Recommend me some amazing Graphic Novels

Just to add to the chorus:

Anything/everything by Chris Ware.

Amazing artist.

If Samuel Beckett were making graphic novels, they would be like Chris Ware’s books.

just read Low vol 1: The Delirium Of Hope over the weekend. really enjoyed it, not a millions miles away from aama but much more downbeat (the world’s about to be engulfed by the sun so you can let them all off).

Sean Tan’s the arrival

wordless tale of forced migrations in a vast imagined world -dark, light and moving… amazingly detailed drawings. looks like an aged manuscript of soft ground etchings and time ravaged photographs.

moebius’ the collected airtight garage series is pretty cool too.

demon is absolutely weird and totally excellent. it seems straightforward at first, but takes bold turns and really experiments with storytelling.

dude releases new issues through patreon for a modest $2/month.

http://www.shigabooks.com/index.php?page=002

His artwork is so stylistically diverse and all so memorable. My only familiarity is an article on one of his books, but the images are unforgettable.

[quote=“wintercat, post:23, topic:1857, full:true”]moebius’ the collected airtight garage series is pretty cool too.
[/quote]

Also haven’t read his works even though he’s an esteemed and visible name. There was an article on him recently in the Paris Review. Now with your link, I think it’s the last nudge I need. Art is my entry point. What do you think is some of his most visually beautiful works? I’ll start with one of those.

Humble Bundle now has an Image Comics bundle! Pay whatever you want for a bunch of Image Comics. And the money goes to charity.

I can speak to two that are in it.

Saga. Ever since its debut, Saga seems to be most venerated graphic novel around. Its widespread esteem and spectacular art is what finally pulled me in just recently. Because this is such a page-turner, I feel fortunate that I entered its world late, with so many pages to go through. Now that I’m fully caught up with its 30+ issues, and did so swiftly in just days, I already miss those days, regarding them with fondness—no longer will I get to read Saga for hours at a time. (I think it was just two days ago…)

Everyone is at war with one another, but what rends your heart is the tender narrative focus on the relationship between the two leads, whose love is a forbidden one as they come from different and warring planets—though they are both so attractive you have to suspend belief to not wonder why everywhere around them don’t think them a natural pair—and the child they’re trying to raise in a dangerous world with no coincidental parallels to our own. It is also equal parts exhilarating as the couple’s relationship is interwoven with their adventures in space.

Brian K. Vaughn’s writing invites easy and deep affection for the story, the world, the characters. The dialogue, just like the recurring depiction of sex, is frank and embedded with a playful sense of humor. Fiona Staples’ artwork communicates the dialogue with unique precision, capturing the minutiae in facial expressions and the emotions beneath.

Also notable is how it does something rarely ever done in our art, our popular culture: women, minorities, LGBT are a common part of the world of Saga. But more important than their mere presence, it is how they are portrayed and the roles they play. To paraphrase Ta-Nehisi Coates, I think it was him, invisibility is a problem, but visibility through caricatures is more problematic. In Saga, the underrepresented are not merely backdrops, sidekicks, foils for lazy humor or minor characters for collateral damage.

They are in the foreground. They are in the main ensemble. Most surprisingly—and it is a shame that our milieu renders this such a surprise and rarity—they are the two leads.

Ody-C. I approached this one with much excitement and expectation. I didn’t actually enjoy it, but its premise is interesting and unique, so it may interest others.

It is a retelling of Homer’s Odyssey, set in space, with women replacing most of the roles. The art, like Saga, is sometimes wildly spectacular. It’s the writing I found unspectacular. It’s a inelegant fusion of contemporary parlance and the original verse.

There’s numerous others in the bundle that look worthwhile.

I’m really into biopic type comics myself – Blankets

by Craig Thompson is definitely a classic of the genre and one of the first comics that my partner turned me on to (she’s a huge comics buff) that really got me into the medium. Definitely recommended. Habibi is another of his (newer) works that is also fantastic. The attention to detail is ridiculous.

For weird/crude/surrealist stuff I really like Charles Brown – probably one of his most popular/surreal pieces is Ed the Happy Clown

From Craig Thompson I actually think Habibi is even better (which is a huge thing as Blanket is a must read already!)

