RIP, Ursula K. Le Guin (1929-2018)

Seems like this is the place to sadly note the death of the great author Ursula K. Le Guin, whose fiction gave us, among many other things, terms like Earthsea and Ansible.

Very sad to hear it. Glad she went out on a high note, her work was getting a lot of well deserved attention recently.

wow, RIP. glad i got to share some time on terra with her.

Truly sad news.

“Hard times are coming, when we’ll be wanting the voices of writers who can see alternatives to how we live now, can see through our fear-stricken society and its obsessive technologies to other ways of being, and even imagine real grounds for hope. We’ll need writers who can remember freedom – poets, visionaries – realists of a larger reality.”

OH NO! this is truly sad news.
She has been in a book group with my father in law here in Portland for many years.
The world has lost another wonderful soul.

The Earthsea books were so important to me growing up, as was The Left Hand of Darkness once I was a little older. I read The Dispossessed while on a multi-day backpacking trip last year and it added so much to the adventure.

It’s hard to imagine another author who’s impacted my life more than Le Guin.

Thank you for posting about this, I’m glad to find out about it here (I don’t have FB). Ursula was an inspiration, especially in her politics inside and outside the realm of speculative fiction.

always coming home … still coming home

Wow, just woke up to find out about this. I only started reading her work a couple of years ago and she made such an impact on me.

Not a day goes by that I don’t think about “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”. It captures such a deep part of humanity in a way that I have rarely experienced in any medium.

If you haven’t read it, it’s a quick read:

Thank you Ursula for having shared your presence with us <3

(everything you all said)

The Dispossessed: An Ambiguous Utopia
Thank you

The Wizard of Earthsea books, especially the first one, shaped my life, and continue to do so today.

What a gift we’ve all been given to have experienced her talents.

I just started to read A Wizard of Earthsea yesterday. :pensive:

Saddened to hear that.