Reaktor blocks

i just spent my first couple hours playing with blocks (no prior reaktor experience) and i have to say it’s pretty dang sweet. i love being able to keep the modular mindset intact while on the laptop - no midi in sight!

have you tried BEAP in max? it’s also pretty fantastic. (i haven’t tried reaktor blocks)

I just picked up Reaktor 6 a few days ago after seeing a few videos on blocks. Like you I have no prior Reaktor experience. I am also thoroughly impressed.It sounds great and the interface is fantastic. I love the vast amount of blocks in the user library. It’s not at all hard to get interesting patches going. With some of my patches I feel like I need a 50" screen. I’m addicted.

Some of my favorite Reaktor Blocks:

Combine those (and others) with the various MIDI Out Blocks to be found in the User Library, or route audio to Expert Sleepers modules for CV Out, and you can integrate with pretty much anything outside of Reaktor.

While BEAP does provide higher level abstractions in Max, I’d say that Reaktor Blocks are higher level yet. Abstractions that leave the realm of “audio” and enter the realm of “musical”. That can be a blessing and possibly a curse. It’s a blessing if you want to quickly wire some blocks together eurorack style. Potentially a curse if you want to create a new kind of block and you don’t like Reaktor’s low level way of working. For myself, I generally find it to be well thought out, with a few frustrating restrictions here and there. Those restrictions are intended to be helpful standardizations most of the time, but sometimes it does feel overconstrained.

Another curious development that was announced during Misukmesse:
http://www.softube.com/index.php?id=news150

Softube is proud to announce Modular: A new cross-platform modular synthesizer plug-in that looks, works and sounds exactly like its analog Eurorack counterparts.

Softube’s award-winning modeling experts have collaborated closely with legendary inventor Dieter Doepfer and the top minds at Intellijel to create circuit emulations of existing hardware modules. The resulting plug-in modules have been authorized and approved by their respective owners, guaranteeing that Softube Modular gets you as close to the analog sound as you can get.

Both effect and instrument, Softube Modular is fun, limitless and easy to use. The basic system includes six Doepfer modules and 20+ utility modules, such as sequencer, mixer, delay and more, and a massive preset library will be included. Additional modules from Doepfer and Intellijel will be available as add-ons at launch (such as LPG, uFold II, Korgasmatron, Rubicon). More emulations from top hardware synthesizer brands will be released in the future.

Softube Modular is available from May 11 for $99. We are showing it at Musikmesse Frankfurt, booth D23 in hall 9.1. Watch a live demonstration or try it for yourself!

@tehn i haven’t. do you need max 7 to play with beap, or can it be done with just the runtime?

@analoguejunkie agreed - easy on the eyes and sounds great. the interface is pretty quick to learn. until now i hadn’t looked at the user library beyond Euro Reakt – holy cow!

@jasonw22 the west coast modules were the initial draw for me.

i don’t have a good way to integrate reaktor with hardware ATM, but i’ll be keeping an eye on the upcoming ES-8.

The user-created blocks are also pretty extraordinary, if not always glitzy to the eye. The Euro Reakt bundle is so vast and diverse that NI gave the guy a presentation at one of their official events (although he largely describes a method of integrating Eurorack hardware that’s about to be obsolete): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL4TNaJm-3M

Blocks is my modular. I’m in love with it, and that’s a first for software modulars. (I’m interested to play with Softube, though. And I don’t really put Max in the category of software modulars - it’s a programming environment with UI tools. I wouldn’t want to program in Reaktor, which is too bad because there are blocks I’d love to build… ah well.) I think everyone should give it a whack, and at a one-time cost of $200, lots of us can. Software is the new punk!

I highly recommend buying it second hand. I got my copy for $120 from a lines user, I’ve seen it go for as low as $100. Quick license transfer, download from NI, register and you’re set. The west coast modules alone are worth it.

@shellfritsch check out the infinite phi collection. Lots of great stuff in there. Really digging the microwave oscillator and C3379 filter. I wish I had a way of interfacing with my hardware too. The ES-8 looks perfect.

can you elaborate on this?

You can play with beap without a license if you don’t mind not saving your patches.

It’s in the video - he walks through an elaborate integration involving a specific MOTU interface and a simple custom block or two. The Expert Sleepers ES8 mentioned above will make all such solutions redundant, and he’s admitted as much in followup posts on the Reaktor forum.

I concur with @analoguejunkie , Infinite Phi is a great set too, and there’s a large pile of great one-off blocks.

ah yes - the use of the MOTU as a lightpipe interface for his ES modules… indeed, the ES8 will simplify things greatly.

Anyone have experience building blocks in Reaktor 6? I just picked up a copy yesterday and have been inspired to make blocks of my own, starting with a fixed filter bank.

I’m thinking that I would need to create 6db (or 12db) bandpass filters run in parallel, with adjustable gain for each frequency range. I would probably look at existing modules (in 5U, 4U, and euro) to get an idea of what frequency ranges to select. I’m thinking I would an input with adjustable gain and panning and a mono output to start.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you!

paging @trickyflemming, whose Euroreakt and NI talk have pushed me over the edge and into wanting to develop in this ecosystem as well!

edit: in the meantime, this could be of help – https://www.kadenze.com/courses/sound-synthesis-using-reaktor/info

Hullo! I’d start with something like this: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/10217/
Tweak it based off of the tuning and resonance that you want. I think he tuned that one based on the Moog Filter Bank. The Serge tunings can be seen on the panel here: http://randomsource.net/img/euro/Serge_ResEQ_module_510.jpg Big fan of the Serge tuning (I think it’s in sevenths if I remember correctly). Much more natural and acoustic. The Moog is great, but sounds very artificial.

You shouldn’t need to create filters from scratch (although you totally can with Reaktor Core).

Literally everything in the User Library is open source, so there are plenty of things to cannibalize when getting started.

Let me know if you have specific questions. Euro Reakt 4.0 is out soon (before December 9th for sure) with huge improvements, so I’m in Reaktor mode at the moment.

As a heads up, I released Euro Reakt 4.0 last night. Lots of updates in this round:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/9093/

AWESOME. so excited for this, your book and the future of your work! thank you for your generosity and development, will be donating post paycheck.

Thank you, downloaded and donated! These all look great, I’m really excited to try them out.

Very much appreciated! Thank you both.

I haven’t had a chance to dig too deeply into your work, but my first impression is very positive. The variety of modules in this pack is impressive and and they sound great so far (and look nice too).

The sequencing section in particular offers many modules (logic, Turing Machine) that make modular interesting to me and aren’t present in the stock blocks. Thank you helping to stave off my GAS.