I’d probably agree – Habibi could be a pretty intimidating tome though if you aren’t already on board with Craig Thompson :wink:

I’ve heard nothing but great things about Saga, but I’m not quite sure it’s up my alley.

That said, I’ve also heard The Wicked and The Devine was great, but no one ever explained the plot vehicle to me – sounds great! Think I’ll pick up the trade paperback tonight :slight_smile:

Really? Well I wouldn’t know, I’ve read too much of those to imagine how it’d feel to be a newcomer, I’m super-biased you might be right ^^

To fit with the subject and not flood for no reason, I really like this

It’s a french classic, adapted from a novel by Alexis Tolstoï and it’s pretty great, the painting technique is beautiful and the story telling is marvellous even though it kind of lose itself around the end (the novel’s not that great so that might be why), I really think it’s worth reading.

I also like a lot Thomas Ott work, it’s kinda bleak, but it’s also very pure and raw, there’s a lot of power in what he draws.

http://www.lassociation.fr/fr_FR/#!catalogue/auteurs/o/open-auteur/3738

http://www.tott.ch/

73304-23-4153-6-96-8 (yes it’s the graphic novel title) is a personnal favorite but it’s worth checking his other things

Is there any English translation of Ibiscus? I couldn’t find one from a brief search. I looked into the interior artwork; it looks quite good.

i liked “numer” a lot.

in a smiliar way, all (!) marc-antoine matthieu comics are incredible. always extremely abstract and philosophical, always with a weird twist (sometimes even in the way to comic is manufactured; parts of pages missing, inlays etc) – yet never many words. i only know of german and french versions and “der ursprung” is my favorite.

another one i completely love was “stigmata” by mattotti. it’s about a drunkard who awakens with bleeding hands. it’s beautiful, yet very very dark. (and was reissued several years ago)

Any good cyberpunk kicking about? Been reading neuromancer, snow crash, avery cates series, takeshi kovacs series lately. No idea where to look for graphic novels in same genre.

Apparently Humble Bundle is now giving away a free comic every single day. You can access it if you scroll down the page a bit (in the top link of the post I’m replying to). It will continue for 14 days. And all 14 comics will be included for anyone who has already made a purchase.

-appologies the late reply,

-re: moebius… Arzach… would be the one I’d suggest… not least for the it generated when first released… circa…? 60’s ( ? ) nothing quite like it before… pretty influential… there’s so much else too, his journals, sketches and personal projects are the most interesting to me… -any collections along those lines would be worthwhile, quite a bit has been reprinted in paperback… . I think the airtight garage ( garage hermetic ) reissues are a bit like a collected works for the narrative stoy based stuff… the few I have include little side tales and musings… even the really rough scrawls are memorable… moebius can sugest so much with so little. I dig the detour -an autobiographical account of a family vacation with a few embellishments… is also in arzach reprint …

re: Tan, - tales of outer suburbia is great… the arrival of course and then there’s the lost thing, the red tree and the rabbits marketed for kids though worthwhile at any age ) …there’s also this film version of the lost thing which is cool. link

While mentioning -unintentionally- mostly wordless comics / stories I’d be remiss if I didn’t chip in a few cents for jim woodring and FRANK… they’re priceless. so creepish-cool and beguiling ( just looked that word up for some reason and I think it fits: " charming or enchanting, often in a deceptive way: " ) -strangely insightful I’m less sure of… still, I’ll let it be cause in some sense they are, or might be. maybe.

also: I just found this animation -one of my fav’s only it’s alllive… in glorious black and white.

Thank you for all the thoughts.

Looked briefly into Arzach, and that does look like a pretty good entry point into Moebius.

The Tan film was something I just became aware of recently. Didn’t expect it to be so readily available for viewing. I’ll check that out as well.

Well apparently there’s no translation! That’s a shame really :-/ http://viksallpurpose.blogspot.fr/2015/09/comics-that-should-be-translated-ibicus.html

Cheers for the heads up on saga. Really enjoying this.

For cyberpunk stuff I’d definitely recommend Channel Zero by Brian Wood & Becky Cloonan, as well as Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis. Both have collected editions out now fairly affordably.

I prefer Channel Zero of the two, but I think I’m in the minority there. Transmet is definitely considered a classic.