Quitting MW/Reddit/FB/Social Media

For me this is the last straw.

While Mr. Zuckerberg has conducted a public apology tour in the last year, Ms. Sandberg has overseen an aggressive lobbying campaign to combat Facebook’s critics, shift public anger toward rival companies and ward off damaging regulation. Facebook employed a Republican opposition-research firm to discredit activist protesters, in part by linking them to the liberal financier George Soros. It also tapped its business relationships, lobbying a Jewish civil rights group to cast some criticism of the company as anti-Semitic.

I had previously disabled Facebook on my phone (I apparently can’t fully uninstall it) and switched the messenger client to a third-party one still using FB’s API. Now that’s gone too and I’m using Signal for messaging.

Guess I’ll look into Mastodon, Discord, etc. which I don’t really know much about, and/or maybe just go back to running my own blog.

I really like the idea of blogging, but I couldn’t get the tone right to feel comfortable posting consistently… maybe I should try again :thinking:

I used to journal for myself, then blogged on my own website. I hand-coded the HTML so I could keep non-breaking spaces between sentences because I was so used to double spacing and HTML kills that by default :laughing:

Then I went over to LiveJournal, and then everybody I knew abandoned it for Facebook so I reluctantly joined them. I stopped doing much serious writing at that point and I miss it. There’s no going back to LiveJournal though, since its Russian owners are anti-LGBTQIA+ among other problems.

Somewhere I may still have a floppy disk (for whatever good that might do) with my original journal on it that I started when I was 18 or so… I don’t know if it would be amusing or mortifying to read it now if I could.

I recommend Jekyll for anyone who want to do a blog simply and independently, but with the possibility of a little under-the-hood tinkering if you like Ruby.

I’m not a fan of Facebook. It’s always made me feel uncomfortable, like it’s some game that I don’t know how to play. So I’ve not browsed it in a year or two. I’ve had a profile for many years though and so there was a lot of me related content there that I’ve recently felt uncomfortable about being on the platform. I would entirely delete my account, but Messenger is something I use a lot on my phone and I still find myself having to look at Facebook to find out if playgroups and things are running. So I wanted to delete everything me related on Facebook without just hiding it. I found this chrome extension that will delete everything about you on Facebook: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/social-book-post-manager/ljfidlkcmdmmibngdfikhffffdmphjae?hl=en-US
I played with the settings a few times and over the course of a few days it deleted literally everything. No photos, no birthday wishes from people, everything is gone! So I’m happy, even if some friends aren’t…

Oh and I’ve now set it so nothing new about me can be created, so I can’t be tagged in anything etc.

Thankyou so much for sharing that. I’ve been trying to wipe my Facebook over the course of the last few months, but it seems like FB make it purposely difficult to do so!

Tried to delete all likes, comments, and posts with the social media manager app. Also, every day I’m going to my ‘memories’ and deleting every post. I don’t think I’ve missed a single day all year. It’s almost my morning ritual. Sort of Eternal Sunshine zones as I delete my memories :slight_smile:

I’ve successfully scaled back my usage. I’ll post maybe once every week or two and I always delete it within a few days as its content doesn’t require permanence. Further, I’ve unfollowed the vast majority of my friends which has streamlined my timeline when I do check.

Feel much better about it - but still use it for music promotion. I think more and more people just look at it as a vehicle for that sort of thing and minimize what might’ve previously been a forum for interaction and personal sharing. I still think about deleting it completely, but yeah, it’s quite useful for networking sadly. Maybe I’ll snap still though, but happy now just scaling back.

Cool, I hope you get the sense I freedom I do from deleting it all! It did take some fiddling with to get it to delete it all and if I had it running at a high speed it seemed to miss a lot. So yeah it did take a while leaving it running over night etc.

Throwing in two cents: been a little over two years since I deleted Facebook. One of the best low-effort but long-term-benefit decisions I’ve ever made.

sadly to use dating apps I’ve had to remake Facebook but I barely use it now

I’ve stayed on FB because it keeps me connected to people I care about and otherwise have little chance to see or talk to. It was at one point super helpful for my work from a promotional standpoint but that started to go south a few years ago with all the algorithm tinkering and the damage to the utility of groups/pages for those who don’t cough up cash.
This feels like a last straw. Several friends on FB are talking about MeWe. The site looks so… well, facebook and corporate, though it seems dedicated to privacy and transparency. There’s also Ello, but it evolved into something very different for a specific audience rather than a public-commons/friend-connect sort of place.
Anyone know much about MeWe?

