‘Rental Yields’ - Collaborative Manchester based album based on Landlord/Tenant relationship

Hi all.

I just wanted to let you know about a collaboration series to which I’ve been fortunate enough to contribute, called ‘Rental Yields’

Essentially, loads of composers and producers have worked in 3s to rework each other’s tracks. Each person has the opportunity to be a ‘tenant’ - supply the initial musical samples/song/motif; and also a ‘landlord’ - remix/rework/mangle/destroy the tenant’s work to create their own piece of music. It works as a sort of triangle of dependency.

Hopefully the metaphor is clear - as well as being a fun exercise working with others I’ve not met before, it’s helped my perspective on the landlord/tenant relationship. Finally the project is raising money for a homelessness charity in Manchester,UK.

It has particular (although not unique) resonance for Manchester which has seen so much development in the city centre with high rises funded by perhaps somewhat sketchy regimes springing up from our faded industrial heritage land. All of which of course out price many of the folk who would traditionally live and work in these areas.

I’ll link to the introduction to the project which has been spearheaded by the Front and Follow/Gated Canal Community label.

I’d love to chat more about the musical or political aspects of this project, so please shout if you’re interested!

GCC AND FRONT & FOLLOW PRESENT: RENTAL YIELDS — GATED CANAL COMMUNITY -the blurb

OUT NOW: RENTAL YIELDS VOLUME TWO — GATED CANAL COMMUNITY - volume 2

INTRODUCING: RENTAL YIELDS VOLUME ONE — GATED CANAL COMMUNITY - volume 1

(Another volume is just being finalised this week with plans for 2 more after that, such has been the interest!)

7 Likes

20 characters of very nice concept!

2 Likes