Shbobo Shnth patches and appreciation

yes – opened a shlisp patch and served with cmd+U here
with jish/mac (after dl jdk)

shbobo is now open source! :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Forgive my ignorance, but does this mean that it would be possible to load the source code to run Shlisp programs onto other microprocessors? Would it possible with an Arduino?

2 Likes

I’ve looked at the source code for the Shnth (as I had the same idea as you!) and it consists of two parts.

1. Stuff that runs on your computer (fish, jish, shlisp, justints, etc.)
  2. Stuff that runs on the Shnth / Shtar. This is in shbobo/sorce/shmat.

2 is all written in ARM assembly language, so wouldn’t be directly compatible with an Arduino. It consists of two parts itself:

1. Interface and timing code for the ARM microcontroller.
  2. Opcodes that produce the sounds. These are called wanillaxxNAME, where xx is a two digit number and NAME is the name of the opcode, for example wanilla80fourses.s

It’d be totally possible to compile and run it on another ARM Cortex 32bit microcontroller (like the very cheap STM32 “blue pill”) but knowing how to connect the piezos to the microcontroller (e.g. which pin to connect to) is unknown and could take some investigation.
As far as I know, Peter has never published a schematic for the Shnth.

4 Likes

I expect that there is a lot of circuitry associated with the bars and corps as well…but if the buttons were simple pin inputs it would be very cool to have some extra “shinthy” friends playing drone like patches.

i’m this close to pulling the trigger on a shnth
please talk me out of it :grinning:

also for those above trying to figure out cv i/o

one of my first uses would be pairing this Norns + shnth: library
with norns and crow to translate data

5 Likes

Not likely!
What’s your concern? (If it’s money, that’s different.)

i’m impulsive and wish i could have a new one asap
might try to find a used instrument, we’ll see

other concern is same as always
i don’t need it and should be spending time on what i already own

A used one just popped up on reverb today…plus Peter is moving to Germany for a while and has shut down his US sales, so you’d have to order from Patch Point in Germany if you want one.

2 Likes

well i guess the dream is temporarily dead

thanks for the info

i was the reverb seller. it’s sold now :grinning:

3 Likes

not meaning to derail the thread but i’m open to buy/trade if anybody wants to sell in the future

i regret selling mine yrs ago

1 Like

Can you elaborate on this more? I’ve been having a lot of trouble getting this running on my 10.13 MacBook… I updated my java, but I still get
sudo java -jar jish.jar Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Julia has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 57.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0
Does anyone else have advice on this?
:slight_smile:

I ran into the same error on Windows 10.
Apparently you also need to install Java JDK. I was a little burnt at that point and bailed out…so I can’t help with the install but that’s what I gathered doing my own research on the error language.

1 Like

i’m having trouble getting fish and shlisp to play nicely with my m1 macbook pro. fish will run but won’t serve, and shlisp at the command line just throws a “bad CPU type” error.

maybe apple’s vaunted rosetta can’t handle the blasser tech? anyone else run into this? (“m1” too short for a search term so sorry for potential repeats)

Might be some sand-boxing? Maybe you can launch Fish via terminal in sudo mode?

after watching some talks on designing reverbs by tom erbe and sean costello i decided to try it on the shnth :stuck_out_tongue: specifically in @ebremot 's he mentions early digital reverbs using comb filters in parallel, and i thought to myself “the shnth has 4 comb filters!” lol — the ratios used are from his talk sort of, although I don’t really know exactly how the numbers inside shnth line up with milliseconds… i suppose there’s some sort of sample rate math that could be done but I have no idea :sweat_smile:

there are some significant limits, (for example, can’t put anything inside the comb filters feedback loop, only 4 comb so can’t do combinations of series and parallel) but this is what i have so far… every little tweak changes a lot of things. I started with all 4 side by side, but there stereo effect is pretty fun. the wind input is very noisy (i want to try using internal synthesis next, but haven’t gotten to it yet) i might be better off putting the input itself under a lowpass filter… or doing both the input and the comb filter output through different LPFs… i’m also randomly modulating the comb filters rate and the LPFs. i also tried routing right and left into each other for some cross feedback but haven’t found a stable or reliable way to do it yet… it’s great when its working but it seems to crash the shnth when you go too far…

if any body has tips for how to improve or expand this I’m all ears. and give it a try, it’s fun even if it sounds nothing like reverb lol. it does almost sound like my HD-1000 “hard reverb” mode which coincidentally also hardly sounds like a reverb.

Here’s a sound demo with 3 random samples from microgranny dry then wet (i think you’ll be able to tell :joy: )

18 Likes

Sounds like a great idea!
Can’t wait to try a play around with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

one thing i didn’t mention — i highly recommend routing a dry signal separately. for testing and stuff i simply added (wind) to left and right to monitor, but the input is very noisy, so then i put a LPF over it but at this point it gets further and further from a dry signal :stuck_out_tongue: hence the 100% wet shown above !

Great! Will u share the patch?