Sample Rate Converting to Norns

I’m in the process of preparing audio for my Norns and noticed that the supported sample rate is 48khz. I’ve been working in music for nearly a decade now and nearly all of my audio/samples/field recordings are in 44.1khz. Will I need to manually convert any audio files I want to import to Norns to 48khz (or resample within the Norns before using any imported audio)? Has anyone found a more streamlined way to batch convert audio for importing? Apologies if this question has already been answered somewhere else, I was unable to find it.

2 Likes

I use sox SoX - Sound eXchange | Documentation. It can do all sorts of things including batch format conversions.

3 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation!

1 Like

For the most part, norns does not care. There are a few scripts that are very picky and your samples MUST be 48k to work. Buoys for example will let you know that your samples are at the wrong sample rate.

Things like tape (the internal recording and playback feature that runs parallel to your active script) seems to be sample rate agnostic for playback.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen, mlr actually has some odd speed discrepancies when loading samples of different rates. I had 48khz samples become out of sync with 44khz samples.

3 Likes

in general, soundfiles will be loaded without complaint regardless of samplerate, but not resampled. so they will play back at the wrong speed if they are not 48khz.

this definitely applies to softcut and TAPE. it is also the off-the-shelf behavior for reading soundfiles into buffers in supercollider, so all the existing sample-based engines i’m aware of also behave this way.

of course we could add resampling-on-import functionality to crone and/or supercollider. but to cut to the case, it is sort of a pain and there are probably more edge cases and little details than we want to worry about. on balance i think it’s better to prepare samples as 48k on disk.

2 Likes

on a side note it does not play 32 bit files. any adjustments possible?

1 Like

what doesn’t? i use 32b float wavs pretty regularly… all formats supported by libsndfile should work. but it would not be the first time i encountered a libsndfile bug for some particular format/container combo. (like 32b FLAC or something.)

2 Likes

my bad…it is a 4 channels 32 bit wav!

1 Like

Absolute classic tool! I remember using it for something in the 1990s, and still going strong. I <3 command line.

1 Like

That makes total sense. Thank you for your response and explanation!