Scott Campbell - 'Stillness' - vinyl/cassette out now on Seil Records

I’m thrilled to announce ‘Stillness’, my new album for Seil Records.

‘Stillness’ is night music for daydreamers. Made with synthesizers, tape loops, field recordings, and a touch of my dad’s old Harmony H165 acoustic guitar. Available now on vinyl & cassette. Digital downloads are free (name your price) for the first two weeks.

’Stillness’ on Bandcamp

29 Likes

Honored to release this wonderful album. I love every second of it.

1 Like

20 chars of I absolutely love it!

2 Likes

Nice album, and on my favorite label too. (Now please make me an Ondes Magnetique?)

2 Likes

Spring 2020 is right around the corner! :grin:

oh yeah…perfect way to end the work day listening to this now.

2 Likes

I really love the record, thanks for sharing! It feels very delicate and masterfully done.

The transient-y synth lines have this very 3D depth that feels very unique to me. like they are kind of floating and slowly getting closer and farther away. The tremolo’d (?) sound near the beginning of Blue Hour, is a place in particular I feel this, though it is a common thing all over the record. I’m curious if you did anything specific to achieve this effect either when creating the sound or mixing it?

3 Likes

Thanks so much!
I think the sound you’re referencing on ‘Blue Hour’ is actually a granular synth part. The grains are being fired off on rhythm creating almost an arpeggio feel. The grains are also being fired off at random points in the stereo field. That combined with mid/side EQing (which is all over the record) is most likely what’s creating the effect you’re describing.

3 Likes

o cool that makes sense, thank you for the explanation! I actually have the tools to experiment with that kind of thing around, gonna have to try!

So far as the MS eq goes, do you tend to have it be pretty tight and surgical bands or like used somehow creatively? I’ve used MS eq quite a bit in the past, but its mostly just shelves and slopes at the treble and bass and maybe a very small peak here or there to taste in the mids for balancing purposes

I’m not exactly surgical about it. I’ve been getting good results with the MidSide plugin from Goodhertz

1 Like

cool, will have to check that one out, heard cool things about their compressors before, thanks again for the explanation on your process!

1 Like

My good friend Erik Winkowski made this lovely video animation loop which incorporates the track ‘Centering’. Check out Erik’s Instagram and spend some time with his beautiful work.

This record is gorgeous. Fantastic job! And many thanks to Seil for putting out masterpiece after masterpiece.

2 Likes

Seil is batting 1000. @boboter has good taste :sunglasses:

Oh and FYI for those who haven’t checked it out yet, today’s the last day to download for free (name your price). Jump on it

2 Likes

Thank you, Matt. Giving my best.

1 Like