"rudder" by Matt Lowery

Hi hi hi. Hello. “rudder” is now out, and I’m here to tell you all about it, answer questions, and dive into process.

The album is available on bandcamp, and I’m honestly on the fence about doing streaming beyond that. We’ll see.

This record began with an idea for a process experiment, in which I cut a six foot tape loop and left it hanging in my studio for the better part of a year. Every now and then, I’d commit an interesting bit of music to the loop, abuse it, recapture, and shove it into the vault. Over time the tape wore down, and I amassed a fair number of recordings. These loops are the backbone of rudder, though not every track features one. Instead, they lay the thematic groundwork for a record about memory, repetition, mental/emotional loops, and the way that we kind of go around in circles sometimes.

I found a box of tapes that contained my first recordings ever. I was probably two years old. Those are present on several tracks. There are recordings of New Mexico, Colorado, and Oklahoma that are meaningful to me. Synths of every shape and size. Weird stuff, normal stuff, nice stuff, raw stuff.

I’m proud of the movement toward vulnerability and honesty that this record represents. I was scared go to this place sonically for a long time, but now that I’m here, it feels like home.

@beaunoise mixed this record and made huge contributions to its arrangement. I handed him a shoebox full of tracks that went on too long and he handed me back a record that felt like itself. The man is a miracle worker.

@taylor12k mastered the record and, as always, added so much. Made it feel even more like itself. What a kind and considerate collaborator.

I hope you enjoy.

Launch Codes

lsyd-57qc
cque-7e6w
cbwg-5ut4
sxhz-b5um
s4eu-hfa6
ps7x-vpuy
7vnp-cabq
xfa8-wbsz
jafy-cchg
97a3-xwp3
zwfm-jw3s
npa7-6sdl
w9fv-y4we
cywr-7md3
puja-56ss
rlgb-7ghd
dskw-5uqc
v6cl-ckb5
7yhh-h8lf
v2eh-5rva
fv8s-bdzb
mbzs-wlyx
fa2e-cebq

61 Likes

Fascinating process you describe, I am enjoying what I am hearing!

2 Likes

Congrats on the release! Will be checking it out shortly.

1 Like

This is dope.

I would buy a tape if you put this out on cassette. Just sayin’.

4 Likes

@killingtime @Rectangular_Eye @mrsoundboyking thank you all for listening! It means a lot.

OP updated with some download codes for lines friends.

Really loving this @mattlowery, well done.

There is a lot here to love, but for me personally what feels “just right” is the use of percussion. So much programmed percussion feels so flat, but this stuff is alive. (I know there are some live drums too… but not just those.)

3 Likes

Thanks ! I’ve used this code :

1 Like

I am really into the variety of textures and contexts spread across this LP - despite the breadth, it does feel very cohesive.

2 Likes

thank you kindly
:slight_smile:
i’ll listen tonight

1 Like

Just enough amount of stuff,sound fresh and easy to follow but still complex to keep surprising.

Hope good words will make you feel good sir,as I’m right now feel good listening to it.Thank you

2 Likes

Thanks so much @mattlowery, and congrats. Looking forward to a listen this afternoon!

1 Like

Thank you! Downloading now…

1 Like

I gave a listen last night while re-arranging a rack.
Immersive and impressive. Great work.
I’d also happily pick up a cassette (or two) if it were to be pressed.

vl8fv-ylde

1 Like

Used code d4kw-5ujc, thanks, curious to dig in, that track sounds wild, curious to hear more about the process of how you laid it down/pulled it together.

1 Like

fm2e-c5rq

I used this code, thank you

1 Like

Love the concept, will give it a listen later.

p47x-vany used

1 Like

Stellar release, thank you!

[vneh-52ma]

2 Likes

Checking it out now. Sounds gorgeous! Congratulations on the new release.

2 Likes

I used 7khh-h8xf

Really excited to check this one out!!

2 Likes

used e3ja-56cs, looking forward to listening!

1 Like