SerialOSC not updating on monome connect/disconnect

has anyone e-mailed FTDI? i’m writing their tech support now to see if 10.12 is officially supported.

i’m on 10.12. i initially had some very similar issues (though only on apple’s driver, never ftdi’s).

it turns out that macOS was secretly trying to use the grid as a usb networking device, and sometimes showed up as a thunderbolt–interface networking dongle. i had to open up the network preferences panel, add a formal device entry for the grid, and then tell macOS to not use that device, and further disable the entry i’d made.

at the time, i put it down to the serialosc interface conflicting with the host’s attempt to categorize the grid differently than intended. had to resort to the same workarounds when plugging in the arc for the first time. otherwise it was being hogged when hotplugged; was fine when connected at boot.

1 Like

so, it works as expected after this workaround?

yes, no further issues with arc or grid after performing the workaround for each.

the OS had been grabbing the device, conflicting with serialosc, attempting to use it as a networking interface. would often pop up windows asking to add it as such. but until i added an actual preferences entry, with instructions to ignore/disable that “network” device, i kept getting popup prompts that interfered with using it with serialosc apps. macOS needed to be told what to do with it, rather than leave it hanging.

2 Likes

from FTDI support:

The version 2.3 FTDI VCP driver should work well with OS 10.12

Keep in mind you also have the option of using Apple’s own version of the FTDI VCP driver – AppleUSBFTDI

i halted my install of 10.12 earlier today because i couldn’t risk disabling my only mac (during production particularly) but i’ll get it installed tonight and confirm this fix.

1 Like

@ioflow is this what you mean in terms of disabling (see screenshot)?
just tried this but seeing no difference, still on the apple driver for now.

that looks right, but i also went through dropdown menu (at bottom left) and right-click options on both monome devices to rearrange the service order. i have both the “monome” and “monome-” at the top, followed by the “real” networking services. i rebooted a couple of times to make it stick.

also, i don’t even have a “test” configuration listed; i keep it at the defaults in an attempt to make sure macOS doesn’t actually try to do anything with the device. the whole arrangement is pretty hand-wavy. the OS goes out of its way to hide things; what it’s doing and why it’s doing it. makes it very hard to troubleshoot and reconfigure.

2 Likes

hmm thanks for the info :slight_smile: seems like my problems run deeper though :confused:

@ioflow what mac model are you using?

i’m on a 2015 macbook air 13"

i just upgraded to 10.12.1 and everything works fine, using the normal AppleFTDI driver.

furthermore, i couldn’t get any useful debugging information from the console app while hotplugging-- in previous os versions it gave some good information about enumeration. have you tried gathering any enumeration data?

@tehn: late 2012 mac mini. the normal appleFTDI driver is what i used, too. before upgrading from 10.8, i made a point of uninstalling the upstream FTDI driver, so that SIP wouldn’t be an issue.

as the Console app seems nerfed, there are two ways i get device data. the long way is clicking through About This Mac -> System Report. the short way is to open a terminal and run ioreg -p IOUSB -w0. append an -l flag if you want to see absolutely everything.

on linux, i used to use dmesg and lsusb to instantly check pre/post hotplug detection. but dmesg has to be done as root on macOS, and it’s full of output from macOS’s broken components that are sending garbage requests over net ports. so, ignore it. ioreg is the equivalent of lsusb. here, for example, i have my grid plugged into a keyboard’s USB hub:

$ ioreg -p IOUSB -w0
<<snipped trees>>
| +-o IOUSBHostDevice@1a100000  <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x10000030f, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (2 ms), retain 15>
|   +-o Keyboard Hub@1a120000  <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x100000360, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1 ms), retain 16>
|     +-o Apple Keyboard@1a122000  <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x1000003bc, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1 ms), retain 16>
|     +-o monome@1a121000  <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x100000658, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (13 ms), retain 14>

adding the -l flag gives a lot more output; at least as much as in System Report -> USB.

2 Likes

I’ve been digging around a bit more and just wanted to check I had kexts where they should be…

I have:
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBFTDI.kext (apple default?)
/Library/Extensions/FTDIKext.kext (not sure what this is)

I don’t have:
/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext (VCP driver)

yes this is the default

i don’t have this one. after some quick googling, i’d suggest disabling it (rename it to .disabled instead of .kext)

Did the rename action solve the problem @markeats ?

you know what, i just tried it and it does seem to have fixed my problems! :blush:

so i’m not sure what i installed that put that kext there, but hopefully its not needed! just had a quick test run with the grids and all seems to be well, will do some more testing tomorrow to double check.

thanks for your help everyone!

1 Like

Today, I had some to to invest my situation
15 ´´Macbook Pro late 2016 , mac os 10.12.1 Monome arc ordered in July

The monome arc is being detected
tty.usbserial-m1100011 and cu.usbserial-m1100011
(After unplugging the device disappears)

The system profiler shows monome under usb devices. (when connected)
The monome arc lights up on start up, but there is no way I can make max7 show up the device with serial-osc. Every time I use the object or the provided patches (arc-howto.maxpat or arc-test, returns etc) nothing shows up.

Any clues…?

sounds like your FTDI driver is working and sorted.

do you see serialosc in your activity monitor?

1 Like

The activity monitor shows these entries:
serialosc-detector 0,0 0,01 3 and
serialoscd 0,0 0,01 1

I hope this is any help for you. Yes, I think the FTDI driver seems to be working.

ok-- i believe you fall into yet another category-- you’re experiencing a FTDI hardware issue. e-mail info@monome.org and i’ll arrange to get your arc fixed right away-- many apologies.

1 Like

is it normal to have both :

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 31, 11 14 Dec 11:58 cu.usbserial-m0000705
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 31, 10 14 Dec 11:58 tty.usbserial-m0000705

?

yes, your FTDI is installed correctly.