Sequencing melodies without a sequnecer in Eurorack

I recently had to send my Winter Modular Eloquencer to Barcelona for repairs and now it’s stuck in customs and I have no idea when I’ll be getting it back. It looks like I may be without a sequencer for a long time so I’m researching alternate methods. I’m familiar with sending stepped random to a quantizer to produce melodies but I could use some advice on other techniques to change it up (or advanced techniques involving stepped random).

My first idea would be to mult the stepped random signal and send both into a sequential switch, but one can be put through a S&H being triggered at a slower rate to the stepped random signal . Then output from the switch into your quantizer.
You can switch between the S&Held and the original stepped random source, which could give you some more possibilities and perhaps more control.
Am intrigued for other people’s ideas, so will be keeping an eye on this thread!

1 Like

Mixing two LFOs to a quantizer that lets you choose the notes has proven to be a lot of fun for me. Both using a separate trigger or triggering with the quantizer when the note changes work well.

I have used Shades for the CV mixing, it gives a lot of control.

1 Like

Remembered another thing for a sequential switch - run static (or fluctuating, if you like) CV offsets into the inputs, triggering through them creates a sequencer!

1 Like

If your quantizer can process and output a bipolar signal that really helps. My quantizer (ladik Q-010) only outputs a unipolar signal, which I then have to offset.

This topic was also discussed on MW
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153339&highlight=

What I like to do for sequencing is running gates into attenuverters and summing them into the 1v/oct of a voice - lot of fun tunning by hand :wink: - or a quantizer. Getting interesting when gates interfere with each others!

2 Likes

LFO & S/H is the classic sequence with no sequencer

attenuated random into S/H is good for random sequences within a smaller musical range, into a quantiser for random pitched output.

gates into a mixer is also good, and if you can use something like Pamelas Workout to affect probability of gates, makes a nice semi random sequence.

also gates into V/oct & FM input ( with attenuated dial for FM) allows for 2 note seuqencers.

single square wave into sequential switch, can send gates to different inputs with the Pulse width giving different gate lengths… if you dont have a gate module.

I got a lot of inspiration from the DOT.COM videos. and makes it pretty clear…

1 Like

Careful attenuation with LFOs and wavefolders into s/h and quantizers has yielded some nice results for me in the past.