Raja's Debut EP: NOTHING IS A SYMBOL OF ANYTHING

Hey All, started in February, was supposed to become a full album, but extenuating circumstances ended that idea and so, rather than delay ongoing, just put it out there as my debut EP:
http://renegadelights.net/album/nothing-is-a-symbol-of-anything
(help me out and share on your netz if you like. pay nothing if you want.)

10 Likes

Nice textures/grooves.

1 Like

Possibly worst EP title of all time & track 3 is down there, in the title dept, too… so why did I listen? Maybe because first thing I heard was what I wanted to make granular FX sound like but couldn’t/didn’t… anyhow, there is some good music here. I bought it.

1 Like

only on the first track
sounds like oakland

very high calibre material

1 Like

HA! good call on how terrible the titles were. a bit of a story behind them: when i wrote the 3rd song, it flowed out of me within 3 days, i was excited, as if in my prime of creativity. but then thought to myself quickly “this won’t change anything about my life, i need to be humble and keep moving on other music and stuff”. sure enough, this year turned out to be the worst year of my life(i won’t go into it, but i’m emerging from the depression/darkness only a little by little these days… and still haven’t quite gotten my… full ‘mojo’ back). and so the title of the EP is similarly aimed towards humbling myself(reminding myself not to look for symbolism in anything; while it’s one of those phrases that could have 2 meanings i guess :p).
kinda weird i know. normally i think of titles like ‘subterfuge surfer’ as titles i like(subversive and mischievous), but since i figured this EP contains music i just needed to get out there before i move on to other music that will be completely different, i named some of it in a self-humbling way(a strange kinda catharsis for me i guess).
(And those FX i think you’re referring to are my own algorithm for ‘timbral interpolation’(morphing two signals together by frequencies common to both, but only as those frequencies rise above a certain amplitude threshold… using STFT(short-term fourier transforms)). something i’ve been chasing for 20 years and finally coded into a Max/MSP gen~/pfft~ patch. I keep the patch very secretive for now, since my next stuff will use that for morphing vocals, guitars and other live-instruments together in real-time.)

I really dig your honesty :sunny:

2 Likes

…And Thanks for listenin everyone! :smiley:

1 Like

Really? I like the title a lot. Unpretentious, good rhythm to it and it’s got the possibility for tons of different readings without being too neutral at first glance. Great sound in this EP, I’ll be listening to this after work.

1 Like

great EP, keep that energy coming.

4 Likes

Raja, glad you haven’t left us. Listening now.

2 Likes

hell yea! this is dope!!!

3 Likes

clean, quality on my beyer dt880s. yeah super granular, which i always find sexy.

give me your patch. Since I am clairvoyant, and you won’t give me your patch, point me in the right direction. I literally packed Roads’ computer music tutorial in my suitcase when I came to south america, so just er… point me in the right direction… twice.

good tunes—album name is shit, but I name my tunes after things I see. I’ve got tunes with names like ‘moldy beercan’. Venetian Snares I am not.

EDIT: the occult has always provided plenty of good naming opportunities. you could call it “Immanentize the eschaton”. I mean, it’s kinda the same thing…?

1 Like

I’m digging this a lot. I think you answered this above, but you’re not using Cut Glove, right? Not sure if we’re all taking about the same sounds.

And, as far as names go – not only do I like the title of the EP, but Raja R∆B!D is pretty badass! Puh-puh-puh-pleeze!

2 Likes

very nice raja. paid what i could, most definitely not what it’s worth pandit R∆B!D raja!

1 Like

In order to do it right, i had to read Gareth Loy’s ‘Musimathics Vol II’ from cover to cover :wink:

^glad you guys are into the new name :smile: p-p-puh-pleeeeeeze eddie!
:rabbit:

no, my own max/msp stuff. [edit: oh wait! i should be more thorough: ‘Subterfuge Surfer’ uses some SuperCollider(over the drums to create sudden filtering through resonators and reverb), and all the songs use RandyJones/MadronaLabs Aalto plugin for the synths, and ‘In The Wind’ also uses his Kaivo plugin as well(for the crunchy guitar sound)]

Thanks again, Errrbuddy!

1 Like

First track is a slayer.

3 Likes

Just ordered both volumes. Thanks!

Love the new tunes, keep it up!

1 Like

yeah, keep it up raja. good stuff. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Only got to listen to this now.
Very nice work! Subterfuge Surfer on repeat.
Free download was the only option.
If I can buy/donate, I will.

1 Like

oops, sorry, i was trying some things out, now i’ve switched it back to pay whatever you like(but downloading for free is still perfectly fine, too… no worries either way).

Thanks!

Bought!
Thanks.
Post must be at least 20 characters!

1 Like