remove any functionality, merely enhances it :slight_smile:

1 Like

did you ever figure this out?

mine just started doing the same thing. the granular looper (from the most recent update with circular recording) is still working, but sometimes switches from "live"to “file” playback randomly. anyway, i took the sd card that came with it out of the nebulae and plugged it into my laptop to switch samples and possible re-flash the update firmware to potentially fix the “live”/“file” issue and my computer gave me a some type of “multi file” error. i forget what exactly it said. I could access the files from the sd card but the nebulae didn’t recognize it when i put it back in. tried using a different newly formatted (fat32) sd card with the newest update zip and some new sample files, which was also not recognized by the nebulae. then i tried formatting the original sd card and putting the same files back in, and it was not recognized by the nebulae.

I’m having a minor but weird issue with the alternate instruments in Nebulae (not the factory installed ones, but the ones you can download from the Qu-Bit website): pitch tracking is inverted in all of them. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sort of - I try not to change audio files on it very often via the web interface as that can send it into a downward spiral that can usually only be resolved by reflashing the SD card once or twice. I don’t think it responds to most of my USB drives anymore, so i mostly have to use the web interface. It’s a bit unpredictable and haunted and i’ll likely look for an alternative module in the future that seems more reliable, but as it stands nothing can give me the functionality that Neb 2 does so i’ll keep at it.

Reflash the SD with the Balena Etcher program and use this image the Qu-Bit guys gave me.

That will likely but not definitely fix your problems.

2 Likes

thanks man, i appreciate the tip/link

I must be overlooking something but how do I change modes, I’m guessing I’m in Instr mode how can I go back to the granular looper?

Hold down the speed button until the lights turn green. Scroll until you have four green lights. You can select instruments using the white buttons on the bottom. For the factory presets, I believe the granular loop is the first one (all the way on the left).

Yup, it’s that simple. thanks @carl. If I’m not mistaken that’s just not in the manual? Any idea where i can find that info. IMHO the manual is a bit too lean…

Any idea where i can find that info

It’s on page 17 of the manual. Certainly isn’t the most intuitive process.

Yes, now that I know what it does, the section in the manual becomes clear as well. Maybe it’s just me but I would describe it in a bit more detail and I would also add some pictures. I would probably also move the section to the beginning of the manual. Thanks again for helping me out @carl!

How many alternate firmwares are there now?

Hi. I’d be interested in controlling the native Csound instrument (granular looper) of Nebulae with my USB MIDI controller. How do you think that would be achievable ? Is it “just” changing several lines of code in the Csound file and plugging the USB cable in the front port ? Thank you.

just installed your firmware with WiFi support, such a handy thing.

Could you tell if the latest version on GitHub is the same that is on patchstorage?

I want to add @alext version on top of it, but not sure if her fork is current enough

1 Like