Revisit Something (Disquiet Junto Project 0275)

Disquiet Junto Project 0275: Revisit Something
The Assignment: Make a track all over again.

Step 1: Consider pieces of music you have completed in the recent past.

Step 2: Select one — perhaps you weren’t happy with it, perhaps it felt unfinished, perhaps it took too much time, perhaps you wish you’d spent more time on it.

Step 3: Do it all over again, from scratch — preferably from memory (that is, don’t go back and listen to it).

Step 4: Then compare the two. When uploading the track you completed in Step 3, please where possible include a link to the original track so other people might compare the two as well.

Five More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: If you hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to include the project tag “disquiet0275″ (no spaces) in the name of your track. If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to my locating the tracks and creating a playlist of them.

Step 2: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 3: In this discussion thread at please consider posting your track.

Step 4: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 5: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is 11:59pm wherever you are on Monday, April 10, 2017. This project was posted in the evening, California time, on Thursday, April 6, 2017.

Length: The length is entirely up to the participant.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0275″ in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is preferable that your track is set as downloadable, and that it allows for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this information, and if possible link to the original track:

More on this 275th weekly Disquiet Junto project — “Revisit Something: Make a track all over again.” — at:

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

Subscribe to project announcements here:

Project discussion takes place on

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project is by Martin P. Szymczak:

Okey doke. Project posted.

This is a new version of a track I did for Disquiet about a year ago (Project #0221 Morning Music) and the original remains on of my most played tracks (3,500+ plays).
It was based just on a sample of hitting a wine glass and feeding this sample through various effects to create a dense rhythm and I then played a drone / melody across the back of the track. I loved the original but was never 100% happy with it so I wanted to try and the same track again from scratch using the sample initial sample but doing different effects and seeing where it would lead.

(The original posted track from a year ago and reason for its title can be found in the link to the original in the Soundcloud description above.)

The playlist is now live:

a few years ago i make a small carwash film (a youtube link follows). now at disquiet0275 project i put the audio in ableton live and make noise:) have fun!

Disquiet Junto Project 0275: Revisit Something
The Assignment: Make a track all over again.

This week I’m going way back to disquiet0137 “Old Time Electronica”, (my favourite disquiet project). For DJ137 I made a track called “Cluster Fudge”. In the process of making that track I came up with a load of material and ideas that I intended to use in other projects. I made a start on a number of tracks, finishing two. Shortly after finishing the second track on my laptop, the hard drive died. I lost the finished track but had many of the components on my main system and a fragment of the track as a sketch at the end of another project file. For two years Ive been meaning to recreate it, this weeks project has given me the impetus to try again.

The result is close to the original, the key elements are the same, the mix is about right but feels just a bit different to my memory of it.

For context, Dj137 is here:

and the first track I completed using the same techniques as DJ137 is here:

Hey All,

Wasn’t completely satisfied with this Stones Throw Beat Battle entry(
Reworking the samples. Mixed live with the faders and then live with the crosfader on the APC40.

original track. Tar Heels Baby! Meeks shall inherit the Mirth.

Peace. Hugh

A track that began with descent into underground enclosed limestone cave with flowing stream - lugging along a chaotic synth drone machine; as you do! Amazing afternoon, your mileage may vary… (note, this was balanced as a room mix, not headphone, and is a fine place to sit if you have a little breathing space)
More details posted with track:

Revisit a track, without listening. Last week I had for the first time tried to integrate the computer in making music, I was struggling and managed to get together a short track of 1:10. What I had had in mind was to create a drone sound getting more and more intense without getting louder. This time I managed, and … as often is the case … as I was in the process of working on this piece it went into a different direction than I had imagined. Suddenly there was this idea to record some drums and bass, but I wanted it to sound different in the two parts. Once this was done, I felt like adding a guitar part, and this being finished, I listened and felt something was still missing there. So I recorded a second guitar to both parts - and thats it.
Now I am keen on how the other contributions will sound

Suss Müsik owns a copy of Pearlman’s Guide to Rapid Revision, first published in 1965. The book is currently in its eighth printing. This means that an instructional manual on how to revise is, in and of itself, a revision.

