Samples & recordings - How do you deal with them? Management, organization, etc

XO, Sononym, and Atlas all do some form of machine learning to automatically tag samples.

4 Likes

I’m currently testing https://www.sononym.net/ and it looks great

2 Likes

i agree and missed the same functionality…
reinstated it with TotalFinder

1 Like

i just stumbled upon this great thread… very nice

I hope that this is the right place for place for my question…
How do you organise your samples on your PC/ Laptop
I have quite a few of samples, but somehow I feel my samples could be organised much better!
I use a folder for:

• field recordings. * commercial samples *my own samples

…any advise and idea is appreciated…

I’m looking for an app that would enable me to manage my samples and edit them. Sort of like a Lightroom for short sounds :slight_smile: I’d like to be able to preview, tag, choose, edit, and export samples with different bit rates etc.

Any suggestions? I’m on a Mac. Thanks!

Cheers,
Lukasz

Do you know AUDIOFINDER (https://icedaudio.com/site)? That might be an app which ticks most of the boxes you are after, if not all.

2 Likes

There is also Resonic Player (https://resonic.at/), seems to have much less features than Audiofinder, but it’s free…

1 Like

There was some chatter in the plugins worth buying thread about this the other day. You might check it out.

I use audio finder for that kind of task but the media player built into Reaper is also really really good.

1 Like

This one always looked interesting to me

Been using XO this week and I just wanted to report that the interface is amazing and really well thought out/intuitive. It is very obviously geared towards one-shots/drums but it really makes browsing samples into an engaging and interesting experience. I like in particular the way it helps you consider samples as a set.

2 Likes

I was looking at it too but haven’t fiddled with the demo yet. Can it only use one-shot (I’m assuming small file size) samples or can you put anything in it?

Yeah, I can’t find a specific cut-off point mentioned in the docs but it seems to not recognize samples that are over a certain length. (by trial and error, I think the length is around 20 secs). Definitely a limitation but it makes sense in the context of all the editing/filtering UIs. I wish that there was more explicit info about what kinds of files are recognized/picked up/rejected when you scan a folder.

1 Like

Interesting. They bill as it a sort of AI so I’m guessing they’re trying to get it to recognize certain things similar to drum hits. Fast attack & release, quick decay, nothing too long in sustain. I’d be curious to know how deep that goes though - like does it filter out certain high frequencies (less likely in drum hits) for instance?

I’m mostly curious as it could be a nice grab bag kinda deal for generating odd kits if done right (droppedglassbottle.wav as a “cymbal” for instance). Maybe I’ll pull the trigger and give it a shot (pardon the pun).

And then I come across this on another thread and for $30US I’m like, why not?

1 Like

What are good options for batch converting sample files between different sample rates and bit depths on Mac? I have a Morphagene and Octatrack, which both prefer different sample formats, and I don’t have the patience to do this task in Ableton or Reaper.

I was looking into AudioFinder, which in addition to batch processing, would have the huge bonus of helping me organize the myriad of audio files on my hard drive. Anything else I should consider?

Sox is an easy and free solution from a Terminal.

There’s also Audio Hijack if you prefer using a graphical interface.

By the way, if a Shell script expert or Mac Automator ninja knows how to batch copy/convert hundreds of samples recursively using Sox while keeping the folder structure, I’d to be glad to know how. Thanks.

Here’s a tutorial for Sox:

5 Likes

I highly recommend Amadeus Pro by Hairersoft. It’s a very sleek tool for stereo audio editing and allows very customizable batch processing.

You can create batch templates and then drag and drop folders. With options to save as file types, append name variables, delete original or not, and even add processing such as fade ins or normalization.

Try it out. It was the first program I bought for my first Mac back in 2006! (There have been updates. Haha.)

3 Likes

Instead of a for loop like that article suggests, using find with the -execdir flag to execute the sox command for each file found might be a way of preserving the directory structure.

2 Likes

iZotope RX ‘batch process’ is truly my favorite for this but Audacity with macros is an awesome free option.