Seeking Ambient/Drone/Experimental Music Made by Non-Male Identified People

Hi All!

In an effort to declutter a bit and stop accumulating so many records and cassettes, I’ve recently started building up my Bandcamp library. Looking at my collection from the past year or so, many of the ambient/drone/experimental artists I have supported are male-identified. In an attempt to diversify my collection, I would love to hear your recommendations (either your own music or musicians you listen to) for non-male identified musicians and artists that have music available on Bandcamp (or some other digital platform).

Thanks!

15 Likes

just some thoughts off top of my head

2 Likes

I’ve listened to Holly Herndon but not the others. Thanks!

working off of more contemporary names and associates

anne guthrie
olivia block
lea bertucci
sarah hennies
c lavender
NUM/Maryam Sirvan

i haven’t seen pronouns for ulla strauss

olongform editions has good female representation

7 Likes

entirely separate post for Las Sucias

2 Likes

Would be remiss not to link the obvious:

8 Likes

Some (relatively) recent favorites:

Miki Yui
Else Marie Pade
Ellen Arkbro
Kali Malone
Steph Richards
Madalyn Merkey
Vanessa Rossetto
Mary Jane Leach
Red Brut
Félicia Atkinson

8 Likes

Loved this album once upon a time: All My Circles Run by Sarah Davachi

Even thought she took an electric cello sample from Why So Serious from Dark Knight in the first track)))

6 Likes

I am based in Chicago so I’ve seen Olivia Block live a few times. She’s great!

Also, I work with Past Inside the Present so I’m familiar with NUM/Maryam. Love their music.

Will definitely check out the rest on your list! Thanks!

3 Likes

Love Felicia Atkinson! I’m not familiar with the rest of the people on your list though. Thanks!

3 Likes

Elaine Radigue

Tho listening to this on YouTube seems like it would not do it justice.

16 Likes

Just picked up a bunch of ER vinyl reissues. Super good.

2 Likes

I briefly thought of submitting tracks because despite my physical presentation (gigantic white protestant, six foot two, two hundred pounds, scary looking) I deeply resonate with my two-spirit nature and want to support this thread and support my non-male side (which is strong)…

But this isn’t for me, others need the voice more. Carry on, my sisters and brothers and others. I’ll follow this topic eagerly!

6 Likes

I specifically stated non-male identified for that very reason! Feel free to share your music as well. Trans, non-binary, gender non-conforming, intersex artists are welcome.

1 Like

Sendy

Synth Witch

Annie Hall

Chipzel

Tonikom

Christina Vantzou

me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No longer in stock but really love this release.

Love all of Nadia’s work
https://denovali.com/nadiastruiwigh/

2 Likes

Thanks! I have chatted with Julia/Synth Witch online due to us both being involved with the Patch documentary. She’s great. Hoping to play a show with her eventually.

Will definitely be checking out your music and the others on your list!

2 Likes

Familiar with the label but not that release. Thanks!

It occurred to me, you qualified it with “ambient/drone/experimental” and I threw out a whole bunch of artists without paying attention to that… :expressionless:

1 Like

Yeah I was kinda starting to wonder if it wasn’t just a “non male vaguely indie artists” thread now ^^ I wouldn’t even actually consider Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith Ambient or Experimental or Drone but I guess it’s open to interpretation?

Let’s just go with the flow anyhow :

All of Colleen’s Discography

https://colleencolleen.bandcamp.com/

There’s experimental / ambient music, more song oriented music, sung music, instrumental music, sampling oriented music, fully acoustic pieces, fully electronic pieces. Her next album will be a lot of Moog Grandmother, some moogerfooger pedals, her voice and some other light stuff. Can’t wait.

3 Likes