sacred cyborg harmony

sacred cyborg harmony

Summon a choir of blessed part-human part-machine voices to sing with you.

This is an autotune, harmonization, and formant-shifting synth/effect.

Collab between @sixolet and @nonverbalpoetry

Here’s @nonverbalpoetry to explain it in a video:

Inspiration includes:

• trans girl vocoder revolution (six)
  • bon iver (fen)
  • the documentary epsode Autotune from This is Pop (fen)
  • not being able to sing well (both of us)
  • having a hard time learning to sing well because of voice dysphoria (both of us)

We threw this together in like a week.

Requirements

Norns, midi input (or grid and gridkeys mod)

Documentation

Maiden console.

;install https://github.com/sixolet/sacred_cyborg_harmony

Restart Norns.

Connect a microphone to the input of Norns, and a MIDI keyboard or other polyphonic controller to USB. In the main menu screen us E1 to navigate to the mixer, and lower the monitor volume to 0, since you’ll be monitoring through the script. Use headphones for cleaner input.

Now run the script. Open the Parameters menu. Set the in range low and in range high parameters to the furthest extents of your vocal range; this helps the pitch detection lock on to the right pitch.

Set the scale and root to your favorite key, and close the parameters menu. Sing into the microphone. A line will radiate from the center of the screen to a circle representing the note you’re singing, and a smaller line will indicate how accurately you’re singing that note. If you sing a tune, note how your voice gets pulled to the nearest in-scale note.

Now sing a note, and as you’re singing play a chord on your keyboard. Play more chords. Play along with your singing. Sing along with your playing. Enjoy.

The keys and encoders are currently unused by this script. There’s only the script parameters and your lovely voice as inputs. Probably other instruments would work I guess.

Download

here’s the gith hub

Roadmap

• This will not be the last script I want to build that uses this engine. It’s fun.
  • I want to add an option for vocoder instead of PSOLA to the engine.

Acknowledgements

The PSOLA code was written by Marcin Pączkowski and is GPL.

173 Likes

unbelievable
stunning
gorgeous
incredible

and most of all
USEFUL

18 Likes

Such an exciting looking script!

5 Likes

Incredible work! I’m gonna have to try and cover Hide and Seek with this

16 Likes

holy shit. this is incredible! thank you so much for sharing! also, @nonverbalpoetry that demo was lovely :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

been wanting exactly this forever, wow. amazing :clap: :clap: :clap:

8 Likes

This looks and sounds amazing! Excited to try it out.

I had the exact same thought, lol.

6 Likes

yessss! been waiting for something like this! bonkers!

4 Likes

some vocoder/harmonizer inspo for ye travelers

14 Likes

Oh, of course it’s Bon Iver! Reminds me of him immediately when you start adding chords. This is so incredible!!

4 Likes

Lovely performance as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

utterly and breathtakingly beautiful. thank you so much for creating this script and performance. i am stunned. :hearts:

EDIT
first recording with this amazing script using @okyeron’s OMX-27 to sequence voices…

it seems the amp of the lead and choir are fixed to the incoming audio signal. i’d be interested to hear how it sounds if there were options to invert the lead’s and choir’s amp value relative to the incoming signal.

10 Likes

completely stunning all around but I especially love the UI <3 genius way to visualize harmony & quantization

7 Likes

Whoa. This is absolutely bonkers. Thank you for sharing your hard work with us.

4 Likes

Really amazing! Every silly hardware thing that I could want eventually just manifests itself on Norns!

Possibly stupid question: does midi input quantize to the scale you have selected? I’m not so good at knowing which notes are appropriate all the time!

4 Likes

Midi input doesn’t quantize. Can add that though, that’s a decent idea.

2 Likes

this is, like, the area of musical discovery i’ve been most wanting to explore. thank you both for creating and sharing such a fun and powerful system, infusing it with your equal measures of both of your sharp artistic perspectives.

24 Likes

Can you explain how inverting the amplitude based on the incoming signal would work?

2 Likes

the lead voice and/or choir would get louder when the incoming audio signal gets softer and vice versa.

2 Likes

Oh interesting. So when you sing quietly it can be mostly lead, and loudly mostly choir?

4 Likes