San Diego Music Hackers Meetup

Hi all,

I moved to San Diego earlier this year, and in an effort to build community and meet some folks (which is very out of character for me) I’ve decided to start a meetup.

Here is the description I wrote:

This is a group for anyone interested in the intersection between music, programming and electronics. This includes (but is not limited to) the following: Max/MSP, Pure Data, Supercollider, Csound, Raspberry Pi, Arduino and DIY Electronics. Depending on our collective interests, gatherings could involve demos/presentations, study sessions, performances, or simply hanging out and working on projects in the same room. All levels of expertise are welcome!

I left it intentionally broad because I wanted to see who would join and what people were interested in so I could figure out what direction to take the group in. We haven’t had a first meeting yet, and I’m still thinking about where to do it and what the format should be.

If you live in the area and are interested, please join and let me know if you have any good ideas!

3 Likes

Hi, welcome to San Diego!

If you haven’t found it already, you should attend the next Open Oscillator on August 14th at The Whistle Stop in South Park. You’ll meet a wide cross section of the local electronic scene there. Play a live set, too: one of our mottoes is “we can put up with anything for eight minutes.” :smiley:

There is also the Synth Meetup Group organized by Jesse Karras, Haector Benitez’s Resonancia Sound Lab (a Tijuana-based electronic music school that also hosts some events on both sides of the border), Sam Lopez’s Stay Strange noise shows, Haydeé Jimenez’s Borderland Noisefest series, the local edition of Modular On The Spot, and more. UCSD has a strong experimental music program, too, and some of the staff/faculty (Trevor Henthorn, sometimes Tom Erbe, etc.) are involved in various other events in the wider community.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips! I’ll definitely check some of those out. I’ve already had my eye on open oscillator and plan on going next month.

1 Like