Quitting MW/Reddit/FB/Social Media

I’ve seen posts by other users here and around, about the MW site making them feel gross. I’m wondering if anyone has had any success figuring out a way to delete your account there?

The subs I’m on reddit are a bit too…consumer-y and unmoderated… and MW…well yeah I’m sure I don’t really need to elaborate. I like it here, you guys seemed a bit aloof at first, but the conversations are all stimulating, the ideas and the people are wonderfully creative. I hope I haven’t got off on the wrong foot. Also the discourse format and design doesn’t hurt my soul.

Ethic and marketing, transparency and social media
Patreon(/Soundcloud) - the politics/power of the middleman
Deportes / sports

MW?

I’m too unhip to know the acronym.

@Toaster
Muffwiggler
twentycharacterrrrs

I have enjoyed talking with a lot of the people on Muff’s over the years, but any site saying “no political posts!” is one where I’m not welcome.

I don’t participate there any longer. I can’t be bothered to delete my account. Given the way one of the mods attacked me personally, I have no interest in helping to make their space more efficient.

The no politics is such an arbitrarily enforced rule, you’re allowed to be rude, degrading, offensive, an ill informed spewer of nonsense…but say one thing about the state of the world and that’s a paddlin’.

never had a problem there but then again I only check out Ciat lonbarde, video synth and look around the buy/sell some times

I can’t say I’ve ever had the inclination to post something political there but I can understand people who would want to

It isn’t really the politics, there is just an air about the place, like it is philosophically greasy. I used to be ok with it, I tried to fit in, but eventually all I was posting was the shocked banana emoticon. I don’t wanna harp on the point though, I just don’t feel like that is somewhere I want to spend my time online and want to remove myself from it. I understand why people need it, but I always scoffed at the fundraisers to keep it going.

Re Muffs - You can’t easily delete your account there. Just let it go dormant. I had an unpleasant incident there a little while back and wanted to delete my profile but Muff persuaded me to just let it become dormant as I’d contributed to many threads and if removed threads would lose reference value. There are a lot of good people there, but there are also some I don’t want to interact with again, so I’m incognito these days, and I never make jokes or post anything which could possibly be taken the wrong way…

why not just ignore it? :slight_smile:

Oh Lloyd! I remember that.
I bought your Spock not long before, and you didn’t rip me off!
I can’t remember the specifics, but it wasn’t pretty.
I doubt I’ve added anything of value but shocked bananas.
I do love that emoticon, but not enough to stay or prop it up in any way.

Wiping the slate clean is much more appealing IMO.

Solid, representative thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150309

A lot of the eurorack makers get a ton of leeway to be grotesque.
That dude has put me off buying intellijel stuff several times over.

Do they? I wasn’t around long enough to see it, but I’ve no reason to think they don’t I suppose.

I don’t get the connection to Intellijel though.

I definitely get why Muffwiggler is off-putting, but I just sort of ignore stuff I’m not interested in, let go of things that bum me out, and try to focus on the positives. It can be a useful resource if you manage to maintain that balance.

But again, I definitely understand why someone would have a tough time feeling welcome there.

As for no politics, I think that is reasonable only because in such a diverse world, to moderate the myriad of perspectives in an online forum…shoo I don’t envy that challenge. For the record, I love talking politics, and teach American history to teenagers, but I’m not sure an online forum, on synthesizers at that, is the best place for a healthy exchange. Particularly if someone has to moderate that discussion. People love being ugly online :frowning:

Dr Etch and Sketch is one of, if not their main, electrical engineers.

edit: this is not the case, he is not an employee and his designs, if I understand correctly, are licensed by intellijel.

I have often pondered why I’ve never encountered ugliness here on lines. I have multiple hypotheses, but mostly I think it boils down to the people. I’m glad we seem to understand how to behave ourselves around here. Even to the point of being somewhat capable of discussing politics without fear of exposing our point of view on the topic. It’s really rather remarkable, and I’m very grateful for it.

It was my first window into the world of eurorack and modular, the first place I learnt about buying and selling and the ever corrupting GAS. But the longer I stayed there, the more I realised people were only really there to buy and sell, and spend years antagonising their frenemies (although the DIY scene there is super active) or just sit around revelling in their shitty attitudes. I never felt welcome, or like it was even possible to have a decent conversation there. I never felt enlightened or educated. My problem with the no politics rule is that it doesn’t stop people being ugly, it just stops them in that one arbitrary way.

Now that I think about it, I only go there to check in on new releases in the Euro realm and search for answers to specific questions. Also the B/S/T section gets a lot of use for shuffling gear around.

Never ever poked around in the general threads. Don’t know why, but I just never felt like I would contribute there.

That said, I probably just have a free pass in the realm of “traditional” synth nerds.