LJ was really special, I do miss that. I always thought of tumblr as the successor to LJ but I just can’t get up much enthusiasm for it. I look at the tumblr interface and just don’t get it, really. You do wonder where all the LJ people went…

I just can’t blog on my own… Can maybe follow up a conversation but that’s about it… Very hard for me to write something and make it appear self contained, I just get overwhelmed and don’t bother. I follow lots of blogs myself, I really admire those who can pull it off.

one of the reasons lines is so special, I feel that there’s a kind of discourse speaking through me or through all of us, like everything written is really by us as a collective… in a way that’s also more interesting… it’s what happens when you feel you have the freedom to speak

I wonder if there is enough common themes and open spirit here that there was a ‘everyone on lines’ metablog. So many of the discussions here could be expanded to longer form by one or two people. So somewhere between the personal introspection of a blog and the ‘conversational wander’ of lines…

Have any of you guys found a social network that seems to foster community while maintaining a sense of civility? Some I’ve tried:

Mastodon Open Source decentralized “Twitter Clone” (they won’t like me calling it that, probably)
Not bad, but has the same problem twitter has around facilitating long discussions.

Scuttlebutt/Patchwork Decentralized social network that syncs when connected, identity based on cryptographic keys.
Pretty awesome platform I have to say, simply not enough users. Would love to see this take off.

Micro.blog Cool micro blogging website, paid
Really like this site as well, though it’s not really anything new.

I’m looking for a site or community with longer, blog post style posts and discussion.

Any advice? Lines is great for its topics but I would love something similar for all aspects of life.

I decided to delete 12 years of posts from Facebook. It was cathartic. I used https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/social-book-post-manager/ljfidlkcmdmmibngdfikhffffdmphjae to do it. It went pretty fast. Faster than the time it took for Facebook to prepare my “Download Your Information” file, which was nearly 900MB and took 5 days from request to delivery.

As I was deleting my posts, the Chrome extension scrolls them by in your activity feed. So you sort of see your digital life flash before your eyes. A couple of things occurred to me:

1. It’s actually a somewhat useful repository of content
  2. Arranging it all in a loose chronological order with no other organizing principle makes it mostly useless as a reference.

And then after all those posts were gone, my wall only contained posts where others had tagged me, and for some reason, my Instagram photos. And it was a very sweet and peaceful place. I decided to leave it like that. Turns out my wall is a more pleasant place without my (typically political) grousing in it.

There’s also the practical reality that Facebook remains a useful tool for advertising/marketing our agriculatural and artistic endeavors. So, I’ll use the advertising platform for its intended purpose.

But for longer form discussion and to curate a collection of interesting content over a number of years, I finally got around to launching a friends and family instance of Discourse. It’s located here: https://birdsong.world/

Please feel free to join us there! Very quiet so far, but I have high hopes that it will build over time.

I haven’t actually deleted anything from Facebook yet, but have gone from habitually checking and posting multiple times per day to a quick check every few days with no new posts.

And it’s interesting how desperate Facebook is starting to sound. All kinds of notifications and stuff inserted into my timeline. “This was your most commented photo of 2014.” Friends recommendations, which I haven’t seen in ages.

I half expect them to send me email to pester me to post something.

It really is hilarious. As soon as I logged out from Facebook, they started sending me emails with “so-and-so posted an update”, with the kicker being that the emails actually contain just this side of NO content of the update.

I will say on one of my random logins the other day I found out that friends of mine had invited me to their wedding shower in my hometown during the week I’ll be visiting for Christmas! Fortuitous.

Following the lead on the chrome facebook clearing plugin. Being recently out of a 10+ year relationship, it’s kind of anxiety inducing while it’s happening (which is as I write this). It’s silly for me to give Facebook itself some sort of meaning on my life though, and json formatted output of the downloaded archive make the process lot lighter on my mind.