Qu-Bit Nebulae V2

Recording to the buffer is the only thing you can do atm. You’d have to record to DAW then load to the USB if you want it to persist.

I realise that part of the reason people use modular is to escape the screen…but you could quickly record the results into a DAW as and when you need to?

I’m thoroughly enjoying setting up tangly feedback patches between the nebulae, w/ and morphogene - very happy bed fellows.

2 Likes

Okay so they said mid-February for the firmware update, on their Instagram.

So given their track record: End of March.

1 Like

Looks like the update is here! Nice way to kick off the weekend.

I really dig the idea of the new octave increment feature. Seems like it will come in quite handy.

6 Likes

BEST NEWS EVER! 20 chars

2 Likes

Very excited for the firmware update. Being able to save loops directly goes with my workflow much better

1 Like

What’s your overall opinion/review on the second Nebulae? Anyone moved from Morphagene or using them side by side?

Playability, directness, musicality, versatility?

1 Like

use side by side with morphogene, but i use the nebulae much more regularly. I pile loads of sound into it, usually from the computer, and use it as a versatile hands on sampler.

i find it extremely playable. i am fond of phase vocoding, and love the timbral smear you get from altering the pitch and speed.

not quite sure what you mean by ‘directness’?

i think some might argue that it has less of an inherent sonic footprint - musicality? - than the morphogene. perhaps so. however, as i mentioned, i really like the two main granular programs on the nebulae, and their respective sonic characteristics. not so tape-y as the morpohgene, more clinical maybe, but for sound design and loop creation i can where i want to very quickly. i can find and locate a nice snippet, and - on the phase vocoder setting - it’s just a loop. no window, no overlap, but the right timbres for me.

versatility wise? for me, there is more than enough to fiddle with in terms of parameters. you have your standard, primary controls, as dictated by the faceplate, and access to a secondary set of controls with the touch of button. everything (i think, if memory serves…) has a cv jack. it also has an end of loop gate / pulse, which you can use to fire off rallies of envelopes to great effect. plus, it’s basically a computer, so you can load and use other programs, created in pure data. in short, i think it’s pretty versatile, but i am aware that it could be that it just suits my particular needs.

it has to be said, it’s a lotta fun feeding sounds from the nebulae to the morphagene and back again.

3 Likes

Thanks for taking some time to answer.

With directness I mean something that’s maybe included in playability already. Being able to get to where you want in clear paths, something I’ve struggled with on the Morphagene. With my dad-of-a-toddler amount of frequent module time I get on the Morphagene, I have to get the manual out quite often for button combos.

I used to have the Nebulae v1 and loved the alt firmwares do that’s something I’d enjoy again a lot.

The latest firmware with sample saving was something that I absolutely wanted to wait for before jumping back on the nebulae train. Now I think I will, and because of hp and € I guess the Morphagene will go.

Thanks again @Vessel

ah - understood. i would say that it’s much more direct than the morphogene. not so reliant on button combos. there are a few to be sure, but to get up and looping with it is very straightforward. i understand, when time is of the essence you don’t always want to be consulting a cheat sheet!

hope you enjoy it!

1 Like

hi, are you satisfied with the live.rec function of the nebulae2? (I think I already wrote this) but I can’t really sample rhythmic stuff and keep it on time, as it’s easily done with a phonogene.
the fact that the recording function include all the knob turns results in the loss of the synchronisation with the tempo.
(is that clear? sorry, grammar impairment today)

Sorry- just to make sure I’m answering as accurately as possible could you break down the patch / idea in greater detail?

it’s actually very simple:
sequenced drums > nebulae2 audio.input
random gate/trig synced with main clock > nebulae2 REC
various CVs and/or manual tweaking > nebulae2 parameters

in order to hear the tweaks, the blend pot must be either CW or CCW, and when a new trig fires to record a new audio chunk, the ongoing tweaks are recorded and the synch of the recorded material is lost.

but compare the same patch idea when using a phonogene: when a new audio chunk is recorded into the buffer it’s just the external signal without any mangling, and everything sounds synchronised.

maybe I am just expecting from it to behave as the phonogene and to do something is not really made for.

Oh Nebulae where have you been all my life.

I have always been a bit daunted by the alien terminology of granular. However, lately I have been mangling samples on an Octatrack and wishing I could [more easily] decouple the sample mangler from the step sequencer, so I figured it was time to give this or Morphagene a try…

Just spent a happy hour with this rig, by some distance fhe smallest setup I’ve ever done.

9 Likes

I’ve been interested in the Nebulae V2 for a while but it hasn’t been financially viable yet. Does anyone happen to know if there are any apps / alternate modes that allow you to time stretch samples to an incoming clock? This is something I’d love to be able to do on the fly.

I got my Nebulae a week ago… and I’m loving it,
the granular stuff is amazing, really easy to use and sounds so clean…

but… Ive got big plans for it, a sneak peak here:

an overview view tommorow, and then the Eurorack release (including nebulae) this Friday :slight_smile:

subscribe to my youtube channel for more details etc

9 Likes

What actually is Nebulae, hardware-wise? Is it an embedded Linux system or just built around an MCU (or both)? I assume it has some sort of OS if it can run PD and csound.

Raspberry PI3 running arch linux.
its been really well done, boots extremely quickly,
I’m impressed how well its been done.

1 Like

Ah that’s really cool! So presumably alternate firmware development is just as ‘easy’ as programming on desktop Linux?

@TheTechnobear woooooah. Are you saying that (potentially) we can install ORAC 2.0 on a nebulae v2? that may change some of my plans for my euro if thats the case… :open_mouth:

2 Likes