SerialOSC not updating on monome connect/disconnect

@ioflow is this what you mean in terms of disabling (see screenshot)?
just tried this but seeing no difference, still on the apple driver for now.

that looks right, but i also went through dropdown menu (at bottom left) and right-click options on both monome devices to rearrange the service order. i have both the “monome” and “monome-” at the top, followed by the “real” networking services. i rebooted a couple of times to make it stick.

also, i don’t even have a “test” configuration listed; i keep it at the defaults in an attempt to make sure macOS doesn’t actually try to do anything with the device. the whole arrangement is pretty hand-wavy. the OS goes out of its way to hide things; what it’s doing and why it’s doing it. makes it very hard to troubleshoot and reconfigure.

2 Likes

hmm thanks for the info :slight_smile: seems like my problems run deeper though :confused:

@ioflow what mac model are you using?

i’m on a 2015 macbook air 13"

i just upgraded to 10.12.1 and everything works fine, using the normal AppleFTDI driver.

furthermore, i couldn’t get any useful debugging information from the console app while hotplugging-- in previous os versions it gave some good information about enumeration. have you tried gathering any enumeration data?

@tehn: late 2012 mac mini. the normal appleFTDI driver is what i used, too. before upgrading from 10.8, i made a point of uninstalling the upstream FTDI driver, so that SIP wouldn’t be an issue.

as the Console app seems nerfed, there are two ways i get device data. the long way is clicking through About This Mac -> System Report. the short way is to open a terminal and run ioreg -p IOUSB -w0. append an -l flag if you want to see absolutely everything.

on linux, i used to use dmesg and lsusb to instantly check pre/post hotplug detection. but dmesg has to be done as root on macOS, and it’s full of output from macOS’s broken components that are sending garbage requests over net ports. so, ignore it. ioreg is the equivalent of lsusb. here, for example, i have my grid plugged into a keyboard’s USB hub:

$ ioreg -p IOUSB -w0
<<snipped trees>>
| +-o IOUSBHostDevice@1a100000  <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x10000030f, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (2 ms), retain 15>
|   +-o Keyboard Hub@1a120000  <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x100000360, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1 ms), retain 16>
|     +-o Apple Keyboard@1a122000  <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x1000003bc, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1 ms), retain 16>
|     +-o monome@1a121000  <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x100000658, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (13 ms), retain 14>

adding the -l flag gives a lot more output; at least as much as in System Report -> USB.

2 Likes

I’ve been digging around a bit more and just wanted to check I had kexts where they should be…

I have:
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBFTDI.kext (apple default?)
/Library/Extensions/FTDIKext.kext (not sure what this is)

I don’t have:
/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext (VCP driver)

yes this is the default

i don’t have this one. after some quick googling, i’d suggest disabling it (rename it to .disabled instead of .kext)

Did the rename action solve the problem @markeats ?

you know what, i just tried it and it does seem to have fixed my problems! :blush:

so i’m not sure what i installed that put that kext there, but hopefully its not needed! just had a quick test run with the grids and all seems to be well, will do some more testing tomorrow to double check.

thanks for your help everyone!

1 Like

Today, I had some to to invest my situation
15 ´´Macbook Pro late 2016 , mac os 10.12.1 Monome arc ordered in July

The monome arc is being detected
tty.usbserial-m1100011 and cu.usbserial-m1100011
(After unplugging the device disappears)

The system profiler shows monome under usb devices. (when connected)
The monome arc lights up on start up, but there is no way I can make max7 show up the device with serial-osc. Every time I use the object or the provided patches (arc-howto.maxpat or arc-test, returns etc) nothing shows up.

Any clues…?

sounds like your FTDI driver is working and sorted.

do you see serialosc in your activity monitor?

1 Like

The activity monitor shows these entries:
serialosc-detector 0,0 0,01 3 and
serialoscd 0,0 0,01 1

I hope this is any help for you. Yes, I think the FTDI driver seems to be working.

ok-- i believe you fall into yet another category-- you’re experiencing a FTDI hardware issue. e-mail info@monome.org and i’ll arrange to get your arc fixed right away-- many apologies.

1 Like

is it normal to have both :

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 31, 11 14 Dec 11:58 cu.usbserial-m0000705
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 31, 10 14 Dec 11:58 tty.usbserial-m0000705

?

yes, your FTDI is installed correctly.

I’m experiencing this issue as well, or some variety of it. If I reboot, I get

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel      19,   1 Feb  7 10:55 cu.usbserial-m128-578
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel      19,   0 Feb  7 10:56 tty.usbserial-m128-578

but then if I unplug and replug, nothing. I’ve tried configuring the monome as a disabled (modem)?
and have installed the FTDI driver. Should I remove or disable the Apple driver as well?

Monome 128gs, Macbook Pro 8,3, macOS Sierra 10.12.1

I think you actually want to remove the VCP FTDI and keep the default apple driver

you need to delete the FTDI driver. in 10.12.1 the apple one works correctly, and the FTDI one interferes.

Thank you both. I seemed to be having issues before I even installed the FTDI driver, but maybe some magic combination of the networking sorted it out. Seems to be working now, cheers.

@tehn I have this exact issue where I have to restart to use monome and I see the monomes listed in the network options, but I’m on OSX 10.11.6 (Mac Pro Late 2013). The Monome (Grayscale 64) works fine, but if I unplug it and plug it back in I have to restart.

I see serialosc-detector and serialoscd in my activity monitor. If I restart and have the monome plugged in, that will show up addionally as monome-devic. If I unplug it “monome-devic” stays on the list but seemed to dissappear right when I plugged in the monome again.

I also see monomes in the network like in the screenshot someone posted. Making this inactive and putting them at the top of that set list didnt seem to fix it for me. I also do not have any .kext files that start with FTDI but I do have the AppleFTDI one that you said should be there.

The monome shows up in the System Information for the USB devices when it is plugged in, even when Activity Monitor doesn’t show the monome-devic and monome home does not detect it.

Using the Terminal command I do not get anything like “tty.usbserial-m0000000” (at least when the monome is not detected by monome home / been replugged in. I have not tried this command while it is functioning)