Reel to Reel Tape Decks: Techniques and Tricks

this could be a fun aleph scene i guess…

I’ve read that some people have done pretty long tape loops. Anyone care to share their experiences? Any tips?
I am preparing a series of performances with long loops and it’s all relatively new to me…:neutral_face:

Make sure your machine has a pinch roller that is in good shape. Because your entire loop will be driven by that little guy.
the longest I’ve done was two ~35’ long ones.
It worked great

Suspended by balloons? That’s awesome. Love that record, too Marcus!

Anybody have some recommendations for good reel to reel models/brands for getting into tape looping? Specifically looking for something with the most amount of options that also has a built-in speaker and is semi-portable (i.e. a Nagra III but I don’t have that kind of money right now).

In my experience, Teac and Akai make good solid machines. The main thing really is that any machine needs maintenance and upkeep. There are lot of good cheap machines out there that are non-functioning and only need a belt change to get back in action.
I would avoid buying reel to reel equipment on eBay or the like. Shipping can be very expensive and you really want to be able to try them out in person to make sure they will work for your needs.

Sage advice. In what kind of places have you found them in the past? Is there a tape machine emporium in Portland?