Resources or tips for mixing monome-manipulated ambient/sampled sounds?

happy new year!

background:
been having a blast for the last month and a half diving into grid sound. i’m simultaneously learning how to mix and master the music i’m creating using re:mix and a variety of sampled/found sounds, ranging from ambient to glitchy and clicky. i’ve found some amazing support here on workflow, programming and learning how to use my hardware and software to get the results I want – now I’m stuck with mixing it all together.

so many resources online focus on mastering and mixing production techniques for “traditional” electronic music. some of the rules apply, some of the absolutely don’t. I love how Nicolas Jaar pieces it all together, but he’s so damn secretive/hasn’t done many interviews diving deeply into his production techniques.

so, we’ve got a two parter question:

1. anybody willing to share their favorite mixing/mastering plug-ins or hardware? or an overview of what you tweak when working with the unique sounds we can get out of these beautiful apps and grids?

2. anybody have any books/articles/videos that focus on mixing/mastering ambient or “odd” sounds?

I’d imagine many of my roadblocks are due to a beginner’s ear, but stringing together my lovely individual noises tends to get muddy and bland. any dialogue would be immensely appreciated. thanks all!

edit: looking for tips for both live and studio performances.

5 Likes

mixing is about space

seems like there’s already artists you think have good technique…if they havent revealed their methods it might be best to listen carefully and ask yourself: what do i like about their use of space?

then experiment to achieve similar results (even if your gear and plugins are different than theirs you’ll gradually improve and hone in on your own style)

personally i think of sound dynamics from a foreground-background point of view rather than dealing with spacing in a left-right stereo perspective.

my approach to mixing reflects that

6 Likes

I agree with glia, space is definitely the key. Space in terms of frequency range is also very important. When I started creating music, my mixes also sounded muddy. This was in part due to my choice of sounds. Lots of them had similar or overlapping frequency ranges. This can be improved with eq-ing, but even better is to choose your instruments and sounds so that they complement each other, and sit in different frequency ranges.

3 Likes

i just listened to Jaar’s debut album for the first time, it’s really great.

2 Likes
1 Like

that thread helped a lot – the jon ville tips changed everything. first time i’ve been able to really understand the effect of those tools. thx for linking it back!

side note: jaar the other night was fun, but he mostly used the modular as a robust dj filter. the night was focused on playing dance tracks through a tour of nymphs and bookending with some reworkings of the new album. the modular made some squelchy appearances in those moments, but nothing too central or exploratory. little disappointing, but it wasn’t the type of environment that called for jaar-as-scientist. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like