Recording an album with a random text score

Hi, some of you might have seen this elsewhere, but I wrote a piece about finishing music by applying arbitrary constraints - based on Dennis Desantis’ Ableton book (and some John Cage bits)

17 Likes

@TomWhitwell Tom - I really like this - it’s a great idea, and quite inspiring. I think your album is actually pretty neat - and recorded all in an evening! Amazing.

Looking over the python script - I’m learning python myself at the moment - I wonder could the graphic element be rendered as a timeline of triggers - triggers.wav or something that you could play back to the modular via headphone output or something, or maybe a midi file? A set of triggers.wav files feels more lofi than midi, and give you more freedom. Maybe I should fork the script and have a go myself over Christmas :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@TomWhitwell what a fantastic album and concept!

I’ve been thinking about doing something similar when I have some downtime in a couple of weeks. I’m planning to record a tune an evening over a couple of days, but record straight to a cheap cassette 4 track.

One of the things I am looking forward to trying is recording a rhythmical track and then playing it back through an envelope follower/gate to generate a crude sync signal for overdubbing another track on it.

@Oootini great idea, I’ve done something similar in pure data before. I’d imagine it should be pretty straightforward to generate some clicks (literally just a max value followed by zero) and save to a wav file. Or even save the numbers to a text file and open it as a raw soundfile in audacity.

Hello, Oootini!
If you’re looking to learn how to do sound and graphics generation through coding, then I would highly suggest checking out a language like Extempore. I’ve been experimenting with it for a few months, and it’s incredibly powerful! The learning curve can be a bit steep, but if you’re interested in this kind of stuff I wouldn’t let that hold you back :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks Dan! will have a look.