raindrops: simple generative synth/sequencer

This script looks nice! How do I manually install a script like this that’s not in the maiden?

Try

;install https://github.com/ambalek/raindrops/

1 Like

If you download my zip from GitHub, copy the folder to where the other scripts go, then use ;restart in the Matron SuperCollider tab, it will fine the engine I made and it should work fine.

I say “fine”… I mean as well as it works for me. There could be bugs, it’s quite fresh :sweat_smile:

I didn’t even know you could do that, thanks for helping

1 Like

No problem - the Norns will also need a Sleep then restart to make sure that the Snowflake engine is recognised.

And thanks for making the script - time to dive in!

1 Like

So much potential use in this one! Really excited to play with it. Thanks for the inspirational content as always Ambalek

1 Like

Thanks for helping me install it. I’ll give the script a go today.

1 Like

Nice thing! Just a few thoughts: it would be great if there was an opportunity to see which scale is playing at the moment, it would help to adapt faster using the script together with other instruments. Delay sounds nice, but I would like to be able to change the delay time and feedback. I also think it would be great to be able to transpose the whole thing up or down a few octaves.

1 Like

I’ll see if I can think of a way to add a separate screen so you can get some insights into what it’s doing and have more control. I started off wanting it to just be a quick toy experiment, but it would be nice to see what scales it’s using.

btw I’m working on some more straightforward sequencers so they’ll get those kinds of features (one is a very menu-driven chord sequencer, it helps me make quick jams with Novation Peak)

6 Likes

I played with it for about an hour, and I like its minimalism, generative sequences are not too overloaded with notes, it’s great. But the inability to adjust the delay time is a bit upsetting. I got a pleasant combination of notes and interesting polyrhythms, but the repetitions often sound too much the same, no matter how I tried to randomly turn the knobs.

Some useful points, do you mean the shorter delay or the long one, or both? The thing I’m trying to do is make it so you can “play” the encoders and keys and get evolving things happening, without it disrupting the current feeling too much

I noticed that despite attempts to change the settings by turning knobs, the delay time is often equal to 1 second.

That should be the short delay which never changes (for now), there’s also a long delay which is more like a looper, which the first encoder changes, but how well it works is theoretical (I don’t understand softcut very well still, I’m quite new to it)

1 Like

It seems that if you manage how to allow to change the time of a short delay, it will instantly make the script ten times more interesting :grin:
Because this is the only thing that gets a little boring to time, although even so I can spend hours playing with it, it’s very soothing and relaxing.

Also, have a midi out would be great, but it may not be exactly what it sounds like in Norns, since you are using looper if I understood correctly

2 Likes

I added some basic MIDI support and delay config options (so I don’t have to work out how to do it in the minimal UI yet :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:)

4 Likes

Really nice script, I too would like more options/settings as people have suggested above but do appreciate the aesthetic of the self-contained sound toy too :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Nice update! I’m already testing and I really like it so far.

2 Likes

Sounds good! - How do I get this update? Do I have to re-run the installer? Or is there another way?

Oh wait - I could just overwrite raindrops.lua with the updated one… Sorry, having a slow-brain day today…

Copying the code is fine, I’m not sure if ;install would replace it, I’m kind of new to this and my brain is also slow today :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I just copied the code into a new blank plain text file and saved it as raindrops.lua, then copied that into \\NORNS\dust\code\raindrops (I’m using a Windows 10 laptop) and let it overwrite the old version. Then sleep the Shield, start it up again and all is good!

Sounding really, really sweet now!

Thanks for this script, it’s just what I need today! :grinning:

1 Like