Short songs

3 Likes

It’s :38, but I think that’s OK:

2 Likes

Probably everyone has a song like this. Although it dates me pretty precisely, here’s mine. Still have the 3" CD.

Edited to add I happened to scroll back up to the top of the thread then everything I’d listened to started playing again at once and it was the funniest thing ever. fIREHOSE and the Residents are the last ones still playing and they pair particularly well.

1 Like

Donny Hathaway’s humming song…

Harlem Dawn

2 Likes

Hope to add to this thread soon…

2 Likes

The shortest of short songs are compressed into TMBG’s track “Fingertips” from Apollo 18.

3 Likes

A lot of my favorite Boards of Canada tracks are the ones that hover around a minute in length, but I don’t know if you’d call them songs.

This one, though…

4 Likes

34 seconds long

1 Like

it’s close to under 30 seconds (by 2x)

5 Likes

I don’t have much to contribute here (on first thought) that hasn’t been shared already but I was wondering if you guys realize this might be the only “What are you listening to” thread where we will all have the option to actually listen to everything ?

7 Likes

On the CD this is 21 individual tracks! I realize at this point They are quite well represented in this thread but here’s another of my favorites clocking in at 19 seconds.

There is unsurprisingly a whole category for sub-minute songs at the fan wiki: http://tmbw.net/wiki/Category:Short_Songs

…which like every category page on TMBW gives me a bazillion songs I have never heard in 20 years as a (moderately) obsessive fan.

Edit: Some others:

3 Likes

Classic… this ended up on their “best of” album

2 Likes

Oval’s done a number of short tracks in his career (including two EPs of ringtones)

3 Likes

The Cat’s Miaow has many short songs but this may be their shortest. Really love this band.

4 Likes
1 Like

Really enjoying this thread!!

2 Likes

One of my favorite short songs (somewhat short at a length of 1:15) is a song I can not spell the title of because it is japanese. It is the first song of the debut album of a japanese band named ‘lamp’. It is cute and heartwarming, eventhough I don’t know what he is saying.

EDIT:

Thanks @howthenightcame for the youtube link
3 Likes

sorted my music library by length!

lots of interstitial stuff “announcement” etc

Notable things:

Lots of John Zorn from things like the film works albums
Butterfly Springs by The The
Kim Cascone Parasites
Lots of things from a John Cage compilation “A Chance Operation”
Zoviet France - signal
Alva Noto Fuel for black quartz
Napalm Death as noted
Tom Waits - interlude from the black rider - although that feels like it should be longer
XTC - History of rock and roll - more funny than a good song
still only up to 30 seconds!
Mark Spybey made an album as Propeller which is loads of tiny tracks intended to be played on shuffle

1 Like

Yamataka Eye: “We play 48 songs!”

Album length: 10:33

6 Likes