Qu-Bit Nebulae V2

I don’t, I’ve been out of music for a little while, especially modular. I’m looking forward to the successor to clouds, I think that will be interesting and closer to something I want. The neb just never felt very “playable” to me, and I wrote an .instr that emulated clouds very closely, but the boot time and size and the perceived inelegance of the neb lead me to sell it.

2 Likes

someone mentioned in another thread that the nebulae is a rasberry pi on the back with the hdmi ports and everything. is this true? can someone post a pic of the back of their module? intrigued.

It is true. Here is an image from Google. Mine looks the same.

HA, interesting. Wonder why they didn’t go with the stick like what’s in norns. also explains the high power consumption

That’s a great example of how imperfect/pragmatic solutions can get things done (with great success when you see how QuBit has evolved since!)

2 Likes

Realizing I’m not doing nearly enough with having Supercollider in a box (or Eurorack module in this case). Here’s a patch for using the JPverb UGen:

technobear firmware required to load up nicely.

2 Likes

Hi Donny ! Same issue is driving me crazy. But I undertand to coding and have no time to start learnig it right now. Would you share your instrument with those modified lines please ? Thanks a lot !

Hey There!
Sorry its been a while since I’ve owned a Nebulae, I don’t have these files anymore.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this patch. I’ve installed and I’m trying to understand it.

Just a few questions if you or other user could confirm…
You describe a relation between Mutable Clouds knobs/buttons and Nebulae knobs/buttons.
Is what Start knob in Nebulae==Position knob in Clouds?

I wonder if this scheme that I’ve prepared includes all modes and combination.

I’ve added what I assume Clouds Modes:

• Granular processor (normal operation)== SPEED Full CCW
  • Pitch shifter/time-stretcher== SPEED Blue-led left
  • Looping delay==SPEED Blue-led right
  • Spectral processo==SPEED fully CW
3 Likes

Switch source. Turn the input volume up and record. Once you’ve got something you’d to save hold file and tap freeze. Leads should blink and file should be saved. Latest firmware is required.

Call me crazy but……
Can I load Norns on that pi???
That would be incredible

I’m not even sure if the nebulae uses a pi 3b. If it doesn’t, then it’s probably a flat no. But even if it does, you would need to run a very custom version of norns to get it even talking to nebulaes DAC/ADC, yet alone accepting button and knob input.
You would also need to do lots of fancy stuff to convert a 3 button 3 encoder extremely screen reliant operating system to something that worked with only two encoders, and a bunch of pots and buttons, with only 4 RGB LEDs for visual feedback.
So if it was a pi3b, you could install norns on the actual pi, but it would sit there doing nothing, trying to communicate with non existent screens and encoders.
Considering I can’t even tell what script I’m opening/running without a screen, nor edit any of that scripts settings, I really can’t imagine a situation where norns on a nebulae would be fun.

You could however port supercollider based norns scripts like grandchild or Mx synths to nebulae, and map their controls to nebulaes interface yourself.

2 Likes

The nebulæ does have an HDMI output on it if one wanted to get really fancy with it.

1 Like

A fun tip for the built in csound granularlooper patch in the Nebulae v2. The phase vocoder’s phase locking is on by default and can be turned off. Phase locking reduces the reverberant quality of phase vocoder sounds by making adjacent channels more phase coherent. (I believe it is the Miller Puckette method implemented in csound’s mincer.) Anyway, for my use I prefer the sound with it turned off. To me it sounds less synthetic. (but more reverby)

Download the a_granulatorloop.instr

Change the kphaselock parameter to 0 and upload to the instr directory.

; Set a few parameters for mincer
; Turning the phase locking off. It is on by default
;kphaselock = 1
kphaselock = 0
8 Likes

Brilliant idea. I really wish you could do more to modulate the phase vocoder side.

1 Like

Recently I’ve bought a Nebulae module. All the knobs are pretty tight. All unless the two central bigger ones, speed and pitch knobs, which I think are too loose. Is this normal?

Those are endless encoders and should spin pretty freely!

2 Likes

Yeah, I know that those are endless encoders but I would like they were more tight. Anyway, if that’s the normal behaviour I will stop worrying about that. Thanks for the info!

Hi,
I’m working on a Pd patch that loads .wav files to process.
On my laptop I use [openpanel], but on Nebulae I need to read the content of /home/alarm/audio without it.

AFAIK to read the content of a folder in Pd 0.48 (the factory install), I know only of externals, like [folder_list] in hcs.
I believe that the factory firmware does not support externals.

Would it be possible for me to update Pd to 0.52, which I believe has a new object [file] that can read a folder’s content?

I saw the solution in the ReconetC!.pd example, but hardcoding the pathnames seems to be very reductive, even though it seems to be the only way with Pd 0.48

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Weird question maybe. Using the default (latest) firmware. Playing a file from the USB stick.
NOW : when blend is 100% CW then I am supposed to hear ONLY the grains, right? Somehow, I also hear the original sound (albeit weaker).