Serge thread

Yeah, unfortunately there’s not a kit. If you’re in the US, ModularAddict has the panel + PCB for $25: http://modularaddict.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=crime
Synthcube has the metal Grayscale panel + PCB for $45: http://synthcube.com/cart/mxmxmx-ornament-and-crime?search=crime&description=true

If you’re ordering from either site and don’t have jacks, you’ll need to order Thonkiconns.

You’ll need a screen. I’ve ordered three of these without issue: http://www.ebay.com/itm/172141505278?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You’ll need a Teensy 3.1 or 3.2. You can get them for $25 from Amazon, Mouser, Sparkfun, Adafruit, etc.

Finally, there’s a Mouser cart for all of the passives. The passives for O+C come to $30-40. The $15 DAC is what jacks up the cart cost (not to mention the higher quality op-amps on the O+C). Temps Utile costs about $20 less to build (No DAC, TL074 instead of the nicer amps, etc.). I built both simultaneously since there was a lot of parts overlap.

Really, if you don’t already have a significant collection of parts, the cost of building one from scratch comes pretty close to the cost of finding one used on Muff’s.

…Should we start a new O+C thread?

Ornament and Crime

@myecholalia @trickyflemming:

Thank you both again for suggesting a close look at Andrew’s/NLC’s modules.

I’m so impressed with the sound and functionality of his work that I went and bought myself a Chrismyass President and ordered a whopping six modules from him; more on the sound producing side than control/sequencing, although I did get the Triple Sloth.

Can’t wait!

Nice! What did you get?

I need to get more into his generators and effects. DelayNoMore is one of my favorite effects in my setup (apparently @glia is a fan as well). I attempted to build a FK1T filter but fudged the build somewhere. Waiting for the time to repair that. I’m going to do a huge PCB order when I get back from the holiday chaos.

Glad you’re into Andrew’s stuff.
I stupidly sold the NLC CellF Voice and Action panels while downsizing my modular system.
Been missing them ever since.

Two Bong0s, one Doof, one BaDumTiss, one FK1T, and one Triple Sloth.

I looked at the DelayNoMore a while back–that was my first intro to his stuff. It sure looks interesting, but on first blush, I wasn’t immediately able to conceptualize it fitting in to my world. The ones I bought just made absolute, instantaneous sense to me.

I’ll live with these a while. I may look at getting a second Doof (he offers two versions), and maybe then a DelayNoMore, or the 1050MixSeq, maybe some of the other more far out stuff; the VCA matrix is pretty awesome, and the vactrol PiLL looks interesting.

We’ll see. I like his aesthetic as well, form factor is nice, and there’s something about his nomenclature that really speaks to me too.

The Nonlinear Circuits Thread

I would look very closely at the RandomSource stuff. They have nailed everything Serge. I also have 4 panels of STS Serge and have built my own RandomSource Euro. Regarding random, I have a sweet spot for the Sports Modulator over the SSG. A Sports Modulator, Wogglebug, Noisering + Maths are pretty hard to beat. However, banana’s are a hands down winner vs 3.5. If you want banana’s i would still go Random*Source. Ciat and NLC would go very well with Serge. I wouldn’t have sold the NLC stuff and can understand your regret :frowning:

I’ve taken a look at the Random Source line before; love what they’re offering.

When time and space permits in the future, I’d actually like to put together one of their Serge systems, in their boat, with the banana plugs; its own standalone system.

another revival 73-75.com

I find this pretty appealing but have plenty of time to talk myself out of the idea

Definitely the right terminology here. Thanks for sharing.

Something think about: The Serge “paperface” line is somewhat a different instrument than the later Serge (ca. 80s) and its iterations (first STS, then R*S, etc…)

Notably, there is a complete lack of fixed 1V/Oct inputs, and there are “one sided” slews. Not that these are negatives: When I was studying electronic music I had access to both a six panel paperface, and a multiple panels of the 80s vintage (it was, after all, the 80s!) They were like two different members of the same instrument family. Same ideas, different, though very overlapping, ranges. The influence on how you used them was surprising.

I’ve been thinking about it a lot and I’m definitely going to get these. That there’s no 1v/o doesn’t bother me at all.

Had a chance last year to play a vintage paperface from 74-75 and it was a beautiful instrument. I even learned some tricks to get harmonic-ish content out of it without a sequencer.

There an STS Blue CV for sale on muffwigger which i would buy in a heartbeat if i didn’t already have one

Would love to hear about this if you have some time.

I have a little usb-powered suitcase with random*source’s SSG, DUSG and VCFQ and you can get beautiful self-playing patches out of that little system with no regular oscillators and no external modules. I will do a video If I get the chance. I really love it. (next on the list are the wave multipliers and the ncom)

Kaffeeklatsch

thanks @mzero

been searching for paperface demos to determine if i’d really want the basic system and finding clips like this is a good sign

seems easier to understand than the later popular modules (WAD, NTO, VCM, ResEQ) + using bananas allows for complex patching even w/o them

You just reminded that I had uploaded a small instagram video of the R*S SSG and DUSG crosspatched doing a strange sort of melody (no other modules involved) //// pictures ////

If I remember correctly…

Send one oscillator into the positive slew and send that output to the sample and hold to control the other oscillator. In theory, if you tune the slew correctly you should be able to sample something like the harmonic series (or maybe that’s subharmonic series - * scratches head *). In practice, you end up sampling interesting sidebands most of the time, but it still sounds cool.

That’s really cool.

Is that the same suitcase voice you mentioned two posts earlier?

Basically yes, but after that video I added a VCFQ (that I love). The thought that I can play a synthesizer without using proper oscillators and sequencers is liberating.

Here it is.