Quitting MW/Reddit/FB/Social Media

I saw people identifying specific examples of toxic behavior. If we don’t point out examples, we’re not arguing based on evidence, so I don’t know what else could have been said. The fact there are still people who aren’t able to see the highly toxic atmosphere of MW just underscores the need for evidence-based posts. But if there are more tactful ways to handle this without making it all seem like a “dis”, please suggest them!

Anyway, I’m sorry that these discussions are merely saddening to you, rather than opportunities to learn and broaden your own perspective.

What’s saddening to me, however, is never being able to share my music through so-called “normal” channels because of deep-seated connections to other communities (via collaborations or otherwise) which lead to the inevitable attacks, and the inevitable silence and lack of support.

What’s saddening is living a life of underground as in railroad, not underground as in cool, with closed communities, secret handshakes, and don’t talk about fight club. To know that what you do really may never see the light, that it will persist only in the realm of the never-was, the absent realm of the future that did not take place.

What’s saddening is well-meaning people wanting to separate the work from the person, as if something like that would ever be possible.

What’s saddening is well-meaning people who should know better, complaining that there are no subcultures today. This attitude not only denies our existence, it mocks the very idea of subculture, as if it were simply being “cool”, a happy situation, rather than a simple matter of survival. It trivializes the real reasons things actually remain underground.

What’s saddening is always having to start from zero when explaining these things, always lacking the kind of tacit understanding that inheres in the very concept of community.

I’m happy you don’t face any of this, and that you’ve found friends and a supportive community. But I do hope you’ll someday find compassion for those who do face these challenges, those who historically have made so much of this music and technology possible. Sure, you weren’t there for them in the 1970’s. You enjoy the fruits but forget who planted the seeds. This pattern is well known and replicates in all instances of gentrification whether physical, intellectual or otherwise. But why not be there for us today? We ain’t “cool”, we’re just like you in fact… we just want to move forward a bit more openly, with fewer challenges and a lot less pain.

34 Likes

I agree. Calling out the behaviour(s) in question needs making no apology whatsoever. Such explanation is beyond generous already.

5 Likes

More evidence of how rotten it is:

6 Likes

Oldie but goodie:

4 Likes

Was looking for this very article the other day, thanks a lot for sharing!

1 Like

A really nice slightly academic article about reductionism in social platforms and technology in general:

Users are not only making their online personas with the reference points of a far reduced set of criteria, they are also creating their identities in this environment. People "make their social and cultural worlds at the same time these worlds make them,” with serious implications as they devote more time in virtual worlds with thin personas.

3 Likes

Recently saw this, weirdly enough on youtube.

1 Like

Quite a few of us, including myself, have years of experience and thousands of posts on MW, going back to the alleged Good Olde Days (I created an account in 2011 after lurking for a year or two, for instance …), so I don’t think it’s quite correct to say that we are making assumptions.

Moreover, some of us are veterans of online communities going back to the 80s (myself, as an adult on BBSs) or even before. We have some perspective.

Lines has a fairly high signal to noise ratio thus far, so at least one large and growing community can foster civil discussions among people who might not agree on everything.

2 Likes

Yup. A good example is the Democracy thread. In 99.5% of boards, that thread would have turned into a dumpster fire after 20 posts or so. The thread leans progressive/liberal, but there’s a couple of moderates/libertarians posting and we aren’t getting being run out of town with Pitchforks. I wish lines’ civil behavior were the norm elsewhere in the internet.

9 Likes

i think we all have a lot to learn and in my opinion lines is THE most amazingly important example of life long learning i have ever seen

quit all sites now and embrace whats right for yourself as an individual

Lines for universe domination

music is my life…

2 Likes

I’ve found it much easier to keep an account on our favorite social media websites but remove as much information as possible so the algorithms present the content in an incredibly boring way. Then it won’t be as fun to use for entertainment.

I did this with facebook and now my notifications are all for ciat-lonbarde synth groups and local music events.

6 Likes

As a “liberal/progressive” I want to engage in thoughtful and friendly exchanges with smart people who hold different views. That’s how I learn things I don’t already know…

I’ve found that there is a lot of listening going on in here, which I would like to attribute to the predominance of experimental leaning musicians in here. Listening comes with the turf…

9 Likes

that’s exactly what Tim Berners-Lee tries to promote with the recent launch of https://contractfortheweb.org/ :

feels very much like the way lines is working to be. Which at the same time is heartwarming and feeling a bit hopeless given the ratio of lines’ posts / every comment thread on every publication on YT/fb/media sites. But let’s say that’s an exaggeration and i feel optimistic today ^^.

6 Likes

now I know why my old bands myspace music player no longer worked when I last dug it up… this is just incredible

5 Likes

thanks for that! i had one track on myspace that i loved and i always hoped to record or get a file of it as the computer i made it on crashed long ago. good to at least know i can keep remembering it fondly.

1 Like

Bummer. There goes my rap group from 2005-2008’s hopes and dreams of getting discovered :frowning:

Oddly enough, the track lengths still display.

2 Likes
  • The “YouTube synth thing” it’s so embarrassing that it’s making me spend less time on that platform.
    Probably a good thing.

There was a moment when synth videos were funny and sincere, now it seem only cheap marketing.

Pro youtubers/influencers seems corporate puppets, and it seems to me that I can feel their own stress and dissatisfaction watching their videos:
Click bait titles, meme images and the constant need of uploading something new.

I don’t know, it’s really sad. -

17 Likes

I have the same feelings. But i discovered a new a rabbit hole-the guitar pedal thing. This will get silly as well, as the fringes are silly already. And like you said
‚i don‘t know‘, when will we completely quit?

1 Like

Preach…and keep preaching… :slight_smile:

It’s been stated already; it is always worth restating: until people are willing to pay for this stuff or things become more publicly owned, it’s tough to imagine things improving with regards to the larger networks.

I’d pay for Instagram as a service, but that’s it. I wish they weren’t Facebook. I wish Vimeo pro was cheaper.

4 Likes