Although Nietzsche considered eternal returns to be the heaviest of burdens, poet Alice Notley had a different take. “Your face comes clearer as time passes,” she wrote, “as if goodbye were forever younger like your face.” When it comes to developing an idea, sometimes putting distance between effort and output helps to clarify things.

Suss Müsik re-examined Junto 0272, a project in homage to the TRAPPIST-1 planetary system. The original piece is constructed around polyrhythms played in various ratios, which we simplified to eight phrases of six notes apiece. Each sequence was played on piano, strings and marimba, then phased according to orbital frequencies we attempted to recall from memory. (Some “cheating” was likely involved along the way. Apologies to TRAPPIST-1 enthusiasts.)

The piece is titled Meiosis, which is a type of cell division in which sperm and egg cells are produced by reducing the number of chromosomes in the parent cell. Without this form of “revision,” human life would not exist. The image is liquid soap in a glass jar.

Suss Müsik deeply appreciates the kind feedback we received from our fellow Junto 0272 participants. It is an honor to take part in this weekly exercise among such wonderfully gifted and talented contributors.

Hello, I thought I might take another try at Disquiet 0263 the remixing of the Hickory album. My hometown is Nashville, TN and there is a famous road named Old Hickory Blvd that meanders around Nashville. Story has it that Andrew Jackson aka “Old Hickory” would grab a bottle of his finest jump in his wagon and drive the route (maybe 50 miles) around the city till he passed out in back and the horses would go the way back to the Hermitage, his homestead, driverless. I don’t know if that is a fact but facts don’t seem to matter much to our current president. I used to drive the road all the time with the radio blasting.

here was the first attempt.

Later, Les

The track above is the original and uses a recording of Phillip Spelman’s “Redjar Redbottle” sculpture. It caught my ear when I visited Bathurst, so I returned with my camera and contact microphone and sampled it.

At home I manipulated the recording using Ableton Live, which handily handles video that can then be exported and manipulated elsewhere.

Remixing landscapes has been one of my musical practises for about five years now and draws on skills I learned from Alan Lamb, who builds large-scale aeolian harps and records them.

When I started sampling playgrounds in 2011 there were comments from people that they wanted to see where the sounds originated, which prompted me to start making videos.

Below is my revised version of the material. It’s a new song and I’ve written about some of the techniques employed on my blog, if you click here.

@disquiet great photo to accompany the project this week.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to comparing your results and learning about your approaches.

submission for junto project 0275 : Revisit Something

When Marc’s email hits my inbox I’m always surprised that the week is already coming to an end - and looking back I’m amazed at Marc’s creativity and drive to keep this project going. Thank you Marc!

On my desktop I have a folder “C:\Users\Matt\Desktop\BOUNCES” it’s where I point abletons output to. Marc’s instruction was to “Consider pieces of music you have completed in the recent past.” - there wasn’t much in the very recent past (new hobbies squeeze out old). So I chose something that was 7 years old but I’ve aways liked it. I opened the old ableton session, noted each track and it’s contents, printed my notes, then sat in the garden (it’s a very nice day), and re-recorded it. It’s a loopy, music for airports inspired, thing. It felt nice to do this.

laptop, guitar, pre-amp, mic, 30 meter extensions cable, wildlife noises
(the last bit is the old version)

That was a smart move tagging the original at the end of the track.

I really love how you use ghost images to trace the various layers of performance.

Looking for a track to revisit, I had a track I couldn’t remember at all. I decided to redo it going by the title. Added the constraints that I would start by performing it live with no click track and no ability to edit or auto-tune the vocal. Listened to the first version after the fact to find out its an instrumental! The original is – Candle-to-the-night

With this piece I had two objectives: I finally did Disquiet 0230 from May 2016, which I missed due to travel, and I did it in “broken sound” fashion. I didn’t really feel I succeeded in doing a “broken sound” piece last week with Disquiet 0274.